Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2015, 02:54 PM

17 posts, read 39,670 times

Advertisements

While screening an applicant, I discovered what is most likely a lie. I called the person whom the applicant listed as the current landlord and the person had nothing by nice things to say about the applicant, but I smelled something was wrong when she gave me the move in date. The dates are off by 11 years! The applicant said he lives in an owner occupied home (his apartment is the basement level). After I hung up with her, I looked up her name on white pages and her address does not match the address the applicant gave as his address. Her address and name came up in a nearby town. I called the county assessment office and the people listed as the owners of the home, do not match the name the applicant gave on his application. So, my question is- should I call the REAL homeowners or just reject the applicant? If I reject the applicant based on a lie, how do I go about informing him? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 03:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
I wouldn't jump through any hoops. Presumably you have other applicants, so process them and then just email this one and advise that the unit is no longer available and that you've accepted another tenant. If he comes back demanding to know why, tell him that there were discrepancies where his former landlord's reference is concerned and that there were significant contradictions in the application.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:43 PM

17 posts, read 39,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I wouldn't jump through any hoops. Presumably you have other applicants, so process them and then just email this one and advise that the unit is no longer available and that you've accepted another tenant. If he comes back demanding to know why, tell him that there were discrepancies where his former landlord's reference is concerned and that there were significant contradictions in the application.
Thank you! I still need to advertise the apartment though because while I have shown the apartment to several and have a few more coming to see it, his was the first application returned and filled out. Should I just email and tell him that his application has been rejected based on what you said (in the bolded)? Thanks.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:12 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
You don't have to give a reason. You don't need to call them. If they call an ask you can simply say that you went with a differen applicant. thats my standard answer.

Old 04-15-2015, 04:15 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allycat4me View Post
Thank you! I still need to advertise the apartment though because while I have shown the apartment to several and have a few more coming to see it, his was the first application returned and filled out. Should I just email and tell him that his application has been rejected based on what you said (in the bolded)? Thanks.
Sure, you can do that. It's the truth, after all! I'd let a week or so go by before contacting him. If he should start badgering you for any more information, just repeat what you've already told him in the email and leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting