Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 11:36 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,707,073 times

Advertisements

Probably a rather weird question to ask here but it does have to do with a rental units and I am sure there are many experts who can help.

We have a recently vacated rental that needs some serious cleaning and TLC which we plan to use the sec dep for some of this cleaning. Tenant lived in unit for 5 years.

1) This one is normal wear and tear however, we would like to clean the grout on the kitchen floor that has really darkened and dirtied over the years. (see photos). Does anyone have a good cleaner suggestion that they would recommend that is also the quickest way to clean the grout without having to get on hands and knees and apply solution into every grouted area? In other words, is there a solution you would recommend that can just be applied over the whole floor that will clean the grout nicely without a lot of elbow grease involved?

2) And this problem will be deducted from the sec deposit. Nasty, nasty dirt film on the flat surfaced fiberglass tub surround. All we know is that the previous tenant was in construction and also did some concrete work so not sure what this actual dirt/film is nor how long it has been caked on the tub surround. A few spray cleaners have been attempted however, I don't know exactly what they were but they did not take the dirt/film off. I do believe one of them was 409. Anyone have any good, fast, lower chemical solutions to remove it? Or even a natural based solution would be great!

Just give me your best tried-and-true cleaning suggestions that you swear 'by' (not 'during') please. Thanks in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Your best cleaning suggestions for grout and tub surround in rental unit-hpim4353.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2015, 11:42 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
For both, Muriatic Acid. Google it for the ratios and how to use it. But it's the quickest and easiest way. I highly suggest a face mask along with the gloves, googles etc.

ETA: Not sure if it's okay on fiberglass tub surround though, I misread and thought it was also tiled. Check that first.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:44 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
There are companies that clean grout and reseal. They also do tubs. I would call them, have it done and take it out of the deposit.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM

Looking for options we can do ourselves. The grout is not going to be deducted. It is normal wear and tear.

And also looking for the least chemically induced or harsh options if there are any that is.

Thanks.

Old 06-07-2015, 11:48 AM

563 posts, read 1,787,990 times
I use sears for many of those kinds of services - tile and grout cleaning and sealing and carpet cleaning. Their prices are competitive and they don't mess around.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:38 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,825,998 times
If you don't want harsh chemicals, then you will have to use elbow grease. Vinegar, borax and baking soda are the least harsh and work well if you put elbow grease into it. If you have an Asian market nearby, get their concentrated vinegar. I just googled it, and it's actually Korean vinegar which is on average 25 to 30 percent vs regular American vinegar which is barely 5 percent. It's the one that had to be diluted for consumption. I use that undiluted and make a paste with baking soda. It works great with a wire bristle brush that looks like a large skinny toothbrush.

Last edited by momtothree; 06-07-2015 at 01:00 PM..

Old 06-07-2015, 12:48 PM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
I recently did my whole (very large floor). It took me a long time, but I just used a a handheld steamer and a grout brush. Steam loosens the dirt, then scrub with grout brush. Finish by wiping up the loosened dirt with a wet rag. I tested this method versus using baking soda and peroxide and there was no visible difference. It won't do anything on deep set stains, but it totally cleans it up.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:49 PM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
http://www.amazon.com/DBTech-Multi-P...ywords=steamer

The above link is the steamer I used.

Old 06-07-2015, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
http://www.amazon.com/DBTech-Multi-P...ywords=steamer

The above link is the steamer I used.
cool, thanks! I wonder if that steam cleaner might work on the tub surround also(?)

Old 06-07-2015, 05:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Looking for options we can do ourselves. The grout is not going to be deducted. It is normal wear and tear.

And also looking for the least chemically induced or harsh options if there are any that is.

Thanks.

Go to 99 cent store and get this stuff called Simply Awesome. Smells like oranges and it's not harsh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting