Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,456 times

Advertisements

I have my house leased through a management company. This was a 1 year lease and the renters kept saying they wanted to buy it at the end of the lease. That didn't happen so I had them sign a new 1 year lease through a management company. This time I put a note on all copies of the lease that I would not renew it and if the renters wanted to buy the house they would need to do so before the lease is up. They still want to buy the house but I haven't seen much action from them. The management company says they are trying to get a loan. I gave them until last evening to get the loan approved. As of today, the management company says they decided not to buy the house and will be staying an extra month. I say no. I want them out the end of this month when the lease is up. Now I'm told that the renters have an extra 30 days to move out as it is a 1 year lease. I'm in North Carolina and I have never heard of this. Does anyone know if this is true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
What do your state laws say about giving notice to vacate a rental? If you did not give the correct notice to vacate they can give notice after the 12 months.
You need to follow your state laws on renting to give notice to vacate. Sounds liek they gave the correct notice.

Say I have a one year lease. Jan 1 2015 to Decemner 31St 2015. At the end of the year on Dec 31st if my lease converts to a month to month term and neither of us gave a notice to terminate the lease either renews for another year or converts to month to month terms.

Now the way you end the lease on the exact Dec 31st day/last day of the one year lease is by either you or tenant giving notice on November 31st or Dec 1st that ther eis 30 day notice to end lease.
Your lease doesnt end as youre thinking. jan 1st to Dec 31st and youre out as a understood fact. It has a automatic renewal clause that must be terminated by either lessor or lessee.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
It all depends on what your lease says and what NC state law says (those laws are ,linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) but NC laws do say the following:

"Notice to Terminate Tenancy – Fixed End Date in Lease: No Statute. Typically no notice is needed as the lease simply expires.
Notice to Terminate Tenancy – Year-to-Year Lease: One month or more before the end of the current year of the tenancy. (NCGS § 42-14)
"

So if your lease has a fixed end date in it, i.e. lease term is written as May 1 2014 through April 30 2015 and there is no written provision for it to roll over to month to month, tenants leave by April 30. If the lease simply says 12 months starting May 1 2014 then 30 days notice has to be given by either party.

But read those state laws and your lease carefully.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:00 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Lots of tenants will tell you that they will buy the house and they have no means to do so and no intention of doing so. It's a well known tenant trick to try to get a landlord to give them preference over a "non-purchasing" applicant.

It's the same as telling the landlord that the applicant loves to garden and asking if it is OK to plant flowers. It's all a lie to get preference on the selection process. I've never ever had a tenant who asked if they could plant flowers do anything but let the yard go to ruin. The tenants who really do garden and make the place look great never ever ask if it is OK to plant flowers while they are applying.

It's best not to believe that applicant who goes on and on about what a great housekeeper they are and how everything has to be spotless. Those applicants tend to be real pigs.

OP, in your state do you ave to give a 60 day ntice for tenants who have been there over a year? If not, did you give the proper 30 day written notice before the end of the lease that you would not be renewing and that they must vacate?

I don't think any state gives tenants on a lease an extra 30 days after the end of the lease to vacate, but OP maybe didn't give notice of termination correctly.

Old 04-24-2015, 03:03 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechwood View Post
I have my house leased through a management company. This was a 1 year lease and the renters kept saying they wanted to buy it at the end of the lease. That didn't happen so I had them sign a new 1 year lease through a management company. This time I put a note on all copies of the lease that I would not renew it and if the renters wanted to buy the house they would need to do so before the lease is up. They still want to buy the house but I haven't seen much action from them. The management company says they are trying to get a loan. I gave them until last evening to get the loan approved. As of today, the management company says they decided not to buy the house and will be staying an extra month. I say no. I want them out the end of this month when the lease is up. Now I'm told that the renters have an extra 30 days to move out as it is a 1 year lease. I'm in North Carolina and I have never heard of this. Does anyone know if this is true?

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...nant-laws.html

Start here.

Old 04-24-2015, 04:11 PM

418 posts, read 728,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

It's the same as telling the landlord that the applicant loves to garden and asking if it is OK to plant flowers. It's all a lie to get preference on the selection process. I've never ever had a tenant who asked if they could plant flowers do anything but let the yard go to ruin. The tenants who really do garden and make the place look great never ever ask if it is OK to plant flowers while they are applying.
I love to garden, and I started feeling like a weirdo, I asked about gardening so much during the process of finding my two apartments. I just didn't want them to be surprised by any planting I did.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxmilw View Post
I love to garden, and I started feeling like a weirdo, I asked about gardening so much during the process of finding my two apartments. I just didn't want them to be surprised by any planting I did.

I don't know one LL who is going to complan about a yard left in good shape by a departing tenant.
I'm with Oregon on this one. The more a tenant tries to convince me how great they are the less I believe it.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:51 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,758,112 times
some people prefer to ask for permission beforehand before changing things like landscapes I made sure to ask the landlord when we were signing our app if we could do the same and double checked again a week ago since its about that time to plant the things we were looking to add.

Funny enough, they said if we end up planting enough things that give the house curb appeal, they might pay us to make it look nice again when we move out (they're selling the house when we move out in about 4 years).

Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
some people prefer to ask for permission beforehand before changing things like landscapes I made sure to ask the landlord when we were signing our app if we could do the same and double checked again a week ago since its about that time to plant the things we were looking to add.

Funny enough, they said if we end up planting enough things that give the house curb appeal, they might pay us to make it look nice again when we move out (they're selling the house when we move out in about 4 years).
My new place is newer and it's landscaped. It's attractive, but very boring. The LLs pay someone to mow/weed/prune every week. So in this case, it was not a given that even good gardening would be considered an improvement.

(Sorry to hijack thread)

Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I'm with Oregon on this one. The more a tenant tries to convince me how great they are the less I believe it.
But yes, based on what I read in these forums, I'll agree with you on this one. I'd feel the same if I were a LL. I will never be a LL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting