Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2015, 09:34 PM

431 posts, read 441,402 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. I am very frustrated and anxious about an issue that began a few days ago.

I live in an apartment complex in one of the basement apartments (half the apartment is below ground, the other half is not). I have lived in this apartment for almost two years, and before that, I lived in another basement apartment right across the hall.

Two nights ago I noticed one small wet spot (probably 3x3 inches or so) on my carpet. I didn't think much of it, I figured I had perhaps spilled water and not noticed. Then last night, it seemed like there were a few more spots. This morning, even worse. Several large puddles of water coming up through the carpet, enough that it soaks through my socks when walking on it and you can hear it under your feet when you walk on it.

I realized oh crap, this is coming up through my carpet (and it's cement right underneath), so I gave my landlord a call and she had the maintenance man come look at it this morning. She said that he looked all around but could not find an active leak, but he sealed off several different areas, and to let them know if the problem continues. They thought maybe it was just the rain we had last night, but I explained we hadn't had any rain two nights ago (and regardless, I don't want water coming up through my apartment!!!) it's supposed to rain most of the remainder of the week also...great. She also mentioned they would professionally clean it once it dries up.

I got home from work tonight and it did seem like the rug was drying up...so was relieved. Now a few hours later, it seems to me like it's starting to get soggy again. What gives? And how much can I push this with them? I don't want to live in soggy carpet! It's a studio apartment, so only a limited amount of space for me to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2015, 10:18 PM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Are there water lines buried under the concrete? Like they do with slab houses?

Keep the landlord informed. He doesn't want a huge water bill from a broken water line and he doesn't want a settling foundation from some water problem. He might be unhappy if it costs a lot to fix, but he isn't going to blame you, unless there is damage because you don't report the problem.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:30 PM

232 posts, read 1,648,087 times
I don't have any advice on how to fix the underlying issue, but until your landlord can get it resolved, you can put down clear plastic (like the plastic used by painters) to form walkways through the apartment. It won't fix the water, but at least you won't get wet walking around.

Old 05-28-2015, 10:57 PM

13,908 posts, read 39,079,600 times
Report it ... she needs to fix it. Don't cover with plastic that will cause it to Stink & Mold!

Old 05-28-2015, 11:22 PM

18,812 posts, read 32,248,860 times
Call your renter's insurance, too. I believe they would want to talk to your landlord about his insurance, and that could get the ball really rolling, if he doesn't get right on the problem. Your insurance should also put you up in a hotel while they work on the place, and of course, replace things if they get damaged.

Old 05-29-2015, 06:12 AM

27,203 posts, read 46,518,781 times
Slab leak

Old 05-29-2015, 09:12 AM

488 posts, read 850,139 times
Just call them and tell them it is getting worse. Water damage is no joke. It will destroy their place and will want to know. Inform them immediately and keep pressing. Every lease I've had even has a clause to report any kind of water damage immediately or I could be liable for damages, so you want to be sure you are letting them know right away. They may have been hoping it was something simple, but since it's happening again, they are going to have to take a deeper look. They can't do that if you don't tell them.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,605,394 times
Yep. Keep complaining. Politely. Daily. In writing.

And be prepared - they may have to dig up the slab under your unit. Make sure you know what you want them to do in case it comes to that, and make sure you know what your rights are.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:41 AM

431 posts, read 441,402 times
How can I find out what my rights are??? I certainly don't want to live there in that mess. I have three dogs also.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:59 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,352,315 times
I have directly in my lease that if something serious happens that we have to do major fixing that it terminates the lease. See if your lease says anything like that. If not, just talk to the landlord. I know I'd much rather have a place vacant if I had a major problem, in order to get it resolved. Since this is in a complex, they may have another vacant unit you can move to, either permanently or at least temporarily. Don't expect for them to pay for you to move...that might be covered by renters insurance, though.

And I agree with those who said keep your landlord 100% in the loop. What I always tell my tenants is that a little bit of water can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Sounds like you have more than a little bit. I'd want a call as soon as you noticed an increase of water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting