Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 11:57 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,757,385 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
Years ago I had a situation where I rented an apartment inside a foreclosed building without noticing it. The 'landlords' had really managed to break into the place and just started renting it out. I figured it out and stopped paying rent and found somewhere else to move to, but it was really stressful. Everyone had to move out though. My clues/red flags were when the dumpster got repo'd and the 'landlords' kept removing a for sale sign from the front that a realtor kept coming by and putting up. And the 'landlords' disappeared and I don't think I even had their real names. The building was bought by someone and they remodeled and started renting it out several months later. Feels weird when I see an apartment at the place advertised for rent. Of course I never got the security deposits back.

I know it's stressful, but it's a lot easier to take the money and move.
How were you able to sign up for electric if they didn't own the building and how did they turn the water on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
The lender is trying to buy out your lease. You can either take the money and go or you can try to get a little more by finding a new place and figure out what the cost is going to be then tell the lawyer that's the amount you need to leave. If the landlord did own the property then the lease should remain in effect which puts the ball in your court, banks aren't in the business of renting and will pay to get you out.

You hold some cards here the only way they can kick you out is if you are month to month or the new owner wants to live there, both require 90 days notice.

Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009

Old 06-21-2015, 01:19 PM

8,232 posts, read 3,490,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
How were you able to sign up for electric if they didn't own the building and how did they turn the water on?
I just went to electric company and water company and had them turned on in my name. No utilities were included but trash pickup. They didn't ask me any info but my SSN, name, and address. The utility company where I'm at now required me to provide all sorts of documents, but the one in that town doesn't check anything. You can even call the electric company on the phone and have it turned on and they bill you the deposit. You have to go in for the water company though. It's at a separate place.

Old 06-21-2015, 02:42 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Is it a Home with a Mother in law apt that your renting or some thing like that? Hows your cr? Ask if you can buy it!! IF you can maybe you should BUT make the Bank Remove the LL/ex-LL!! Buying not bad they only want what is Owed! Not current market price..

Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 PM

296 posts, read 532,389 times
The house is divided into four apartments. The landlord doesn't live in one but his daughter does. My credit score is about 685. You think this could be a good opportunity? Who would I contact? The Realtor that's working for the bank?

Old 06-21-2015, 03:20 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Call the bank ask for the person that handles Foreclosures. Find out what the Pay Off is. And get a general idea on what the monthly mortgage would be. If it sounds good to you...tell them you want to buy it.

Old 06-21-2015, 04:41 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,820,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_greco View Post
We currently have less than 0 dollars left at the end of each month there is no way we can afford a lawyer!!
If they offer you at least the security deposit amount, then move. Who cares if your landlord has your deposit. You are getting it back.

Take the offer and move!

Old 06-21-2015, 05:16 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,685,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
// snip ///

Expired at the end of 2014....

Tough Choices for Servicers After Tenant Foreclosure Law Expires | News

Old 06-21-2015, 05:20 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,990,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
The lender is trying to buy out your lease. You can either take the money and go or you can try to get a little more by finding a new place and figure out what the cost is going to be then tell the lawyer that's the amount you need to leave. If the landlord did own the property then the lease should remain in effect which puts the ball in your court, banks aren't in the business of renting and will pay to get you out.

You hold some cards here the only way they can kick you out is if you are month to month or the new owner wants to live there, both require 90 days notice.

The PTFA expired December 31, 2014. It is not longer federal law.

To the OP, check your state specific laws on this subject as some states passed their own state version in response to Congress allowing this to expire on the federal level.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:22 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,238,018 times
Didn't even know it expired that doesn't even make sense to let it expire in the first place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting