Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:45 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah TX View Post
My family owns a house on Donner Lake in California with a private owners-only beach that renters can't access. In the rental listing, the private beach isn't listed at all. Why mention an amenity in the listing that they can't access? They can take a nice walk one way around the lake to the public beach, or a nice drive around the other side of the lake to the same beach.

In fact, I just looked at the listing and we don't mention "beach access" at all. That would be false advertising. If I saw a listing for a house with "beach access" that did not actually have beach access *for renters*, I would also be confused.
She's in NJ and it's a "shore house", "beach house". That's why people rent it, if they know beforehand they can't access the beach it's better. The other person who doesn't mention it must have so annoyed renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 12:59 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Then Adv it for 1 Month only so they can use the Pvt Beach area! Silly to keep them off the beach which is why they are renting.
Katie I agree. For August I have a couple renting it for one month. But they belong to the beach club so I don't have to give them access.

I am charging them less then if they needed passes. Why, because otherwise I would have to go to the town turn my family beach passes in. Then show town the lease of tenants, then have tenants come in and take pictures for their passes. Then I have to collect the beach passes back off the tenant to turn them back in.

I even had one lady said she did not need beach passes for her family. Right before booking I called her to confirm this and she told me she knew a way to sneak onto beach. If she is caught the landlord plus tenant gets the fine/ticket.

After Labor Day up to Memorial day beach is public. I rent in the winter to a off season tenant from September to May and they love it. The get four months to enjoy beach in off season with nice weather. And no pass headaches. Of course from Nov to March down by beach in NY it is freezing.

My own brother in law the summer after Sandy even gave me a speech when we went to beach. He drove to my place parked in my condo spot. We walked down block as he cant park in beach parking lot, we then went under newly redone boardwalk, and onto pristine beach. He was like it seems so unfair I cant use it on my own. I am like but you are on the beach for free and are using the beach. He was like it is principal.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:09 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
My ad clearly states Private Resident Only Beach and Private Beach Clubs are walking distance to Beach house and Public Beaches are a short drive away.
That's not clear at all, and gauging from your posts trying to clear up your question, I can understand why people would not be able to figure out what you're talking about.

Are you even aware that, for most of the country, restricted or paid access to beaches is a foreign concept? You need to spell this out in no uncertain terms: renters cannot walk to the beach at the end of the street, but they can use a public beach a short drive away.

And frankly, who'd want to rent a house a few blocks from a beach that they can't use? That's what's crazy.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's not clear at all, and gauging from your posts trying to clear up your question, I can understand why people would not be able to figure out what you're talking about.

Are you even aware that, for most of the country, restricted or paid access to beaches is a foreign concept? You need to spell this out in no uncertain terms: renters cannot walk to the beach at the end of the street, but they can use a public beach a short drive away.

And frankly, who'd want to rent a house a few blocks from a beach that they can't use? That's what's crazy.
The public beach which is only like a mile or two away charges $12 bucks a person to get on the beach. That is am amazing beach too. But $12 bucks a person is expensive to get on beach.

The state beach is only ten bucks a car load but is like 30 minutes away in traffic, only like ten miles but traffic slows it down in summer.

Where can I purchase a one day beach pass? - Beach Park - The City of Long Beach, New York*

Old 06-12-2015, 01:31 PM

92 posts, read 235,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
She's in NJ and it's a "shore house", "beach house". That's why people rent it, if they know beforehand they can't access the beach it's better. The other person who doesn't mention it must have so annoyed renters.
I wouldn't even call it a beach house in the first place. If they can see the beach IRL or on a map, they can see the signs calling it a private beach.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:41 PM

45,385 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I'm going to throw this in, and for reference you can go back to my first post here, #2, and click on the 3rd link. Or any of them.

While it's nice to say that beaches should be free the reality is that the cost of maintaining them, no matter the owner, is astronomical.

Some examples:
2015 $400K for redecking pier, refurbishing caps and refurbishing and installing several new pilings, $120K additional stone breakwater to protect pier
2013 $350K 280 feet of wooden breakwater to assist failing stone breakwaters (long story about those)
2010 $380K replace failing wood decking on boardwalk with synthetic decking
2013 $100K over these three years for sand replenishment

Grand total for beach/boardwalk maintenance 2010-2015 $1,350,000.

Of that amount roughly $400K was grant funded

Town funding $950K

For a Town with 2000 residents.

The numbers don't take into account the operation costs of our employees who staff the beach, clean it and act as general attendants for the area or our trash removal costs for the area which run around $50K May-October.

To expect the property owners to maintain a free public beach for anyone and everyone is unrealistic.

And our beach isn't that big.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:53 PM

The boardwalk in Long Beach NY that was rebuilt after Sandy cost $42 million dollars alone.

Long Beach NY which is a popular beach town near NY and has lots of rental day trippers who pack it in summer has a population of 35,000. When Hurricane Sandy struck Long Beach. As a result of flooding, hundreds of vehicles were totaled and houses suffered various levels of damage. The estimated cost of all the damage was over $250 million.

Beaches cant be free. The roads, electric, sewers, everything is more costly to build and damage is expensive to fix.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
To expect the property owners to maintain a free public beach for anyone and everyone is unrealistic.

Was it a state grant from public money?

Old 06-12-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Beaches cant be free. The roads, electric, sewers, everything is more costly to build and damage is expensive to fix.
They are free in Florida

They are free in Wildwood

They are free in Atlantic City.

Old 06-12-2015, 02:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Quote:
The public beach which is only like a mile or two away charges $12 bucks a person to get on the beach. That is am amazing beach too. But $12 bucks a person is expensive to get on beach.

The state beach is only ten bucks a car load but is like 30 minutes away in traffic, only like ten miles but traffic slows it down in summer.

Where can I purchase a one day beach pass? - Beach Park - The City of Long Beach, New York*
It seems, based on this and other posts earlier, that this condo is actually in NY, not NJ.

This whole time SandyJet, between here and your posts on the NJ forum, I thought your condo was in NJ. Odd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting