Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,773,496 times

Advertisements

NY official: Airbnb stay illegal; host fined $2,400 - CNET

Based on the above article, this man got fined for treating his place like a hotel in NY. I had the same experience this past weekend in NY. The place was disgusting and run like an internment camp and overpriced hostel. There were random people in the living room walking around in their underwear due to a "lingerie rehearsal". It was very ghetto. What's worse is the host was not there. He handed the entire apartment to his "housekeeper" who didn't even show us around or gave us towels. She just said "here's your room, don't leave garbage, check out at 11 or it's X amount extra per hour". Then she showed us how to unlock the door and that was it. The entire place made my mom feel very uncomfortable so we left. I was very upset about the entire thing and didn't know what to do. I was just going to leave a bad review. I just came home and when I went to airbnb I realized I could have asked for a refund. I didn't know you could so I tried. And the "host" was very adamant about not refunding me. Then I realized that he's running his place like an overpriced hostel. I don't think the guy even lives there. It seems like a violation of Airbnb and the point of it. I want to report him to NY police but I left the city. Can I still do it now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2015, 06:27 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The police won't get involved as this is a civil matter. Go to Airbnb and file a written complaint.

Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
NY official: Airbnb stay illegal; host fined $2,400 - CNET

Based on the above article, this man got fined for treating his place like a hotel in NY. I had the same experience this past weekend in NY. The place was disgusting and run like an internment camp and overpriced hostel. There were random people in the living room walking around in their underwear due to a "lingerie rehearsal". It was very ghetto. What's worse is the host was not there. He handed the entire apartment to his "housekeeper" who didn't even show us around or gave us towels. She just said "here's your room, don't leave garbage, check out at 11 or it's X amount extra per hour". Then she showed us how to unlock the door and that was it. The entire place made my mom feel very uncomfortable so we left. I was very upset about the entire thing and didn't know what to do. I was just going to leave a bad review. I just came home and when I went to airbnb I realized I could have asked for a refund. I didn't know you could so I tried. And the "host" was very adamant about not refunding me. Then I realized that he's running his place like an overpriced hostel. I don't think the guy even lives there. It seems like a violation of Airbnb and the point of it. I want to report him to NY police but I left the city. Can I still do it now?
You can ask AirBNB for a refund, maybe they can do something to his account to get your money back. Hope you took pictures as proof.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:55 PM

^unfortunately I did not .. I was so upset at the moment and didn't think to take pictures. We were so tired from traveling because we traveled 5 hours by bus from DC and got lost driving around for 2 hours and then showed up at the dump hole. I already reported to Airbnb and did not hear back from them.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:26 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
^unfortunately I did not .. I was so upset at the moment and didn't think to take pictures. We were so tired from traveling because we traveled 5 hours by bus from DC and got lost driving around for 2 hours and then showed up at the dump hole. I already reported to Airbnb and did not hear back from them.
No pictures = no proof. Put it behind you or, better yet, use it as a funny story at cocktail parties.

Do use the review function on Airbnb to report this guy.

But in the end, you gets what you pays for.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,532,629 times
Here's a funny Airbnb story. Well, not funny for the owner.

Comedian tries to laugh off ‘surprise’ Airbnb orgy | New York Post

Old 05-13-2015, 08:45 AM

If you find others that were scammed by the same guy and they took pics maybe they will let you use them.

In your review, if allowed, ask others to contact you if they had problems there.

I would love to see this ad.

Do you remember the title of the listing or the area it was in or the price per night?

Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 AM

^are you trying to view the listing?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
^are you trying to view the listing?
You got a link?

Old 05-13-2015, 11:35 AM

1,825 posts, read 2,827,853 times
Airbnb is usually very good about responding to complaints. If you have a good track record with them (that is, not your first time renting) then they are likely to find your report credible even without pictures, particularly since other people will likely have had the same experience with the host.

We had an issue come up once where a (reputable) host canceled on us three days before a European vacation. We reported it to AirBnb and within an hour they'd not only refunded out money but given us 25% additional back in credit -and they told us to let them know if we couldn't find a suitable replacement (presumably to find a hotel or something along those lines).

In a business like theirs, something will always go wrong sooner or later - it's just a question of how they handle it. I really enjoy using them even though their fees are pretty high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting