Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2015, 01:24 PM

13,922 posts, read 39,229,595 times

Advertisements

Do you know that People on Sec 8 after 1 yr can ALSO BUY their own home! Homeowner Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2015, 01:27 PM

[quote=freemkt;40094168]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
The person is who they claim to be...

The person claim to have never been evicted it true...

The person does not have undisclosed collections...

I have had tenants very much want to rent from me and say they did not want to waste my time because they have a bankruptcy or medical collections...

We discuss it and go from there... and yes... I have rented to honest people that have had problems in the past.

I will never rent to a person that lies on the application.[/quote]

I have previous addresses that are not on my credit report. When I put those addresses on my app, am I lying to you?

I have two old (10+ year old) judgments I cannot pay on my burger flipper income. My hope is to eventually earn enough to pay them off with discounted lump sum settlements. When you pull my credit report, that gives the judgment holders what they need to extract payment, which necessarily puts at jeopardy my ability to pay rent timely.

So should I just give up and find a crummy fleabag flop on craigslist?
That is WHY they ask for Referances from previous LL We had a hard one on that! Since neither of us rented before

Old 06-20-2015, 01:48 PM

I want to add that IF a LL has a Problem with a Sec 8 tenant they too can contact the Office get help! We had a tenant here that got into a fight with his SO he didn't hit her BUT he put his fist thru the wall. Not a thing the LL could do to get him to fix it, he nastly said that's what Security Deposits are for! She told me there was nothing she could do to get him to fix it. I Told her call Randy or George (they do insp in my area) Well they came out the next day told the guy Fix it or be booted out of the program! Gave him a Week! 2 days later the wall was Fixed! So I know around here they don't put up with people Distroying LL Property! My Scooter with Kevin riding it ... put a hole in the wall I went right into the LL office the next day they Fixed it BUT I had to pay for it! Kevin he got more training time out in the parking lot Not in the Apt

Old 06-20-2015, 03:35 PM

28,112 posts, read 63,582,196 times
^^^ This is one of the things I miss about the old program... Housing now almost exclusively uses Contract Inspections that are paid per visit.

We no longer have seasoned inspectors that know the Owners, Tenants and the neighborhood.

I was "Forced" to paint eves in December... in the rain.

Forced because the letter from Housing said failure to complete and pass reinspection would result in rent abatement...

Recently had a new roof put on the house... just made it in before the winter rains started.

Already had the painter lined up and bought the paint for Spring...

NO ONE HERE PAINTS OUTSIDE IN DECEMBER IN THE RAIN

Made no difference to the contract inspector... AND I WAS NOT ALLOWED TO PAINT... had to hire a certified painting contractor licensed in my city and submit documentation... Inspector said he would not approve any painting I did unless I happened to be a licensed and bonded painting contractor certified by the city of Oakland.

It's things like this that drive me up a wall...

The inspector said I may have to put up the family during the painting... it took me getting HUD involved to get a ruling that painting outside eves does not require temporary resident relocation which is becoming the norm for inside painting if Section 8 occupied and the home is 1978 or older.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:42 PM

32,599 posts, read 47,842,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
......NO ONE HERE PAINTS OUTSIDE IN DECEMBER IN THE RAIN......... had to hire a certified painting contractor.......... HUD involved to get a ruling that painting outside eves does not require temporary resident relocation .........
The Housing Authority is a bigger reason for not accepting Section 8 than the actual tenants. I know plenty of landlords who would take a very carefully screened section 8 tenant but they refuse to deal with the Housing Authority.

Not all Section 8 tenants are bad tenants, but the Housing Authority can be very unpleasant and completely unreasonable to deal with.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:03 PM

28,112 posts, read 63,582,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The Housing Authority is a bigger reason for not accepting Section 8 than the actual tenants. I know plenty of landlords who would take a very carefully screened section 8 tenant but they refuse to deal with the Housing Authority.

Not all Section 8 tenants are bad tenants, but the Housing Authority can be very unpleasant and completely unreasonable to deal with.
Thank you for saying it better than I did and much more to the point...

As mentioned... I have had some excellent Section 8 tenants... the only reason I stopped participating is solely due to the changes as to how the program is administered...

Old 06-20-2015, 11:16 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,418,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
No pun intended?

I completely missed that but it is a GEM of a pun!

Old 07-01-2015, 04:22 PM

199 posts, read 382,973 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovtinAAqb_Y

nice little video of section 8 tenants lol

Old 07-01-2015, 07:44 PM

FUNNY! So the blinds fall off ALL the Time At least they turned them over! I been waiting 3 YEARS for mine to be replaced! Broke Before I moved in Not by Sec 8 Tenant...

Old 07-02-2015, 01:47 PM

One of my Neighbors moved over the weekend... NOT on Section 8! Yesterday one of the workers went in the apt to clean... Today he showed a few of the pic of the apt took by his cell phones camera... I saw them also!

We are Allowed 2 pets!... They had 3... 1 cat 2 dogs! They also had 2 kids Twins born in Nov! The apt had Piles of Poop Smelt of Sour Formula/Milk Cat pee & Male dog! There was a huge spot in on corner no one knew what it was but my guess from being a breeder for 15 yrs ... Looked like the Female dog had Pups at one point in time! No she didn't have the kids at home they were born in hospital by C-Section ) The kitchen & bathroom looked like Never been cleaned! The guy said everything was sticky dirty. They didn't leave anything behind but didn't clean... not sure if it was because of No Electricity or just being Lazy! Their Electric was turned off for non payment about 2 weeks ago. When the Electric was cut they took the kids & left the animals behind alone only came over to feed & water them 1 time a day! They were Not evicted!! They were Not put on notice of possible eviction! They came got their things over the weekend dropped the apt & mailbox key in the office mail slot in an envelope with the apt # on it. Guy also said smelled of beer & cigarette smoke!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting