Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 12:45 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times

Advertisements

Are hot tubs the same as pools as far as liability is concerned? If we are landlords renting a house with a hot tub, how should that be handled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 02:41 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Does the jello contain water?

They can fill the pool with all the dry jello powder that they can afford to buy, as long as they don't put any water into it.
It still ain't a water-filled pool.

A jello-filled pool sounds kinda awesome..

Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Does the jello contain water?

They can fill the pool with all the dry jello powder that they can afford to buy, as long as they don't put any water into it.
Jello is made with water and so is cement.

A lot of things are made with water, it does not mean they are water.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:17 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
It depends on their insurance and community restrictions. I know when I rented my home, I wasn't allowed to have anything like pools, trampolines or the like. Once I bought, I got them all. I also know in the community next to us, they aren't allowed as owners or renters to have any above ground pools. Only inground pools were allowed.

So yeah, if I was a landlord, I would spell it out in the lease. And make sure they had liability insurance through their renter's insurance and have them sign a waiver to absolve me of all responsibilities as a landlord/homeowner etc if they really wanted that pool or trampoline etc. And even then only after I consult an attorney to be sure all that was legal.

Old 06-15-2015, 04:14 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
Would I allow an above-ground pool? Hell no. They're a horrible-looking liability that kills grass and rarely ever get removed. Install a pool and you get the 3-day nasty-gram from me.

Old 06-15-2015, 05:45 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,951,921 times
Above ground pools are a blight on humanity. Whoever discovered them should be... evicerated!

They do make for funny youtube videos when fat people jump on them and they come apart though.

And no. No pools. Tenants by decree are not allowed any enjoyment of their sleeping facility.

Old 06-15-2015, 07:31 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
The tenant can sign all the liability waivers you want them to sign, but if the kid down the street drowns, or breaks his back on that trampoline, his parents haven't signed any liability waiver and you are very likely to be sued. Your liability insurance might cover you and it very likely might not.

Pools and trampolines are attractive nuisances. "Attractive nuisance" means "lawsuit waiting to happen".

Old 06-16-2015, 11:21 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
I just checked my lease agreement. No provisions in there that would prevent me from doing it so my landlord could be as unhappy about it as he wants but couldn't stop me.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
I know in our part of Florida you have a barrier of some sort around the pool. Either a fence that is at least 4 foot tall, with a locking mechanism or a screened in cage with a door that locks. Doesn't matter if its above ground or in-ground, there must be a barrier.

While the lease might not saying anything about a pool, local laws might speak volumes. We have at least 5 kids a year die from drowning in local pools. We just lost a two year old last week. Not a liability I'm willing to accept and if I was a landlord and had a pool or the tenant wanted a pool, I'd make sure they carried insurance and that the pool complied with local laws.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:30 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,553,214 times
Cure or quit notice. Remove pool or face eviction. My insurance doesn't cover pools, and it's in my lease that I use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I just checked my lease agreement. No provisions in there that would prevent me from doing it so my landlord could be as unhappy about it as he wants but couldn't stop me.
Better hope you're not month-to-month. I'd give a 30 day notice to vacate. No reason needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting