Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 06:12 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times

Advertisements

For the past few months, my daughter's best friend has been living with us. We rent our home, our landlady knows about the extra tenant, and with her here we have not exceeded the CO limits or the lease residency limit. So we are all above board. She is 18, and moved in with us because her home situation was not a healthy environment for anyone.

She does have some significant issues. Mental health issues, behavior, drug use. I walked into the situation knowing the risks, but gave her some rock hard rules, mostly about there being a ZERO tolerance policy about drugs in our home. I told her I didn't approve of the use, but if she was going to continue to smoke pot, it had to be off the premises and not brought into our home.

She broke that rule, for the second time, and I'm going to have to ask her to leave. There is no signed lease between her and I, there is no rent being paid. I contacted the police and gave them all the drug paraphernalia, which included a needle, so we suspect there is now heroin use.

I'm planning to tell her tonight that she has to move out, she's no longer welcome in our home. But she has established residency, so I was advised to legally evict her. I can find the statutes and the forms and get the process started. Because there is no lease, no rent, what do I need to be aware of going into this process? What, if anything, will make this different from any other eviction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 06:30 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Have YOU asked her to leave? I see no reason to Evict her unless she refused to move out.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:31 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieM View Post

I'm planning to tell her tonight that she has to move out, she's no longer welcome in our home. But she has established residency, so I was advised to legally evict her. I can find the statutes and the forms and get the process started. Because there is no lease, no rent, what do I need to be aware of going into this process? What, if anything, will make this different from any other eviction?
Just tell her that she has to go or you will call the police. If she refuses to leave then go to the next step.

Old 06-11-2015, 06:50 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
As Katie said, just ask her to voluntarily leave but know that if she refuses or you make it some type of order or threat:

1. You are a landlord under Title 25 Chapter 51 and have to follow the exact same eviction process as any landlord.

2. When she first broke the rule, did you serve her with a notice of breech of the agreement giving her the required 7 days to end the behavior or get out? If so, and if she broke that same rule within a year of that notice, you can move to the eviction. If not, you have to first send her that written notice and give her 7 days to stop.

3. If she was arrested on the premise for drug possession by the police or has a misdemeanor conviction for narcotic use during her tenancy, you can move to the eviction.

4. If you now have the legal authority to bring a summary eviction case, you go to your Justice of the Peace serving your jurisdiction and start the paperwork.

Unfortunately, it would have been best if the Police had been the ones who found the drug paraphernalia or made an arrest as you could have gone for an immediate injunction and eviction, but you can ask for an expedited hearing since you are living in the same residence.

Note: although you can kick her out without the benefit of the courts, she would have the right to file an unlawful eviction which (although she violated the agreements and/or rules) can cost you big time if she convinces a judge you failed to follow the law.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 PM

No good deed goes unpunished. I hope she doesn't have keys.

What are the rules if you let someone stay a week, can they say they live there and have to be evicted?

Also if a person goes, but then decides to come back the next day do you have to let them in?

Old 06-11-2015, 09:31 PM

589 posts, read 1,347,856 times
What I was told by the police, is that since she has established residency here, I can ask her to leave, but if she refuses or starts coming back, I have no legal recourse until I fill the eviction. Once I have the eviction done, then I can have her arrested for trespassing if she comes back.

I confronted her this evening, we talked, I asked her to leave and she did so. My worry is that she is using heroin, desperate for cash to feed her addiction, and while she doesn't have keys, she knows the house, the dog, and where the valuables are. We are exposed to a large amount of risk right now.

She was not arrested, and I am not prepared to give her a 7 day notice, there is no negotiation on this to me. I'm going to give it a few days to see if she tries to come back. If she does, I will have to file the eviction. If she respects the decision that she is no longer welcome to live with us, I won't move forward with that.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
What are the rules if you let someone stay a week, can they say they live there and have to be evicted?

Also if a person goes, but then decides to come back the next day do you have to let them in?
Is the person a guest or resident? If you establish that they are a guest, treat them as a guest, abide by the laws of guest; guess what? they are a guest. But if you establish them as a resident, treat them as a resident, abide by the laws of a resident; guess what? they are a resident. What's so complicated about this?????

Old 06-11-2015, 10:33 PM

Quote:
What I was told by the police, is that since she has established residency here, I can ask her to leave, but if she refuses or starts coming back, I have no legal recourse until I fill the eviction. Once I have the eviction done, then I can have her arrested for trespassing if she comes back.

I confronted her this evening, we talked, I asked her to leave and she did so. My worry is that she is using heroin, desperate for cash to feed her addiction, and while she doesn't have keys, she knows the house, the dog, and where the valuables are. We are exposed to a large amount of risk right now.

She was not arrested, and I am not prepared to give her a 7 day notice, there is no negotiation on this to me. I'm going to give it a few days to see if she tries to come back. If she does, I will have to file the eviction. If she respects the decision that she is no longer welcome to live with us, I won't move forward with that.
The police were correct and unfortunately, that means the legal process of landlord tenant must be followed. Evictions can be a bit overwhelming to the novice but understand these regulations came about because of bad landlords and equally bad tenants. So, its just the process of fairness to all parties.

Unfortunately, that was the risk with a tenant like that.

Know that she may not return but you may be hit with an unlawful eviction lawsuit if she happens to run across someone who knows the law and is lucid.

The problem is the law requires the JP to verify the notice was valid and the dates of the notice and violation are proper. If she returns and you try to evict, the JP may say you cant because you must (under the law) serve her with the notice and she has to violate that notice once you gave it to her. But if you never served her a notice, you may have a problem. That's where landlords can get themselves tripped up.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:55 PM

1,481 posts, read 3,947,231 times
at 18 she is young and dumb and likely left because she wasnt aware she could make you evict her.. change the locks put valubles away( hide them ) and file an RO on her so that she cant come near you or the home.. after 30 days she will be either living with someone else or in jail. you likely got out of this mess by the skin of your teeth. I had to evict a family member one ( my own grandson) and it was not fun trust me the kid caused trouble
after 30 days she hasnt got a leg to stand on as she has set up a home elsewhere
oh and make sure her mail is not delevered to your house ..

Old 06-12-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:

If she comes back don't let her in or call the police and tell them she is trespassing. You asked her to leave and she left, hopefully she took all her things. and hide the valuables or put them in a safe deposit box or hide them in a laundry hamper or in the back of a storage closet under old sheets or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting