Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2015, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,130 times

Advertisements

Need advise...... My son signed a lease for a student apartment unit, the type that leases 1 unit to multiple tenants on a per room basis, I co-signed lease, we are both out of state residents,
Now about 45 days before the first day of occupancy, (date on lease of move-in),
Need to notify landlord he will not be moving in, is that a breach of the rental agreement?
suggestions on how to handle this and minimize his (and mine) exposure to a potential bad credit score record....

Thank you, any help/advise will be appreciated

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Write a letter and hand deliver it to the LL. They have to make a good faith attempt to re-rent the place, and with 45 days before possession they will find a new tenant and you won't be charged.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:09 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,574 times
Default well...

Have you read your lease? Have you spoken with the LL? You may have a penalty to pay but you can resolve this w/out ruining any cc score. If you do it right...
Koale

Old 05-28-2015, 01:58 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,495,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by socrates1961 View Post
Need advise...... My son signed a lease for a student apartment unit, the type that leases 1 unit to multiple tenants on a per room basis, I co-signed lease, we are both out of state residents,
Now about 45 days before the first day of occupancy, (date on lease of move-in),
Need to notify landlord he will not be moving in, is that a breach of the rental agreement?
suggestions on how to handle this and minimize his (and mine) exposure to a potential bad credit score record....

Thank you, any help/advise will be appreciated

Mark
In most states a landlord is required to mitigate their damages, which means they have to try and re-rent the place asap, with reasonable means, and can only charge you rent until the rent starts flowing from the new tenant. They can also charge you for advertising and reasonable fees associated with the breach.

Some states allow a lease break fee, regardless. Some don't.

If you are not going to be renting the place regardless, give notice in writing immediately that he is breaking the lease and will not be moving in. Then read the lease to see if there is a lease break fee. Then, check your laws to see if it's allowed. Just because it's in the lease, does not mean it's actually allowed by law.

Here's an article on it:

Breaking a Lease and Leaving Early | Nolo.com

This page has links to each state's laws regarding a duty to mitigate:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ing-your-lease

Old 05-29-2015, 11:12 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Is this "on campus" housing? If so, this is likely not all that uncommon, and I'm sure they would have standing procedures in place on how to handle it.

Yes, it is a breach of the rental agreement, but likely one you can get worked out. There could be a penalty, there might not be. But it won't go on your credit as long as you pay whatever amount you negotiate (if any).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting