Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 03:57 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times

Advertisements

60 year old watch out for lead if you plan on sanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 04:04 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
I have quite a bit of experience and realize the landlord's allowance won't go far. However, for them this is unusually generous as they are extremely tight with their repairs. I won't be getting any fresh coat until we move out unless I will be the one putting it on.

I think I will go with slightly cheaper paint and skip the primer, maybe try to get away with one coat as the color will be light. If I do it, it will be strictly for me so I don't have to look at the current ugliness every day for another year. The satin paint they put on prior to us moving in is in a really bad shape and not cleanable anymore; in fact, it is so old that the sheen is almost gone in certain areas, I don't know why, likely it's very cheap and worn-out. This rental is over 60 years old and has been through some heavy wear with no updates. I am inclined to paint it even though it's not making any financial sense.
Thank you, guys, for all your suggestions. It's nice to be able to compare opinions.
Don't skip the primer or get the paint that's 2 in 1 and match the color that's already on the walls somewhat so you can get away with doing just one coat.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:06 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
As a one time landlord, it's not a suggestion, it's a requirement, that you get from your LL that you will not have to repaint to the same color you rented... As a past landlord, I would have provided that in writing before they asked, but the home we rented out was spotless when they moved in... I wish I could say that when they moved out... but, that's what small claims court is all about...

Old 05-15-2015, 10:02 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I would not paint no matter what the landlord tells you and $125.00 is not nearly enough of an allowance for repair, sand, primer, paint and hours put in.
You have put up with it this long put up with it until you move and let the landlord do what he is responsible for instead of giving him rent and free labor.
^^Agreed!

Plus, if you do end up painting make damn sure you use tarps and tape, etc. What happens if you drop a can of paint or a roller onto the carpet or hardwood floors? You can be guaranteed that you will be the one having to pay for that or any other mess ups you cause from painting. And what happens when LL says you did a bad job of painting when you move out?

Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
I would shop for paint. I have found "mistake" paint that is totally suitable at times and saves about $25 a gallon...Just look through your nearest hardware or big box store and find the color and finish you want...Trim work will be a bit harder, sanding and prepping takes time...But, for me the aesthetics are worth it. Maybe if you do a room or area every week or so it won't feel so overwhelming.

If you are worried about your deposit....take pics before painting....and then provide before and after pics for your L.L.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:36 PM

1,580 posts, read 1,988,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
We as tenants have lived in this house for a year and plan to renew for another year. We have permission to repaint walls in up to semi-gloss sheen of our chosen color. The landlords will give $125 allowance to buy paint. The house is about 1100 sq ft. The walls, ceilings and trims are currently in really bad shape, a lot of patching, holes, different sheens and colors of messy touch-ups. They were not repainted when we moved in. I would say at least for three years. The only reason I consider semi-gloss is because we already have satin in two rooms, and still not durable enough to withstand our household's wear. I plan to use Benjamin Moore paints and primer for this job.

The landlords won't repaint themselves. I am a good, but very slow and detailed painter. It would take repairing the walls, sanding, washing, priming, two-coat covering with a good quality paint of virtually all the surfaces to make it look acceptable. Why we stay in this run-down place and even consider doing this? Because this is all we can afford now and because we don't want to spend all our earnings on rent.

Please advice: should I go ahead and repaint the place? I feel something needs to be done as the paint is not in acceptable condition and really looks terrible. But it's an enormous job for me to do it alone. If we only stay one more year, is it even worth it?

I want the place we live at to look its best, and we did accept the house in the condition it was in, but only because of the lower than average rent. So, what would you do?
I'd paint it. Your emotional well being is important! However...BM paint for a rental? Go find the color you like and get it matched by HOme Depot and buy Behr or Glidden. Better yet, buy it at Walmart.

Old 05-18-2015, 10:40 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
I'd paint it. Your emotional well being is important! However...BM paint for a rental? Go find the color you like and get it matched by HOme Depot and buy Behr or Glidden. Better yet, buy it at Walmart.

If the original poster's "emotional well being" was being affected so terribly the walls and environment of the entire rental would have been an issue long ago, not after living there for a few years.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:46 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
Its only paint, I would paint it myself.
if you plan to live there for more that a year, do it yourself and call it a day.
I always painted my apartments when i rented.

My first apt the lease said no colors, I painted it anyway, i dont really give a crap.
besides Im a better painter anyway

Old 05-19-2015, 01:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
What do you do to the walls such that it can't withstand your wear and tear?

Do you rub your body on it?
I hardly ever touch any walls in my own house.

Old 09-20-2015, 08:40 AM

109 posts, read 554,534 times
Update: repainted the walls and some doors with a semi-gloss washable warm tan color and couldn't be happier. PM was happy too. Bet they can rent this shack for a few bucks more after we leave it looks so good now! It was worth the time and money invested, and I love it, even if it is just for one more year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting