Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sectachrome View Post
I feel like we're getting jipped ...
You're not being gypped at all and your LL is really being very fair. You can always nicely ask if a rent reduction would be possible but it's not something you should expect.

Quote:
If your internet stopped working ...
Sorry, but that's just not a good analogy. Talk to your landlord but don't demand anything as you'll end up with the short end of the stick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:26 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
A more accurate comparison would be if you owned the house yourself, will the bank forgive a mortgage payment because you didn't have full use of your home?

You did have a place for your things? The ability to sleep comfortably at night? We can go around and around. But in the end, what your experience posted is actually the opposite of many on this board that can't even get the landlord to repair anything and thoroughly at that. Again, the landlord didn't cause this. And you could have been home to mitigate the damages. Etc etc etc.

In the end, you asked for an opinion and an opinion was given. Sorry it wasn't one that you wanted.
I don't think that's a good analogy. The bank doesn't own the house, the owner does. The bank just lent the property owner the money to buy the house. But a landlord does own the property and has a contractual obligation to provide a habitable residence. Right now, the OP does not have use of the full space they contracted for and are paying rent for. I don't think it would outrageous to expect to pay a prorated amount.

As for cause, maybe there is some fault by the landlord, if they didn't properly maintain things. How old was the hose? When was it last replaced? That's routine maintenance that the landlord is in fact responsible for. And even if it was unforeseen and there is no fault, it still is the property owner's responsibility, just as it would be in their own home.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:43 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Your analogy is poor about internet. Internet companies provide a service, so when you dont have internet, you get reimbursed for your "hardship". When you rent a house, you're renting shelter. You still have shelter. Its not like the landlord is just sitting on it, they're ACTIVELY FIXING IT. What more can you possibly want?

Old 04-15-2015, 05:29 PM

36 posts, read 73,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Right now, the OP does not have use of the full space they contracted for and are paying rent for.
This is my issue. I agreed to pay a certain price for use of the entire house. I'm not able to use the entire house right now, so why should I pay the same price as when I do?

Old 04-15-2015, 06:38 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
This is my issue. I agreed to pay a certain price for use of the entire house. I'm not able to use the entire house right now, so why should I pay the same price as when I do?
There is no remedy in complaining on a forum describing how you feel. As has been suggested a few times, talk to your landlord.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:26 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,762,075 times
I would consider yourself lucky you have good landlord. I lived in a house that flooded twice due to irrigation malfunction and excessive rain pooling in areas outside causing water to drain THROUGH a wall (portion of house add-on several inches below ground level). We had a sever mold issue causing us headaches. The LL knew about the issue but failed to remedy it until I pushed and pushed. We not only got to stay in the mold infested house during the tear-down of the add-on areas but also got to foot the increased electrical bill due to a portion of the living room having direct exposure to the outside (tore down walls) and the use of dehumidifiers the restoration company used. At the time, it was summer in Phoenix Arizona, and we were air-conditioning the outside due to the gaping hole in the house. My LL DIDN'T care about setting us up in a hotel or helping with our $600 electric bill (normally $250-$300).

So, your LL offering a hotel room is a plus.

Old 04-16-2015, 09:52 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I don't think that's a good analogy. The bank doesn't own the house, the owner does. The bank just lent the property owner the money to buy the house. But a landlord does own the property and has a contractual obligation to provide a habitable residence. Right now, the OP does not have use of the full space they contracted for and are paying rent for. I don't think it would outrageous to expect to pay a prorated amount.

As for cause, maybe there is some fault by the landlord, if they didn't properly maintain things. How old was the hose? When was it last replaced? That's routine maintenance that the landlord is in fact responsible for. And even if it was unforeseen and there is no fault, it still is the property owner's responsibility, just as it would be in their own home.
As for cause, it could have been the OP as well maybe flushing something he shouldn't have. Maybe there was a leak that he ignored till it failed completely. I have said this before, but the OP could have mitigated the damages caused if he was home saving the Landlord thousands of dollars. We can speculate on tons of scenarios involving both of the OP and Landlord. But I suspect it's a complete random accident that both are feeling the brunt of it.

OP, it's apparent that you think the landlord needs to step up more and compensate you. Why don't you make it business like and divide the square footage by the rent amount. Calculate the unusable space and ask the landlord for a reduction of that amount. For an example, you pay $1500 for a 2000 sq foot house. .75 cents per sq foot. Measure the rooms that are affected/unusable. And multiply that to the .75 per sq foot. That's exactly what the internet company would have done in your earlier example.

As for the rent increase, that's usually common and I wouldn't take offense at that. I also wouldn't think you are due a discount on a future lease as the place will be fully repaired by then. If it wasn't repaired by then, of course the raise wouldn't be fair and I would contest that as well.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:49 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,692,335 times
Wow, I think she has more then compensated for the trouble. These things happen, its not anyones fault but sounds to me she made up for the trouble. I wouldnt ask for anything else..

Old 04-16-2015, 04:35 PM

488 posts, read 857,750 times
Sounds to me like not only is your landlord doing the right thing, they are going above and beyond. Everything is being fixed, she's paying for your hotel while she is displacing you, and she went over the top and got you free food. Honestly, your landlord sounds awesome and you should be grateful. A lot of people on this forum have had completely opposite experiences with their landlord.

If you owned the house and paid a mortgage, the bank wouldn't cut you a deal on your payment because you didn't have full access to the house. The landlord isn't going to get a cut on her mortgage payment either. She is doing everything right.

Consider yourself lucky and let it go. You aren't entitled to anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting