Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2015, 06:46 PM

103 posts, read 200,140 times

Advertisements

I am in my late 40's and would like to save money and live comfortably too. Unfortunately, I can't have my cake and eat it too.

#1) I found a studio apartment in an ideal location (in a very nice area too-close to all amenities and work). Its a new and very clean apartment complex. But its a studio and I can't really entertain others since its so small.

OR

#2) I also found a two bedroom apartment that is in a poor location (sketchy area),but its a large two bedroom apartment and outdated looking. Not sure if I want to entertain others there due to the ugly area.

They are both $605 per month.

I don't have much stuff and lived in a studio years ago. Feels weird. I don't know if its appropriate for a 40 something yr old. I am trying to save as much money as I can to put a down payment on a home.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 PM

199 posts, read 383,911 times
go with the good area (studio) better off being safe than having to worry about being robbed/mugged/car hit/broken into by others.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:48 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Only you, of course, can make this decision. If you are concerned, and need to be, about your safety which would be a huge concern to me, then I would take the studio. Plus, taking the studio you won't accumulate or spend a lot of money on frivolous things to fill up the extra space like you would in a 2 bdrm. Plus, you will probably also save on utilities in a studio. And, if it is a nice area, at least you will feel more comfortable taking walks or go running if the mood strikes you.

Do you have square footage of both places? If the studio is large enough there are nice, creative ways of sectioning things off and really make it homey.

Between the 2 places it sounds like neither of them are options for entertaining anyway so take that out of the equation if that is acceptable to you. However, if you really want and desire to entertain, then I would keep looking.

Good luck!

Old 06-17-2015, 07:52 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_72 View Post
I am in my late 40's and would like to save money and live comfortably too. Unfortunately, I can't have my cake and eat it too.

#1) I found a studio apartment in an ideal location (in a very nice area too-close to all amenities and work). Its a new and very clean apartment complex. But its a studio and I can't really entertain others since its so small.

OR

#2) I also found a two bedroom apartment that is in a poor location (sketchy area),but its a large two bedroom apartment and outdated looking. Not sure if I want to entertain others there due to the ugly area.

They are both $605 per month.

I don't have much stuff and lived in a studio years ago. Feels weird. I don't know if its appropriate for a 40 something yr old. I am trying to save as much money as I can to put a down payment on a home.
Take the studio. You mentioned all the amenities nearby, make those where you entertain and meet friends etc. Better to have a nice area imo

Old 06-17-2015, 09:01 PM

103 posts, read 200,140 times
I agree. Safety is #1. The area is great. Lots to do and people to meet.

The studio can be sectioned off with a japanese, tri-fold bamboo divider to separate the bedroom from the living room.
I can hang a flat screen tv on the wall to save space. A couple of trendy lamps, a leather sofa and nice big painting and that's it.
It sort of looks like a nice hotel room at the Marriott. Everything is new and modern. Its just small @ 500 sq feet.

I can save money on rent and utilities for a year.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
WOW You Don't want the smaller apt cause you want to invite folks over YET you say the Bigger 2 bedroom is Ugly You figure you wouldn't invite any one over! THINK about what your saying ... YOU had the answer! Would you really think friends would come into a bad neighborhood ....

Old 06-17-2015, 11:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
The studio. No contest.

BTW, I'm closer to 70 than 60, I live in a studio and love it. I don't understand why you think a studio is inappropriate for your age.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I live in a 115 sq ft studio with my 22 pound dog. Once you get over needing so much stuff, you realize it's all you really need.

And guess what? With no guest room, you never have to deal with guests! LOL!

Just meet people at a restaurant, and if necessary, pay the tab, if you don't feel comfortable having them over.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:26 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick_72 View Post
I agree. Safety is #1. The area is great. Lots to do and people to meet.

The studio can be sectioned off with a japanese, tri-fold bamboo divider to separate the bedroom from the living room.
I can hang a flat screen tv on the wall to save space. A couple of trendy lamps, a leather sofa and nice big painting and that's it.
It sort of looks like a nice hotel room at the Marriott. Everything is new and modern. Its just small @ 500 sq feet.

I can save money on rent and utilities for a year.
There ya go! You got it!

And the older I get the more I want to downsize myself and get something smaller. I lived in a smaller 1 bedroom for 13 years prior to this much larger 2 bedroom/2 bath w/laundry I have lived in for many years now and I actually kind of wish I had that 1 bedroom back now. Plus, the utilities on this current place suck no matter how much I try to conserve. And it is far more space to clean than I care to anymore.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I betting s/he Wants Certain Guests
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting