Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2015, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 2,814 times

Advertisements

Second year living in these renovated mill lofts, first year everything was great. This year, not so much.

My neighbors fight CONSTANTLY! It is a 2 female couple that screams and yells at each other starting at 7 am and sometimes they get physical (I work 3rd shift sometimes)

I have made numerous complaints to their leasing company, the cop on duty, as well as my leasing company. I have a video taken through my wall where you can hear them arguing and fighting each other. What else can I do? After nothing changing in 6 months, I'm ready to leave... I don't want to lose my security deposit though.

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2015, 12:34 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,052,691 times
Just keep reporting them to police, not your leasing office. Let them determine if domestic violence is going on. It's annoying but may not be enough reason to get out of your lease without a penalty. If you are fine with the penalty for breaking a lease early then I say, just go. Give proper notice and leave

Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,698,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraLC View Post
Second year living in these renovated mill lofts, first year everything was great. This year, not so much.

My neighbors fight CONSTANTLY! It is a 2 female couple that screams and yells at each other starting at 7 am and sometimes they get physical (I work 3rd shift sometimes)

I have made numerous complaints to their leasing company, the cop on duty, as well as my leasing company. I have a video taken through my wall where you can hear them arguing and fighting each other. What else can I do? After nothing changing in 6 months, I'm ready to leave... I don't want to lose my security deposit though.

HELP!
and just what has their leasing company, the cop and your leasing company said about your complaints? Are they falling on deaf ears or have they done anything? Have they heard the recordings?

Try to get them to come over and witness it themselves. Nothing irritates me more than to just be ignored when one has a serious complaint that disrupts ones life. I do not for the life of me understand why people think that they can bring all of their personal problems aka, fighting/arguing and disruptive noises into a shared living facility and expect people to tolerate it.

And I am not talking about normal daily noise for all of you naysayers. I am talking about what the OP is describing.

And if trying to deal with the tenants yourself does not work then I don't understand why management doesn't get involved. The disruptive tenants are like a cancer that spreads to everyone. It doesn't do a bit of good to just ignore it and hope it goes away. It needs to be dealt with before they start losing good tenants and then trying to re-rent a place and just magically expect the new tenants to put up with it.

I don't know what state you reside in but look up the tenant/landlord laws for your state. Every tenant has a reasonable right to 'quiet enjoyment' so look up what those rights are for your state.

Good luck!

Old 04-17-2015, 04:12 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Keep calling the cops....they will get sick of coming out and will issue tickets or fine the landlord. (At least that's what happens here) Call the non emergency number and ask them what exactly can you do since the PM wont do anything)

Old 04-17-2015, 10:55 AM

22,314 posts, read 29,395,806 times
Send certified letters to the leasing company with everything documented and tell them either they contact those tenants or you'll break your lease according to such and such law for right to quiet enjoyment.

Also, keep calling the cops and DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT with police reports, etc.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:30 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,002,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Send certified letters to the leasing company with everything documented and tell them either they contact those tenants or you'll break your lease according to such and such law for right to quiet enjoyment.

Also, keep calling the cops and DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT with police reports, etc.
and make sure you read your lease regarding 'early termination', it will tell you exactly what you need to do and how much it's going to cost. The norm is two months rent with proper notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting