Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2015, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 5,901 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I live in a 3 bedroom apartment in a large building in Jersey City, NJ with two roommates. All our of names are on the lease.
One of our roommates is planning on having her parents stay at our apartment in her room for one month as they visit from another country. She travels for work and flies to a different city for the week and comes home on weekends. She is planning to take her parents with her to the other city with her for one week, work remotely from home another week with them staying in the apartment, and for the remaining weeks have them stay in the apartment without her.
Both myself and the other roommate are uncomfortable with this as we do not know her parents and she does not plan on having them contribute monetarily. We are all working women in our 20s so the addition of two parents really throws off the vibe of the apartment.
I have spoke with my property manager and they define a guest as someone staying for less than 14 days.
I want to know my legal rights. Especially considering they will be in the apartment for an extended amount of time without her being physically there. Is this considered trespassing?
Thank you in advance for any helpful information.
Charlotte
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 02:17 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
Sounds mean! Is she not going to keep paying her part? I am not sure why her parents would need to pay anything. Long as the room mate paying as normal. Don't sound like they going to be there all the time either.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:25 PM

2,852 posts, read 1,613,441 times
Before talking about legal issues, I'd simply have a conversation with her and your other roommate - and let her know that you're not comfortable with that arrangement. Did she ask you both if that was ok, or TELL you these were her plans? I'd feel like you and would not want them to 'visit' that long either...

Good luck.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds mean! Is she not going to keep paying her part? I am not sure why her parents would need to pay anything. Long as the room mate paying as normal. Don't sound like they going to be there all the time either.
She is going to keep paying her share of rent. But this obviously adds stress to the utility bills and just general personal space.
These people are strangers to me and my other roommate. We came into this living situation without knowing each other previously, if we were family friends it would be different.
I am mostly concerned with the issue of them being in the space while their daughter is not in the same state. They are not on the lease, and have no responsibility to the property.

Old 05-15-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumf View Post
Before talking about legal issues, I'd simply have a conversation with her and your other roommate - and let her know that you're not comfortable with that arrangement. Did she ask you both if that was ok, or TELL you these were her plans? I'd feel like you and would not want them to 'visit' that long either...

Good luck.
She did not talk about this with either roommate beforehand and has given me a little over a week's notice. I expressed to her that I was uncomfortable with this and that it will affect my quality of life.
She reacted very emotionally, expressing shock that I would be uncomfortable with this situation. Also stating that it is too late at this point to change plans and that her parents would be staying.

In the past we have all been very respectful with regards to guests. With prior notice being given. However all of our guests were short term (nothing more than one night)

Old 05-15-2015, 03:46 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Legally speaking in my leases it is considered breach if someone not named on the lease stays for longer than 2 weeks, as it seems is your case. If I found out I would send a written request to fix the situation as with all breaches of the lease terms. For you this could mean potential lease termination as all guests are the lease holders guests.

Personally I would talk to your roommate and explain that you aren't comfortable with the extended stay because it is a breach of the lease and you don't want to risk eviction.

Old 05-15-2015, 03:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phasm View Post
I have spoke with my property manager and they define a guest as someone staying for less than 14 days.
Seems to me that that answers the question. You need to sit down with this roommate for a serious chat as this is a huge imposition on a group living situation where you're all named on the lease. The parents need to be found their own accommodation close by but in my opinion this roommate's plan is totally unacceptable.

Old 05-15-2015, 04:09 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
You should talk to your roommate. It is uncomfortable, however her inviting her parents to stay for a month is absolutely unreasonable without getting your permission.

Sit her down and tell her exactly what you told us. Instead of going around behind her back creating a larger problem (getting kicked out of your apartment, losing a roommate, creating a hostile living situation) you should have gone to your roommate immediately.

Old 05-15-2015, 06:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times
You said they would be going with their DD your roommate 1 week ... & she would be their with them on weekends. You not comfortable with her parents. Who I figure be out seeing the sites. But you can handle 1 nite stands!!!! WOW

Old 05-15-2015, 06:21 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,935,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Seems to me that that answers the question. You need to sit down with this roommate for a serious chat as this is a huge imposition on a group living situation where you're all named on the lease. The parents need to be found their own accommodation close by but in my opinion this roommate's plan is totally unacceptable.
I agree. Not acceptable and not legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting