Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 03:14 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

I think my best bet is to try and at least get food stamps. Almost all of my college friends have it.

It's almost hypocritical of the posters here. You expect a college graduate, probably with loans, who won't get hired by rich greedy employers because they want to hire some one with more experience, but want to pay those people as much as some one with no experience, not give that kid medicare, food stamps, rental assistance, and then tell him to get by working retail for the rest of his life. No wonder youth of America want some one in office like Hilary Clinton who believes in some communist ideas. So many youth want a French revolution here to get rid of the rich greedy people running this nation.

People visiting from European nations and Australia are disgusted at how poor college students are. Going to college there, financial aid covers more than tuition, it actually comes with a living expense. If I wasn't forced to go to my local university to cut down on costs I would have gone to a better college that could get me a job and had a better internship program. What do you expect a college kid who had neither parents go to college and no help from an adult to guide them? I'm not surprised with all the college shootings we have in America. There is such a lack of help for college students.

But no American wants to step out of their comfort zone to help anybody and that's WHY WE NEED GOVERNMENT to do it. If I didn't have to worry about expenses in college I would not be worried about finding a paid internship when I was in college.

You want to know where the 99% group came from???? There are young adults in my SAME SITUATION!

Last edited by the city; 04-19-2015 at 03:27 PM..

Old 04-19-2015, 03:19 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Do they count student loans?
Student Loans Yes ... Bank other loans No

Old 04-19-2015, 03:43 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,326,222 times
I'm on Social Security, and have five (5) part-time jobs. Most of the people that I work with on one of my jobs are also on Social Security, and also working.

I live in a lower income area, don't drive unless necessary, and my rent is dirt cheap for San Diego. I live by myself with a cat, and the only assistance that I get is $16 per month in food stamps.

All you need to do is get a second (or more) job and you'll be fine. You won't get any type of rental assistance, but you'll be able to get food stamps.

Old 04-19-2015, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I'm on Social Security, and have five (5) part-time jobs. Most of the people that I work with on one of my jobs are also on Social Security, and also working.

I live in a lower income area, don't drive unless necessary, and my rent is dirt cheap for San Diego. I live by myself with a cat, and the only assistance that I get is $16 per month in food stamps.

All you need to do is get a second (or more) job and you'll be fine. You won't get any type of rental assistance, but you'll be able to get food stamps.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 04-19-2015, 05:32 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I don't know what to say... I was always working starting at age 12 and paying into Social Security... worked all through high school and college and did not take out any loans... it took longer on the pay as you go plan... also went to school local so I could pay my parents room and board... which also started at age 12 of $20 a week...

Never could understand having to go off to school and signing up for mountains of debt...

My brother went to UC Berkeley... he had a good night time job as a data processor... when he found out he would be re-directed he appealed because that meant losing his job... he also graduated with no debt... lived in a travel trailer at a ranch working Sunday's there and Monday through Friday nights at his regular job... could only afford a small motorcycle and that was his transportation for the 4 years at Cal... he moved out the day after he graduated High School and never looked back.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I don't know what to say... I was always working starting at age 12 and paying into Social Security... worked all through high school and college and did not take out any loans... it took longer on the pay as you go plan... also went to school local so I could pay my parents room and board... which also started at age 12 of $20 a week...

Never could understand having to go off to school and signing up for mountains of debt...

My brother went to UC Berkeley... he had a good night time job as a data processor... when he found out he would be re-directed he appealed because that meant losing his job... he also graduated with no debt... lived in a travel trailer at a ranch working Sunday's there and Monday through Friday nights at his regular job... could only afford a small motorcycle and that was his transportation for the 4 years at Cal... he moved out the day after he graduated High School and never looked back.
I grew up in a rural area. Jobs are scarcer.

Old 04-19-2015, 09:03 PM

I grew up in East Oakland with a population of 400k +/-

It is true the San Francisco Bay Area always has jobs and this cycle is no different.

My first job was stocking shelves on Friday after school and all day Saturday... the owner was telling us he just couldn't find dependable help... said he would hire High School students and as soon as they made enough money for what they wanted they quit.

I asked if the job was still open and he asked if I knew anyone... said me... he thought about it and said if I got a school work permit and my parents were OK... he would give me a try... by 16 he was leaving me in charge for hours at a time...

Old 04-19-2015, 10:47 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I grew up in East Oakland with a population of 400k +/-

It is true the San Francisco Bay Area always has jobs and this cycle is no different.

My first job was stocking shelves on Friday after school and all day Saturday... the owner was telling us he just couldn't find dependable help... said he would hire High School students and as soon as they made enough money for what they wanted they quit.

I asked if the job was still open and he asked if I knew anyone... said me... he thought about it and said if I got a school work permit and my parents were OK... he would give me a try... by 16 he was leaving me in charge for hours at a time...

Driving age in NYC is 18 (17 with successful completion of driver ed). Few of my classmates drove, some of my neighborhood friends were a year older and they did have cars. Since saving up for a car was not really relevant to me at the time, I socked away all my money and had >$20K in today's dollars by the time I graduated high school.

I started shoveling snow around town at 10, had my first paper route at 12, started mowing lawns at 14, stocked deli coolers at 16. Delivering the local Sunday NYT in a SFR neighborhood is possibly the worst paper route ever.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:56 PM

For some reason my parents were against having a paper route... Dad had a route for years growing up and he was much more comfortable with me stocking shelves...

Now we only have adult carriers...

Old 04-19-2015, 10:56 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You don't 'need' govt assistance...you WANT govt assistance. Get a second job and a roommate.

What people 'need' is government out of the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting