Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 PM

108 posts, read 274,779 times

Advertisements

What are the disadvantages in renting my house to someone with 2 outdoor dogs?

5 yrs old, 50 LBS mixed (husky-lab) and a 2 yrs old , 60LBS Golden Retriever

The house is completely renovated don't want to take my chances without knowing much about it since I've never had pets before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 01:50 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
possible chewed or scratched doors, possible urine smells and stains. Dog c&@p in the yard, holes dug in the yard, 'racetracks' in the grass where they run along the fence or around the yard.

Both of those dogs are very likely to be very active. Both also shed.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:57 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,484,462 times
Well, neither are puppies, and neither are on (most) insurance companies "aggressive breeds" lists. So you should be good there. If both dogs are fixed, and everything else about the tenants is good, I'd consider it. Normally, my office is $200 refundable pet deposit per pet, but on a recent remodel, even with outdoor dogs (because we all know they'll come inside sometimes) we'd be more.

As for what the risks are, the risks with any tenant is that they won't take the same care of the place that you do. But that isn't restricted to people with pets. My top two most expensive rental damages were both puppies (which is why I don't allow puppies, ever), but #3 on the list was someone with no pets, who, between the parents and the one kid did $8000 worth of damage to the house before skipping town in the middle of the night.

I'd take a tenant who had excellent credit and a pet 10 times out of 10 over someone with marginal credit and no pets. Excellent credit means that even if their pet does damage, they are much more likely to acknowledge it and pay for the damage.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:59 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,131,516 times
My pet policy is small dogs only, not to exceed 25#, non-refundable pet cleaning fee $300 for 1 dog, $400 for 2 dogs. This does not exclude the possibility that there may be an additional charge for pet damage beyond the cleaning deposit.

I have considered larger dogs on an individual basis, one tenant has a 40# something, who convinced me the dog was okay.

Looking at your pets, I'd write that down and go see my vet down the block and ask them what the damage potential is. I'm not sure but I wouldn't rule out renting to you until checking with my vet.

Also, I will not rent to Pit Bulls, Rottweilers, American Bulldogs or Dobermans. Vet will rule on other breeds.

Also very important to me, all pets must be spayed/neutered.

Finally, NO CATS!!! Lots of landlords will not rent to cat owners because of the damage potential.

What it gets right down to is that there are only two issues: pet damage and cleaning, and neighbor nuisance. Landlord has no control over neighbor nuisance, such as barking. However many cities handle that problem via animal control department. Not my problem.

So it boils down to damage and cleaning, and landlord wanting to control his exposure to risk.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:00 PM

10,990 posts, read 20,573,451 times
At some time the dogs will be in the house.

There are dog training courses available at the likes of PetSmart. Were I you I would want to have evidence of training. You could also require proof of current parvovirus, distemper, and parainfluenza vaccinations for all dogs as well as proof of a rabies vaccination for any dog over 4 months of age. I would require that the dogs be flea free (collars, shot, whatever).

I would want the names and contact numbers of previous landlords. How good is the prospective tenant's housekeeping? Did the dog's chew on anything in the house? Were the dogs a problem to neighbors, did they bark a lot? What do you want the tenant to do with feces.

Personally I would write a short lease and inspect your property monthly. If they turn out to be good tenants renew the lease.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
possible chewed or scratched doors, possible urine smells and stains. Dog c&@p in the yard, holes dug in the yard, 'racetracks' in the grass where they run along the fence or around the yard.

Both of those dogs are very likely to be very active. Both also shed.
True. This post made me think. Be sure the tenants know that the fact that you allowed a pet doesn't exempt them from paying for damages the pets do. If you have to reseed the backyard after they move out, that is damage. It's amazing the ideas people get in their heads sometimes. I've actually had people make that argument, that because we allowed the pet, that is normal wear and tear.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM

Nell, are you a landlord? Just asking because your ideas seem a bit impractical to me.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:02 PM

bah, double post

Old 07-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
True. This post made me think. Be sure the tenants know that the fact that you allowed a pet doesn't exempt them from paying for damages the pets do. If you have to reseed the backyard after they move out, that is damage. It's amazing the ideas people get in their heads sometimes. I've actually had people make that argument, that because we allowed the pet, that is normal wear and tear.
My leases state that tenant must take care of yard. If I have to reseed the yard that's damage, and makes no difference to me what caused it. One way or another it is damage caused by neglect.

Old 07-16-2014, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
My leases state that tenant must take care of yard. If I have to reseed the yard that's damage, and makes no difference to me what caused it. One way or another it is damage caused by neglect.
My lease states that too. Doesn't stop people from trying to make that argument. Just stops them from winning the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting