Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2015, 01:48 AM

85 posts, read 473,154 times

Advertisements

So i got this apartment in late march..

I have heard that this place used to have lot of drug dealers.

And i am assuming i am given one of the unit once rented by drug dealer.

So on very first night here, i was sleeping and i heard a loud bang and male voice , can't recall what he was saying. Since i was sleeping i didn't pay attention.

Now its may and i just heard someone knocking, i went and checked it through my door , i saw some guy standing out. OBVIOUSLY i wasn't going to open it. I went inside bathroom and waited. The guy left but this is scary.. I am female and live alone..

I am thinking to go to apartment office tomorrow to request other unit.. Is it possible?

Should i call cops next time something happens???

Also something to add: i have this very creepy downstair neighbor who ( i assume) is involved in such acitivity. Whenever i am leaving my apartment and walking through complex he tries communicate me. He leaves his apartment door open so when i leave my apartment, he says hi and stuff. I have clearly showed him that i have no interest in communicating him but i feel like this isnt going anywhere good.

Can anyone please suggest me what i can do??? I was very scared first week but then nothing happened now its back again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2015, 06:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Put a sign up, something like ...former tenants do not live hers anymore, do not disturb or police will be called.

Old 05-26-2015, 08:15 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,073,706 times
yes I agree New tenant don't disturb or police will be called .

Old 05-26-2015, 08:41 AM

203 posts, read 327,439 times
You are living in a bad area known for drug activity... what did you expect?

Seriously, the police can't babysit the area. It's obviously an unsafe place to live, did you do any research before you moved or was it just the cheapest? You aren't going to be safe until you move. Next time put a little more thought into it before you sign.

Old 05-26-2015, 09:28 AM

1,433 posts, read 1,508,752 times
That happened to DH and me once. We rented a place where a drug dealer had lived. We had two different visitors, during the day, and once DH told these people that the drug dealer no longer lived in the apartment, the visitors stopped coming.

As you're alone, the note is definitely a good idea.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNR417303 View Post
You are living in a bad area known for drug activity... what did you expect?

Seriously, the police can't babysit the area. It's obviously an unsafe place to live, did you do any research before you moved or was it just the cheapest? You aren't going to be safe until you move. Next time put a little more thought into it before you sign.
Yes, it was cheap but i also heard that since new management took over complex they kicked all those people out. From day 1 i had bad feeling about this place. Anyways, my lease is up in september.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Put a sign up, something like ...former tenants do not live hers anymore, do not disturb or police will be called.
Will do, thank you.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:44 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
I say its time to move You been there since March 2015 & these people have Not got the idea then moving may be your only solution!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:49 PM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Drug dealers know what the sound of a shotgun racking a round sounds like.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
^^This! It takes awhile for the dust to settle once the scum has been forced out so I would think it would start taming down. Just be proactive, watch over your shoulder for a bit and put the sign on your door and continue to not answer to strangers.

I would also contact the PM and let them know you are concerned. I would hope they would take extra measures for you if they know this is happening. Perhaps they can post signs up around the building.

Isn't your building security locked or can anyone just waltz in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting