Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 09:56 PM

418 posts, read 728,204 times

Advertisements

My last rental had brand new carpet. i was so kind to that carpet. Had a walk off mat at the front door, almost never wore shoes. Except for dents from the furniture, which should come out over time, the carpet still looked new when I moved out a year later. No stains at all. I saw the ad my landlord posted for my replacement, and it states something like "newly replaced carpet" so I think I did okay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 01:53 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I've never had a tenant ask me to replace carpet---- well, I had a woman who had just sold a house and looking to buy another house. She told me she would rent my house for 2-3 months if I would put in new carpet. The carpet was perfectly good, but she wanted a different style.

Other than that, no applicant or tenant has ever complained about the carpet. I have carpets deep steam cleaned between tenants. My carpet cleaner used a high heat cleaning machine that sterilizes, so carpets are clean. Tenants all have pets and they most likely would prefer carpet to not be too new.

As carpeting wears out I am replacing it with wood and allure, so there will only be carpet in the bedrooms.

Old 06-09-2015, 08:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,260,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post

tell him to come and see my 20 year old carpet which I walk barefoot on
Do you have to rake it before you vacuum it?

Old 06-16-2015, 12:41 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
I think carpet is nasty anyway. I don't want any type of flooring in my home that isn't hard. My husband hates it, though, because for some reason, he loves carpet. We compromise with a few rugs here and there, but I try to use smaller rugs that I can toss in the washing machine once a month or so.

I don't necessarily think tenants mean to be hard on carpet most of the time. Who wants to lose their security deposit? It can be tough to keep carpet in good shape.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
I don't like carpet. Older people seem to like it and people in areas that are 10 years behind the times in what's current.

I would rather have vinyl tiles than carpet.
Really? I get the trend but still. My place is all ceramic with carpet in the bedrooms. I like the ceramic in areas like the living and dinging room since I don't have to worry about drink spills and whatnot but, it's really a pain to keep looking nice!
Carpet, is one step cleaning with a vacuum and occasional steam cleanings ((I do mine every 6 months to a year depending)
The tile on the other hand.... sweep, mop wait for it to dry forever than the next day dust accumulates on it again. Tile and I have a love hate relationship.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:13 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Really? I get the trend but still. My place is all ceramic with carpet in the bedrooms. I like the ceramic in areas like the living and dinging room since I don't have to worry about drink spills and whatnot but, it's really a pain to keep looking nice!
Carpet, is one step cleaning with a vacuum and occasional steam cleanings ((I do mine every 6 months to a year depending)
The tile on the other hand.... sweep, mop wait for it to dry forever than the next day dust accumulates on it again. Tile and I have a love hate relationship.
But at least you know the tile is clean. That carpet gets the same amount of dirt/dust only it's hidden. Give me solid surface floors anytime. I am not picky, as long as it isn't carpet.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
But at least you know the tile is clean. That carpet gets the same amount of dirt/dust only it's hidden. Give me solid surface floors anytime. I am not picky, as long as it isn't carpet.
And that is why I hate carpet, especially in rentals. I have asked for new carpet in rentals before.
I don't want to be living in some other person's dirt. One apartment complex we moved into, the carpets were stained and dirty, so I (politely) asked to move into a different apartment instead. I don't want to have to wear shoes at all times in my own home, but if the carpet is dirty and a "little beat up" I will.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:49 PM

109 posts, read 554,801 times
100% agree with nasty rental carpeting. We wear house shoes or indoor flip flops inside. I just don't like touching any floor with my bare feet (OCD-ish). This is our first rental with tile throughout, and even though it's old, ugly and worn-out, it's so easier to keep clean and sanitized. I am not a fan of grout cleaning, though. This is where the tile gets me. I also use area rugs throughout that I KNOW are clean and washable! Ideally, I would want a nice laminate or vinyl throughout, but no luck so far.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:43 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post

True, but if you have high ceilings, it's going to echo like crazy unless you throw down area rugs.

This unit has wall to wall carpet with tile in the kitchen and baths. Personally, I hate ceramic tile, they crack and have to be replaced, the grout has to be cleaned, sealed and sometimes replaced. But I hate vinyl even more, so I'd take tile over vinyl any day.

My personal preference is wood. It always looks good and it's easy to clean and maintain. I'm talking real wood, not the that laminate crap they call 'wood'.

We're at this point right now in our second home. A lot of options and once it's in, it's in; so it has to be something I'm willing to live with.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:23 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,055,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh come on! View Post
Why can't people go barefoot or wear socks or slippers...
It's so comfortable, and it doesn't wear out the carpet like shoes do.
There's a big tiled area at the entrance wear people can take their shoes off before they set foot on the carpet.
Hopefully this posting by the OP is just to stir up a heated debate. Really? A LL telling tenants they shouldn't wear any shoes because it may wear out the carpet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting