Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2016, 01:40 PM

762 posts, read 610,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope, its accurate. You think it's landlords responsibility to prevent animal shelter deaths. And yet when you are asked to assume a similar financial burden, this is what you come up with? You are the one protesting too much - you obviously care about this issue only to the extent that it doesn't impact your own wallet.
If you ethically care about the well being of animals who end up at the shelters, yes. Have a very specific lease with your expectations and rules on having pets if you would like to help.

If I were a landlord I would no questions asked allow pets in apartments. I would consult with a real estate attorney on making a lease which addressed in details my expectations and rules involving pets making it clear to tenants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 01:58 PM

24,202 posts, read 19,206,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdomsDealer View Post
If you ethically care about the well being of animals who end up at the shelters, yes. Have a very specific lease with your expectations and rules on having pets if you would like to help.

If I were a landlord I would no questions asked allow pets in apartments. I would consult with a real estate attorney on making a lease which addressed in details my expectations and rules involving pets making it clear to tenants.
And once again, you demonstrate that the depth of your caring about thisissue only extends to spending other people's money. Come back when you're actually a landlord who has lost thousands of dollars to other people's carelessness

Old 08-27-2016, 02:03 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Quote:
Why not in the lease have specific rules regarding pets? Seems like a lot of you are just trying to do whatever it takes to save money and I get that you run a business and have a family to feed.
You're not paying one whit of attention, are you?

If a tenant has pets, there ARE specific rules regarding them. TENANTS IGNORE THEM. There were specific rules regarding the dogs that destroyed the house being outside dogs that would not come inside. Unless they managed to do all that damage from the back yard, the tenants ignored the rules that they themselves signed off on. This happens often enough to make landlords wary about leasing to tenants with pets.

Tell you what, get yourself a property, lease it out to tenants with pets for a few years, and then get back to us. Much more educational that deciding from the comfort of your keyboard how other people's money should be spent and on whom.

And did you notice, I've worked with animal rescue, almost full time, for more than a decade? Or did you decide to skip right over that part as not fitting into your scenario and agenda? How long have you worked with animal rescue, what contributions do you make to it, how many animals have you taken in personally that are homeless? How much of your money are you contributing to the cause?

Old 08-27-2016, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You're not paying one whit of attention, are you?

If a tenant has pets, there ARE specific rules regarding them. TENANTS IGNORE THEM. There were specific rules regarding the dogs that destroyed the house being outside dogs that would not come inside. Unless they managed to do all that damage from the back yard, the tenants ignored the rules that they themselves signed off on. This happens often enough to make landlords wary about leasing to tenants with pets.

Tell you what, get yourself a property, lease it out to tenants with pets for a few years, and then get back to us. Much more educational that deciding from the comfort of your keyboard how other people's money should be spent and on whom.

And did you notice, I've worked with animal rescue, almost full time, for more than a decade? Or did you decide to skip right over that part as not fitting into your scenario and agenda? How long have you worked with animal rescue, what contributions do you make to it, how many animals have you taken in personally that are homeless? How much of your money are you contributing to the cause?
Evict them if they ignore the rules.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:07 PM

Anyway I'm done with this thread. This seems silly since most landlords just want to argue that they are animal lovers but don't want pets in their apartments. In the end, all that matters is how you see yourself. You all seem to think you are wonderful, compassionate landlords so it's great to have such high self esteem. G-d bless.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
After the damage is done and the money has to be spent. Remember that it's just about impossible to get funds covering damage from the kind of tenant who does this because they don't have any AND they inevitably get outraged at the idea that their deposit, which doesn't cover the cost by half, is forfeit for damage they allowed?

So your plan is, landlords should rent to everyone with pets, kick them out after they've destroyed the property, and then swallow the loss from the damages. WHY is this your plan?

Old 08-27-2016, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Anyway I'm done with this thread. This seems silly since most landlords just want to argue that they are animal lovers but don't want pets in their apartments. In the end, all that matters is how you see yourself. You all seem to think you are wonderful, compassionate landlords so it's great to have such high self esteem. G-d bless.
Of course, you're done with it. I asked you a question that you can't answer honorably in the context of the demands you're making of others - how much of your own time, blood, sweat, and tears have you put into animal rescue.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:22 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,837,410 times
Quote:

Eviction in my area is very expensive and can take months. Meanwhile the tenants pets are still destroying property and likely not paying rent since an eviction suit has been filed.

Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Or better yet, if only 100% of tenants were responsible pet owners who kept very good care of their pets and paid for repairs of pet damage without threatening to sue, many more rentals would accept pets. Don't try to put responsibility for homeless pets onto the landlord.
This right here. If I had a complete guarantee that a tenant will be financially responsible for all the damage caused by their pet ad will return the property back to me in the same condition I gave it to them it would be one thing. But instead you get "why should I pay for the total carpet replacement when my pet only destroyed a certain section. The LL should eat that or only charge me for that spot repair."
Hence I either take a huge pet deposit or I don't take them at all. Has nothing to do with compassion. My wife and I donate about 2k a year to local animal shelters in either food, beds, or checks. And she also does $25 a month to ASPCA. So unless you donate time money or food to shelters don't talk to me about compassion

Old 08-28-2016, 08:07 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,237,430 times
Quote:
The first has nothing to do with the second. As was said, why dont you buy a rental and rent it out to someone with pets? Put your money where your mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting