Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 12:36 PM

135 posts, read 258,052 times

Advertisements

I've had so many problems with this landlord, but he said he would give me a good reference. I had found a great apartment and was ready to give my deposit today when the landlord there told me that my current landlord told him I was a high-maintenance troublemaker.

Just yesterday, the landlord was at my house and said to just tell people to call him and he would give me a good reference. Obviously, it was just a ploy to punish me for turning him into code enforcement after begging for 4 months to get my plumbing issues fixed.

I don't know what to do now. The new landlord was so rude to me, treated me like scum, so maybe I'm better off not living there. He wouldn't even listen to me, in fact, he threw up in my face that he had "PhD students" wanting to rent the apartment, which IMHO just shows that he is a classist snob.

I just don't know what to do about a reference now. I have a hard enough time trying to find a place because of my credit being shot by losing my job when the economy collapsed, so I'm looking at having to go live in a tent in the woods -- literally. I don't have any firends here, and don't have anywhere else to go.

Is there any way to overcome this? I have less than two months to find a place, and it's hard in a college town to find anything this time of year, because everything is being pre-leased by students for fall.

To top it all off, I'm now absolutely sure he isn't going to give me my deposit back, because if he would do this to me, he surely doesn't have any intention of doing the right thing there.

I've been crying all day. I'm 63, disabled, and just don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 12:53 PM

13,703 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Calm down.

Then, keep looking and applying, especially at smaller, private landlord type places that won't bother to run bg, credit checks.

Old 06-08-2015, 12:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Calm down.

Then, keep looking and applying, especially at smaller, private landlord type places that won't bother to run bg, credit checks.

Why does everyone assume private LL don't do their homework?

Old 06-08-2015, 01:00 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times
Have you ever been late on the rent? If you have never been late on the rent, then advise future landlord what happened with the plumbing and you don't feel comfortable there. Tell the new landlord that you were never late and show them your records if you can. Tell them they are free to call your landlord but he might mention the plumbing issues. That way they know in advance what to expect.

I would also tell your current landlord that if you can't move for "some" strange reason after they talk with him...you will have to stay longer. And there are more repairs that need to be done. Maybe he will wise up and not say anything to future landlords!

Old 06-08-2015, 01:01 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post
I've had so many problems with this landlord, but he said he would give me a good reference. I had found a great apartment and was ready to give my deposit today when the landlord there told me that my current landlord told him I was a high-maintenance troublemaker.

Just yesterday, the landlord was at my house and said to just tell people to call him and he would give me a good reference. Obviously, it was just a ploy to punish me for turning him into code enforcement after begging for 4 months to get my plumbing issues fixed.

I don't know what to do now. The new landlord was so rude to me, treated me like scum, so maybe I'm better off not living there. He wouldn't even listen to me, in fact, he threw up in my face that he had "PhD students" wanting to rent the apartment, which IMHO just shows that he is a classist snob.

I just don't know what to do about a reference now. I have a hard enough time trying to find a place because of my credit being shot by losing my job when the economy collapsed, so I'm looking at having to go live in a tent in the woods -- literally. I don't have any firends here, and don't have anywhere else to go.

Is there any way to overcome this? I have less than two months to find a place, and it's hard in a college town to find anything this time of year, because everything is being pre-leased by students for fall.

To top it all off, I'm now absolutely sure he isn't going to give me my deposit back, because if he would do this to me, he surely doesn't have any intention of doing the right thing there.

I think you should contact senior legal services for your area. You landlord can be found liable for defamation. Tell the legal aid attorney that he's hindering your ability to rent a place. They should be able to get him to just give out your dates of tenancy and that you paid as agreed. This would not be a lie, and would not be deliberately making it difficult for you to rent.

Take this information to your legal aid. There was a recent decision by the court, that even if someone tells the truth (assuming your landlord thinks you are high maintenance, etc.), if their intent is to harm your reputation and ability to get a job, or in your case to rent an apartment, they can be found liable for defamation (libel/slander).

Noonan v. Staples: “The most dangerous libel decision in decades” » Nieman Journalism Lab

I'd start there. You may also want to mention your fear about the deposit. Perhaps your attorney can also negotiate to get your deposit back.

Old 06-08-2015, 01:03 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Why does everyone assume private LL don't do their homework?
Because most of them don't. I personally ignore the current landlord except for payment history. It is well known current landlords rarely give good references unless they want the tenant gone. After all, they are losing money why would they?

Old 06-08-2015, 02:43 PM

So a friend wrote to him (without my knowledge) asking him to reconsider and he told her that his wife managed an apartment complex where I had lived and "couldn't recommend me as a tenant." I have only lived in one apartment complex in this city, which was almost 5 years ago. It was the worst experience of my life. The apartment was "sick" and made me ill. I broke my lease after I lost my job. She never came after me for any money, although the 5 year statute of limitations is not quite up, so now she still could, and is just vindictive enough to do that. If you look it up on apartmentratings.com, it has some of the worst reviews of any place in town, and she is almost always mentioned in the bad reviews, by name.

Now I'm not even sure if I accused my landlord when it was really her all along. I would hate to have to live with that witch if you did something she didn't like. Still, that's no reason to be so rude to me and throw up in my face that he had "PhD students" applying, like I wasn't good enough for his place.

I need to find out if I accused my landlord erroneously. I could not understand why he would do that, and now I think maybe he didn't. I just need to find out for sure.

The idea about going to senior services is a good one. I will probably call them and see if there is anything they can do. Legal aid isn't much help here, but I'll call them anyway.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Because most of them don't. I personally ignore the current landlord except for payment history. It is well known current landlords rarely give good references unless they want the tenant gone. After all, they are losing money why would they?
That isn't the case for me, because he has said he won't renew my lease and yesterday told me that he was thinking of selling the house. He doesn't want ME gone, he wants the HOUSE gone because it has too many expensive plumbing issues that would cost him thousands of dollars to repair correctly.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:55 PM

Another question. The application only asked for my last 2 places of residence, which I gave. Can he even go back five years ago and talk to his WIFE about me, then deny me an apartment based on that? That can't be legal.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kassie99 View Post

I remember you were in tears about him moving a tree from his own property also.

I think you need to cut your losses and use someone else as a reference. When a new landlord asks, explain the situation.

IF everything is as you say, they will understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting