Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2015, 03:32 PM

1,763 posts, read 2,047,091 times

Advertisements

If you got your rental with steam cleaned carpets, you should return your rental with steam cleaned carpets.

Not with a little bit of dirt on top.

Come on man, fair is fair. Don't call it normal wear and tear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2015, 03:52 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
If you got your rental with steam cleaned carpets, you should return your rental with steam cleaned carpets.

Not with a little bit of dirt on top.

Come on man, fair is fair. Don't call it normal wear and tear.
Stipulate it in your lease that a carpet cleaning charge will be assessed when tenant leaves.

Old 05-25-2015, 04:41 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Unfortunately, we can't do that here.

We do require carpets to be clean and if they are not... we charge unless we have planned to replace.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Unfortunately, we can't do that here.

We do require carpets to be clean and if they are not... we charge unless we have planned to replace.
I see no law in CA that disallows such a clause in a lease. I believe in CA you can't deduct from the security deposit for arbitrarily cleaning carpets and drapes but what's said is that such deductions can't be made, "For cleaning the rental unit when the tenant moves out, but only to make the unit as clean as it was when the tenant first moved in ..."

If the carpets were professionally steam cleaned before the tenant moved in, then surely the LL can stipulate in the lease that they be likewise cleaned upon move-out?

Old 05-25-2015, 05:15 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Stipulate it in your lease that a carpet cleaning charge will be assessed when tenant leaves.
Many states don't allow LLs to deduct for carpet cleaning. They can put it in their lease all they want but it isn't going to do them any good. They can not deduct it from sec dep. I agree that the carpets should be vacuumed however, they do not need to be shampooed.
OP is in CA so it is not allowed:

A landlord cannot routinely charge each tenant for cleaning carpets, drapes, walls, or windows in order to prepare the rental unit for the next tenancy. Instead, the landlord must look at how well the departing tenant cleaned the rental unit, and may charge cleaning costs only if the departing tenant left the rental unit (or a portion of it) less clean than when he or she moved in. Reasonable cleaning costs would include the cost of such things as eliminating flea infestations left by the tenant's animals, cleaning the oven, removing decals from walls, removing mildew in bathrooms, defrosting the refrigerator, or washing the kitchen floor. But the landlord could not charge for cleaning any of these conditions if they existed at the time that the departing tenant moved in. In addition, the landlord could not charge for the cumulative effects of wear and tear. Suppose, for example, that the tenant had washed the kitchen floor but that it remained dingy because of wax built up over the years. The landlord could not charge the tenant for stripping the built-up wax from the kitchen floor....

And just to clarify:
2. Carpets and drapes - "useful life" rule
Normal wear and tear to carpets, drapes and other furnishings cannot be charged against a tenant's security deposit.[SIZE=2]243[/SIZE] Normal wear and tear includes simple wearing down of carpet and drapes because of normal use or aging, and includes moderate dirt or spotting. In contrast, large rips or indelible stains justify a deduction from the tenant's security deposit for repairing the carpet or drapes, or replacing them if that is reasonably necessary.
California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 05-25-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
OP is in CA so it is not allowed:]
A point which I addressed, probably as you were writing.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I see no law in CA that disallows such a clause in a lease. I believe in CA you can't deduct from the security deposit for arbitrarily cleaning carpets and drapes but what's said is that such deductions can't be made, "For cleaning the rental unit when the tenant moves out, but only to make the unit as clean as it was when the tenant first moved in ..."

If the carpets were professionally steam cleaned before the tenant moved in, then surely the LL can stipulate in the lease that they be likewise cleaned upon move-out?
Well, what you are saying is that the LL could deduct for tenant not steam cleaning the carpet because it was steam cleaned when they moved in, which makes no sense because they can't deduct for carpet cleaning. So your analogy makes no sense.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well, what you are saying is that the LL could deduct for tenant not steam cleaning the carpet because it was steam cleaned when they moved in, which makes no sense because they can't deduct for carpet cleaning. So your analogy makes no sense.
I did not say it would be a deduction from the security deposit.

Old 05-25-2015, 05:54 PM

Quote:
I did not say it would be a deduction from the security deposit.

What is this?

"If the carpets were professionally steam cleaned before the tenant moved in, then surely the LL can stipulate in the lease that they be likewise cleaned upon move-out?"

(the only thing I am not sure about is your question mark at the end of that sentence so I can't tell if you were asking a question if they can do that or making an actual statement)

Either way, how can the LL stipulate in their lease that the carpets must be cleaned if the state law won't allow it to be enforced by deducting it from the sec dep if the tenant does not steam clean the carpet? The lease does not override a state law.

So if the tenant does not steam clean the carpet when they move out then what do you propose the LL is going to be able to do about it if they can't deduct the cost for steam cleaning the carpet from the sec dep?

Old 05-25-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
What is this?

"If the carpets were professionally steam cleaned before the tenant moved in, then surely the LL can stipulate in the lease that they be likewise cleaned upon move-out?"

(the only thing I am not sure about is your question mark at the end of that sentence so I can't tell if you were asking a question if they can do that or making an actual statement)

Either way, how can the LL stipulate in their lease that the carpets must be cleaned if the state law won't allow it to be enforced by deducting it from the sec dep if the tenant does not steam clean the carpet? The lease does not override a state law.

So if the tenant does not steam clean the carpet when they move out then what do you propose the LL is going to be able to do about it if they can't deduct the cost for steam cleaning the carpet from the sec dep?
I was asking a question in the hopes that someone with better knowledge than I would be able to provide an answer.

I am suggesting that although in CA routine cleaning of carpets is not permitted to be deducted from the security deposit, it may not be illegal to stipulate in the lease that the tenant agrees to have the carpets professionally steam-cleaned when vacating the unit. If the tenant failed to do so (obviously receipts would be required) then it's possible that the charges for doing so could be deducted from the security deposit since it was a stipulation in the lease that the cleaning be done as opposed to an arbitrary deduction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting