Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I guess I get it, but the way some of you are talking, no one can afford to take care of a pet. I disagree with that, certainly.
No, not at all. Your perception is faulty. IF you can afford to take care of a pet then you take on that commitment and have a pet. But you can barely afford to take care of yourself and that's the concern being expressed here.

I'm sorry you can't wrap your head around that but you should try to understand the reality even though it obviously doesn't sit well with you. You asked a question which was answered by several respondents who offered practical advice. I've been rescuing animals for over five decades and know well of what I speak.

THINK and don't be so hasty to condemn those who simply speak from experience.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:51 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
I don't want to argue. I'm just an animal lover who has not been in a position to own a real pet for years, and it's starting to get to me. I hate returning to an empty apartment and having to pay half of my wages just to keep a roof over my head. I grew up owning all kinds of animals, and I miss interacting with them, training them, taking them for walks, and generally having them keep me company.

I need to change this situation somehow. I want to own a furry pet.

Last edited by krmb; 04-25-2015 at 02:59 PM..

Old 04-25-2015, 04:22 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
....... I know I'm not the world's best pet parent, but I really want something that will help me be a little less lonely. ......
No landlord wants pets in an apartment where the pet owner isn't the world's best pet owner.

You really can't afford a pet right now. I suggest that you go and volunteer at an animal shelter. Those dogs and cats need some cuddles to keep them sane. A well groomed dog with some training and good manners has a much better chance of obtaining a home. You could save lives by cuddling, brushing, and training those homeless animals. As a reward for yourself, you get some really good animal companionship, lots of love and cuddles, and a sense of going good for the pets of the world.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
I don't want to argue. I'm just an animal lover who has not been in a position to own a real pet for years, and it's starting to get to me. I hate returning to an empty apartment and having to pay half of my wages just to keep a roof over my head. I grew up owning all kinds of animals, and I miss interacting with them, training them, taking them for walks, and generally having them keep me company.

I guess being a volunteer at your local shelter just isn't good enough. Carefully re-read all that you've written and if "self-centered" and "selfish" don't pop up right away then you have way more issues than respondents on a renting forum can or will possibly help you with.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I guess being a volunteer at your local shelter just isn't good enough. Carefully re-read all that you've written and if "self-centered" and "selfish" don't pop up right away then you have way more issues than respondents on a renting forum can or will possibly help you with.
I did not expect to get attacked on this forum just for asking if there was a way I could fit a cat or dog into my life right now. No, "self-centered" doesn't jump out at me when I read my posts. Adopting an animal from a kill shelter would be better than letting it get put down due to overcrowding. Some of the posters are right, though. I can't afford to keep a dog or cat right now. I do agree with that. Perhaps my circumstances will improve later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
No landlord wants pets in an apartment where the pet owner isn't the world's best pet owner.

You really can't afford a pet right now. I suggest that you go and volunteer at an animal shelter. Those dogs and cats need some cuddles to keep them sane. A well groomed dog with some training and good manners has a much better chance of obtaining a home. You could save lives by cuddling, brushing, and training those homeless animals. As a reward for yourself, you get some really good animal companionship, lots of love and cuddles, and a sense of going good for the pets of the world.
I agree. I've been thinking that the no-kill shelters are already full of eager volunteers, and there would be no real place for me, but I might be wrong. Maybe I should at least ask and see if they might have a decent slot for me.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:16 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Being able to afford a pet when you rent you need to be able to afford the Pet Deposit & Monthly fees! As well as other costs of a pet. I believe the Last statement you made ... Volunteering at a Shelter Would be the best for you.

Old 04-25-2015, 05:20 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Where on earth should I look for a better apartment? I've tried the typical approaches, like looking in the local listings and such. Currently, I stay in a studio apartment for $500 per month, utilities included. The only drawback about it, as far as I'm concerned, is (a) I can't own pets, (I really miss having a cat and dog around. I know I'm not the world's best pet parent, but I really want something that will help me be a little less lonely. I've always loved certain dogs and mostly all cats.) and (b) it's too expensive for my budget. I have nothing left over at the end of the month between my apartment and my car insurance and other necessary expenses.
You are the one who stated that you can not afford a pet. What exactly do you want?

Old 04-25-2015, 05:23 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Where on earth should I look for a better apartment? I've tried the typical approaches, like looking in the local listings and such. Currently, I stay in a studio apartment for $500 per month, utilities included. The only drawback about it, as far as I'm concerned, is (a) I can't own pets, (I really miss having a cat and dog around. I know I'm not the world's best pet parent, but I really want something that will help me be a little less lonely. I've always loved certain dogs and mostly all cats.) and (b) it's too expensive for my budget. I have nothing left over at the end of the month between my apartment and my car insurance and other necessary expenses.

Well pets require food and things that cost money. I think you getting a pet will just strain you financially. It's not going to be fair to you or the pet. And I'm not trying to attack you. If you're stretching to afford $500 a month how are you going to take care of a pet? My dogs dry food is about $50 a month. That's not counting the treats, the tennis balls etc

Old 04-25-2015, 05:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:

You need to get another job. You need to open a savings account and put money in it every week. You need to put on you big girl panties and realize you can't have a pet right now. You're barely paying your rent....how do you think you're going to afford an anything more than a goldfish?

Want something furry? Go to Goodwill and buy a teddybear

Old 04-25-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
You need to get another job. You need to open a savings account and put money in it every week. You need to put on you big girl panties and realize you can't have a pet right now. You're barely paying your rent....how do you think you're going to afford an anything more than a goldfish?
How did I get to the point where I can't even afford a pet? I work two jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting