Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 09:12 AM

315 posts, read 210,798 times

Advertisements

Beyond the obvious of a great credit score, good job history and sufficient salary, references from current / previous landlords - what are landlords looking for in a tenant and how can I increase my odds of being the most desirable tenant so I can get the rental I want?

I think I'd be looking in the following neighborhoods on Staten Island and also Bay Ridge, Brooklyn -

Old Town, Westerleigh, Castleton Corners, West Brighton (especially near Forest Avenue and off of Manor Road), Great Kills, New Dorp, Tottenville, Snug Harbor, Arrochar and possibly St. George.

That said, my credit is only ok - 650 range according to FICO. My salary and work history are excellent, and I've lived in the same building for 23 years and have an excellent payment history with them. I would also want to know the best way of persuading a LL to "let" me have a cat - I'd be happy to pay extra deposit, etc.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
Oh, you will have no problems getting a landlord to want you!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:47 AM

811 posts, read 1,147,741 times
You sound like a desirable tenant already. Stability & responsibility (work and personal), ability to pay (make at least 3x your prospective rent amount), and great renting history are a LL's dream. Any time you add a pet to the equation, there's a chance that a LL would prefer an equal-but-no-pets candidate over you.

If a tenant was persuading me to allow them to become a cat owner (I've happily rented to cat owners in the past), I'd take an extra pet deposit and ask for proof of pet liability insurance. If your LL already has a no-pets policy, then covering those bases and offering a high pet deposit and/or slightly higher rent would be your best bets, I suppose. Since you're looking into new places, the best policy is always to talk personally with your potential LL, give them an opportunity to get to know you, and be open about what your potential requests are. No reasonable LL is going to turn you away simply because you asked if you might be allowed to have a cat in the future and what that would require. They can simply say no to the cat and offer the rental, pet-free.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Oh, you will have no problems getting a landlord to want you!

thank you so much. Good to know that is your first impression!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandCityGirl View Post
You sound like a desirable tenant already. Stability & responsibility (work and personal), ability to pay (make at least 3x your prospective rent amount), and great renting history are a LL's dream. Any time you add a pet to the equation, there's a chance that a LL would prefer an equal-but-no-pets candidate over you.

If a tenant was persuading me to allow them to become a cat owner (I've happily rented to cat owners in the past), I'd take an extra pet deposit and ask for proof of pet liability insurance. If your LL already has a no-pets policy, then covering those bases and offering a high pet deposit and/or slightly higher rent would be your best bets, I suppose. Since you're looking into new places, the best policy is always to talk personally with your potential LL, give them an opportunity to get to know you, and be open about what your potential requests are. No reasonable LL is going to turn you away simply because you asked if you might be allowed to have a cat in the future and what that would require. They can simply say no to the cat and offer the rental, pet-free.
Thank you so much and thanks for the great info. I will also offer to get renters insurance.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:33 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Might be overkill but if your rental market is a hot one, you might want to offer vet records of the cat with a notation that it's healthy and has no issues. Otherwise, you look "great" on paper. Good luck!

Old 06-16-2015, 10:36 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreGrrl View Post
Beyond the obvious of a great credit score, good job history and sufficient salary, references from current / previous landlords - what are landlords looking for in a tenant and how can I increase my odds of being the most desirable tenant so I can get the rental I want?

I think I'd be looking in the following neighborhoods on Staten Island and also Bay Ridge, Brooklyn -

Old Town, Westerleigh, Castleton Corners, West Brighton (especially near Forest Avenue and off of Manor Road), Great Kills, New Dorp, Tottenville, Snug Harbor, Arrochar and possibly St. George.

That said, my credit is only ok - 650 range according to FICO. My salary and work history are excellent, and I've lived in the same building for 23 years and have an excellent payment history with them. I would also want to know the best way of persuading a LL to "let" me have a cat - I'd be happy to pay extra deposit, etc.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.
You should be fine. I hope that you find a wonderful next home.
And, If I were you, I'd make sure you check out any potential LL or properties for yourself also.
Good luck. Keep us updated.

I found a couple of links with some good pointers for you as the renter.

http://www.michiganlegalaid.org/libr...know/html_view

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone...home#.ti5rn58Z

Last edited by JanND; 06-16-2015 at 10:40 AM.. Reason: punctuation

Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Might be overkill but if your rental market is a hot one, you might want to offer vet records of the cat with a notation that it's healthy and has no issues. Otherwise, you look "great" on paper. Good luck!

Thank you so much. I think I make a pretty good in-person impression as well - was just worried about the cat issue and the less than perfect credit but I am working on it. Thanks again.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
You should be fine. I hope that you find a wonderful next home.
And, If I were you, I'd make sure you check out any potential LL or properties for yourself also.
Good luck. Keep us updated.

I found a couple of links with some good pointers for you as the renter.

Before You Rent: What Every Tenant Needs To Know — Michigan Legal Aid

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ailbhemalone...home#.ti5rn58Z
thanks. Alot of things are guaranteed to change for me (all of us really) in the next 5-10 years - or could be sooner.
Thank you for the links - that is great and I will check them out later and will keep researching.

Old 06-16-2015, 04:37 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthShoreGrrl View Post
Beyond the obvious of a great credit score, good job history and sufficient salary, references from current / previous landlords - what are landlords looking for in a tenant...........That said, my credit is only ok - 650 range according to FICO. My salary and work history are excellent, and I've lived in the same building for 23 years and have an excellent payment history with them. .........
Pluses from the landlord's point of view are excellent landlord references, non-smoking, no drug use, no pets, reliable income, no criminal record, application completely filled out with no falsehoods on the application. It's important to show up on time for your appointment and to be clean and polite.

For you personally, OP, your credit score indicates that you haven't always paid your bills on time and you want to get a pet as soon as you move in. You seem to me to be a pretty average applicant. That depends upon how good your landlord references are, though. I put high value on landlord references. 23 years in one place, you only have one landlord reference. That's not ideal. I don't know if you really are a good tenant or if your landlord is praising you, trying to get rid of you.

The easiest way to get permission for a cat is to move into a building where pets are allowed. Then don't complain if there is some barking going on. Buildings where pets aren't allowed aren't going to be impressed by your request for a cat before you even get accepted to move in. Nor will they be happy if you request a cat right after you move in. No pets generally means no pets and you should only move into a no-pets rental if you are fine with not having a pet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting