Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:54 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Well according to a lot of landlords they have their bills to pay just as we do. An apartment sitting empty isn't making any money for the landlord. Let them sit empty for a year .... maybe longer. Of course I know this is just my silly fantasy.
What is not being considered, is that there is a rental shortage in most of the country today. So a rental does not sit vacant very long if at all. May sit vacant a very few days, as the manager figures out which tenant would be acceptable for the unit. If you are not that particular a couple of days at the most.

If you rent to pet owners, the vacancy period is longer, as it takes time to solve pet damage, and deodorize after the pet owner tenant leaves.

So why would an owner want pets, as it increases maintenance costs, and longer vacancy. Plus if it is a problem pet, it can drive other good tenants from the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 11:58 AM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
where the hell do you guys live that you have problems renting with pets?

I rented 4 places back to back, in the exact areas that I wanted, one year lease each, while having 2 dogs without a single problem. And after each move out I got my entire security deposit back.

Now, if your credit is shot, your references are lame, you've got collections, lawsuits and evictions on your name.. well.. the pet ain't the problem. It's you.

If you are looking for a penthouse apartment, with door service and indoor swimming pool, and your budget is $525 a month.. well.. it ain't pet hating landlords that are the problem. It's you.

In fact, of all the pet owners that I know, who rent, none of them have had problems finding a suitable place to live. I just don't get how this topic comes up so often and people make such ludicrous claims like "No pets in rentals Policy effectively means only homeowners are allowed to have a pet in this country." RIDICULOUS. And I'll reiterate, if you are a qualified, non-problem applicant then renting with pets is not an issue.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:08 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post

I rented 4 places back to back, in the exact areas that I wanted, one year lease each, while having 2 dogs without a single problem. And after each move out I got my entire security deposit back.

Now, if your credit is shot, your references are lame, you've got collections, lawsuits and evictions on your name.. well.. the pet ain't the problem. It's you.

If you are looking for a penthouse apartment, with door service and indoor swimming pool, and your budget is $525 a month.. well.. it ain't pet hating landlords that are the problem. It's you.

In fact, of all the pet owners that I know, who rent, none of them have had problems finding a suitable place to live. I just don't get how this topic comes up so often and people make such ludicrous claims like "No pets in rentals Policy effectively means only homeowners are allowed to have a pet in this country." RIDICULOUS. And I'll reiterate, if you are a qualified, non-problem applicant then renting with pets is not an issue.
I am really glad in your area you haven't encountered this. However in my area it's a little harder. Out of 10 or so rentals I called, only 1 or 2 would accept as long it was a single dog and under a certain weight. Which for me was perfect as that's what I had and yes I have gotten my deposit back every time and had great references for the "next" landlord so credit wasn't an issue for me.

Again, fantastic that in YOUR area you and everyone you know has no issues, in other areas (it's a mighty big world out here) there are restrictions.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:22 PM

950 posts, read 924,487 times
If I was a landlord I would make it very clear.............NO PETS.

I would make no exception whether that pet was a dog,a cat, a chicken, a pig, a goat, or a cow.

When traveling, I won't even consider a motel that says..........." pets welcome"

Old 04-29-2015, 01:59 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
What is not being considered, is that there is a rental shortage in most of the country today. So a rental does not sit vacant very long if at all. May sit vacant a very few days, as the manager figures out which tenant would be acceptable for the unit. If you are not that particular a couple of days at the most.
Pretty much sums up what I said earlier .... landlords do it because they can.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
If I was a landlord I would make it very clear.............NO PETS.
Bully for you ...... so glad I don't rent anymore.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:04 PM

1,488 posts, read 1,967,061 times
I also have a no pet policy on my rental units but I made an exception for the last condo I bought. The owner was selling the place (short sale) and wanted to stay there. So I offered to rent to him. I knew he had a cat before I even made an offer on the property from when I went to see it. The place smelled of cat but I could tell the cat wasn't a nuisance in regards to tearing up the place.

Since I would have to clean the place and get rid of the smell to rent out to someone else anyways; I just decided to let him stay until he decides not to rent anymore. This way I can delay the eventual cleaning and have a tenant literally from the day I closed on the property.

Its been almost a year since closing and this guy is a perfect tenant. Always pays the rent on time and in cash. And so far he hasn't complained about a single thing related to condo repairs. I literally just closed on the property and haven't bothered with it since. So although I would typically never rent out to pet owners, I will make exceptions in certain scenarios where it can work to my advantage.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:56 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,766,452 times
Quote:
Pretty much sums up what I said earlier .... landlords do it because they can.
Smart landlords do it for one reason only. They do it to protect their investment, and to save themselves the problems and expenses that renting to pet owners cost them, and often cause other tenants which make other excellent tenants wanting to move because of someones pets.

Landlords have to determine how to get the best return on their investment they can, which is not near what most non landlords think it is. Renting to pet owners, is just looking for trouble and unneeded expense.

Old 04-29-2015, 06:10 PM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
I understand about not wanting to rent to people with pets but it screws it up for the rest of us who are responsible.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:12 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlitosBala View Post

Why not help others and share this magical place? Your profile doesn't give us a clue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting