Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2015, 12:20 PM

1 posts, read 916 times

Advertisements

I am trying to help a friend get out of his lease and it seems his agreement with the LL is confusing and may be illegal. The original lease was signed in September of 2011 and was renewed every year by the terms of the lease which state if the Tenant does not respond to the renewed lease within 30 days the lease is verified by the Tenant and LL. Although my friend has continued with this patterned we are wondering if it is actually legal to have a lease only signed by the LL and not by the tenant? Is the tenant not responding to the renewal lease by a certain amount of time enough for the lease to be legal?
Our next issue is the LL has not refunded the interest made from the security deposit since my friend first moved into this apartment. Does the LL need to state in the lease that they will or is this common NJ law? My friend was also never shown where the security deposit was deposited or the current balance since 2011.

Every year the LL has asked my friend for a $35 “lease renewal fee.” Is this common? The LL is not a broker.

I completely understand that my friend should have responded to the renewed lease and should have taken this more seriously. Unfortunately they did not and now we are wondering what we can do.

Thank you in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 12:43 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,851,374 times
In the first post/sticky on the forum page in Renting, there's links to laws for each state. Check out NJ and read what it states for renewals etc.

Old 05-12-2015, 01:42 PM

13,147 posts, read 21,095,923 times
In NJ, on a lease renewal, only the lessor needs sign. NJ does require that lease renewals operate in a particular manner as far as the notice, the leases, the review period and the objection period. If the landlord operated within the time periods, the lease is considered renewed unless the tenant is able to show that they never received any notice and/or communications on lease renewals, so they had absolutely no idea it was renewed. If the tenant paid a "lease renewal fee" each time, they can't claim they knew nothing about it.

So, your friend need competent legal advice because all fingers point to a legitimate valid lease renewal.

While talking to your new legal representative, ask them about the security deposit interest, I understand certain landlords (over certain units rented) must state where the money is, the interest earned, and refund interest each year. But, since the law only lets them "invest" it in secure instruments, most pay nothing on small deposits.

Old 05-12-2015, 03:36 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,065,083 times
He only has a few more months until September when it renews. Just leave then.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,817,462 times
I don't think your friend has any legal basis to break the lease without penalty. However, NJ landlords do have to make an effort to mitigate their losses by re-renting the unit or, if the lease has an early termination clause, that's another option. If there is no early termination clause your friend can discuss it with the landlord to see if a mutually satisfying compromise can be reached. The penalty in an early termination clause is usually equal to two month's rent.

Renter's Rights Breaking a Lease in New Jersey | Nolo.com

Old 05-13-2015, 09:30 AM

32,707 posts, read 48,282,845 times
Interest on the security deposit? My bank is paying 0.005% on pass book savings. My income tax certificate from the bank shows I'd earned 48 cents for the year and there is a lot more in there than the amount of a security deposit. It hardly seems worth making a fuss over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting