Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 12:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,400,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
First you determine if it was an actual Eviction or just an Eviction Filing.

Second, the service should be providing you with some details about the eviction such as court and jurisdiction; you can use that to access public information usually from the courts website. I am very suspicious of landlord reported evictions with no final court disposition.

Last, if all other aspects of the application checks out and is acceptable, talk to the person. It could end up being a mistaken entry and the person doesn't even know its falsely on their report. It could been a retaliatory eviction with a final disposition in favor of the tenant. Regardless of the reason its on the report, we always speak with the applicant if there is any question as to the eviction (hate to turn away an outstanding tenant because of some a-hole move by a sleazy landlord).

The inconvenient reality is that most landlords DON'T CARE whether an eviction filing has merit, and DON'T CARE who is right and who is at fault.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,728,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The point is that most tenants never have ANY conflict with a LL.
Of the few who do... it's usually a minor matter and simply resolved.
An even smaller number of these problems will require Court action.

Drilling down into the specifics of a problematic tenant (or LL) experience...
shouldn't be needed when you have 5 others without a soap opera to talk about.

Or are you in one of the few tight markets with few applicants?
If so, you can find court records online for most counties.

This reality is why tenants are advised to not let a minor issue fester or grow.
I don't think that's true. I've had a landlord enter my apartment without notice for routine maintenance. I've also had 2 landlords not repair exterior water leaks for weeks. And another gave a prospective tenant a key to my apartment, without notice or my knowledge and the stranger just walked right into my apartment.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:48 AM

10,746 posts, read 25,954,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
Thanks Everyone for the answers. I thought it would take some digging. I was wondering this, because rental applications ask for details if you were evicted or asked to leave.

I rented an apartment around 15 or more years ago. I never had any payment issues. I ended my lease, but my roommate stayed. I was officially not living there, not subletting my room. Anyway, some months later, my old roommate/friend stopped paying rent and the eviction process started. I had visited and found an eviction notice on the door, with my name on it. At the time, I didn't care about it. But now, I wonder if there is some record of me being evicted from an apartment I wasn't living in anymore and had no responsibility for.

You didn't care about it? There was legal notice, on the door, with your name on it, and you gave it no thought?? Really? Why? It never occurred to you to address this with the landlord and or court? you said you ended your lease..some how your name was still on that lease and got mentioned in the eviction.

It's been 15 yrs...if you've been able to rent during that time, it's probably not there. But you can check with the county courthouse and ask.

Anyway....I wouldn't rent to anyone with an eviction and their drama filled stories would fall on deaf ears. There's more than enough qualified applicant out there..landlords can afford to be picky.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:18 AM

912 posts, read 5,250,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So everyone who has been evicted from this house by the resident tyrannical drunk is just out of luck even though the drunk is the problem tenant in most cases?
There may be a "resident tyrannical drunk" problem, or not. It doesn't mean it has to become MY problem.

Old 04-21-2015, 06:25 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,728,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You didn't care about it? There was legal notice, on the door, with your name on it, and you gave it no thought?? Really? Why? It never occurred to you to address this with the landlord and or court? you said you ended your lease..some how your name was still on that lease and got mentioned in the eviction.

It's been 15 yrs...if you've been able to rent during that time, it's probably not there. But you can check with the county courthouse and ask.

Anyway....I wouldn't rent to anyone with an eviction and their drama filled stories would fall on deaf ears. There's more than enough qualified applicant out there..landlords can afford to be picky.
No my name wasn't on the lease anymore. It looked like the landlord just listed every possible person who might be living there. Yeah, now that I look back, I should have cared about it. At the time, I didn't know that it could have become an issue for me. I was 23 yrs old and didn't know that it could have made it difficult for me to rent another apartment. Also, at the time, I had my parents close by so I could stay at their house if I needed to. I have rented a bunch of places since and it never came up, so the eviction process didn't get completed or I wasn't a part of that.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,400,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post
There may be a "resident tyrannical drunk" problem, or not. It doesn't mean it has to become MY problem.

So do tell us what a poor person renting from a tyrannical drunk should do, or admit the person is just screwed and at the mercy of said tyrannical drunk.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:40 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,586,429 times
Quote:
So do tell us what a poor person renting from a tyrannical drunk should do, or admit the person is just screwed and at the mercy of said tyrannical drunk.
That person should get up off his duff and get a second and third job so he can afford to move to something more suitable. Particularly if he's someone who spends a substantial amount of his "free" time bleating about his sorry lot on internet forums, day after day, week after week and month after month.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
No my name wasn't on the lease anymore. It looked like the landlord just listed every possible person who might be living there. Yeah, now that I look back, I should have cared about it. At the time, I didn't know that it could have become an issue for me. I was 23 yrs old and didn't know that it could have made it difficult for me to rent another apartment. Also, at the time, I had my parents close by so I could stay at their house if I needed to. I have rented a bunch of places since and it never came up, so the eviction process didn't get completed or I wasn't a part of that.

I'd say you dodged a bullet there

Glad that worked out in your favor

Old 04-22-2015, 04:50 AM

Quote:

Possibilities are endless, but there's no point commenting because you're not going to do anything about your situation other than ***** and moan

If living with the drunk was really that bad, you'd find a way to move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting