Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 6,205 times

Advertisements

I am a renter. I have an art studio that is detached from the house, way in the corner of my back yard. I want to add a bathroom to the studio. There is no plumbing out there and I have a pretty large backyard. Do I have to tell my landlord before I add a bathroom? Can I get fined by the city for this, will the landlord get fined if I do it without permits? Will the city make me tare it down if i get caught?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 02:29 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,922,881 times
What you are thinking of doing is not something minor. You are on the right track with knowing that may be needed, why ask strangers on the Internet. Your LL will have a quick answer for you. In the end, that's the only answer that matters.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:33 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlySunset View Post
I am a renter. I have an art studio that is detached from the house, way in the corner of my back yard. I want to add a bathroom to the studio. There is no plumbing out there and I have a pretty large backyard. Do I have to tell my landlord before I add a bathroom? Can I get fined by the city for this, will the landlord get fined if I do it without permits? Will the city make me tare it down if i get caught?
Do you live there? If so, how is he allowed to rent the garden shed as a residence?

Let's say you do add a loo. You'll have to run the water line. A new sewer and water tap fee (if on central water and sewer) will likely have to be paid. Permits will likely be required, not to mention the cost of materials and plumber.

You may be looking at several thousand dollars when the shouting is over.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:35 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,756,004 times
I'd be surprised if you can make a change like that without the landlord's permission and I'm guessing that doing so without that permission may be grounds for eviction. If you get an OK, you will also likely need permits from the city to add a bathroom.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Do you live there? If so, how is he allowed to rent the garden shed as a residence?

Let's say you do add a loo. You'll have to run the water line. A new sewer and water tap fee (if on central water and sewer) will likely have to be paid. Permits will likely be required, not to mention the cost of materials and plumber.

You may be looking at several thousand dollars when the shouting is over.
Yes, I live there. IT's not a garden/shed. it's a big room on a foundation. I want to add a bathroom so I can rent it out!

Old 06-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
What you are thinking of doing is not something minor. You are on the right track with knowing that may be needed, why ask strangers on the Internet. Your LL will have a quick answer for you. In the end, that's the only answer that matters.
i wanted to rent the space out. i put the question up here because i thought i might get some landlord point of views.

Old 06-18-2015, 02:57 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,052,691 times
Kitchen and bathrooms are the most expensive rooms in a house to add/redo. $15-$20K at best. Yes, you need permission from the landlord. You would also need permission from the landlord to sublet. Permits are usually granted to the property owner not a tenant so you would need the landlord's help anyway. You will never be able to get it done on your own.

There are so many things that would have to be addressed and paid for that only the property owner can sign off on. Not to mention inspections and liability.

I know you want to do this. But why not just talk to the landlord? You run the risk of being evicted and sued within an inch of your life.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,271,700 times
NO! You Cant make that kind of change! Why would you think the Local Laws or the LL would even approve.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:25 PM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeverlySunset View Post
Yes, I live there. IT's not a garden/shed. it's a big room on a foundation. I want to add a bathroom so I can rent it out!

Ok. You described your use as "art studio". As it sits it's an art studio or very fancy garden shed.

Let's say you did this, to rent it out legally (assuming your landlord agrees) most livability codes would require a kitchen as well as bathroom.

As has been mentioned you're looking at thousands of dollars, a zoning hearing probably, some density issues depending on where it is.

Not to mention you'll be spending your money to eventually give your landlord a much approved property.

Old 06-18-2015, 03:33 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,043,113 times
Most landlords will evict you if they catch you making modifications like that without their permission and cooperation. They may also be inclined to evict you if you sublease the property to another without their permission, unless your lease specifically allows you to sublease.

No competent contractor would make modifications like that to a property without the owner signing off on it. Also building permits must be taken out in the Owner's name and the Owner is subject to fines if the work is not done properly.

Just wanted to add: If you really want to do this, the best way to go about it is for you to discuss it with the landlord and offer to pay for these improvements and the costs of getting it all properly permitted, with the condition that you will be allowed to sublease the property for a certain period of time. However, I expect that once you learn the real cost of doing something like this you will change your mind, deciding it is not affordable.

Last edited by CptnRn; 06-18-2015 at 04:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting