Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,963,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
But my point is with the LL being told this and he wanting her out as well if she is not renewing the lease, I would think the LL would be more than willing to send her a letter which is going to have a lot more clout than just what the roommates are telling her. And also, with the roommates notifying the LL the LL can give them advice on what to do or the LL can tell her in the letter that he will be there on the 7/31 to make sure she has moved out and to get her keys. I highly doubt she is going to mess with the LL unless, of course, she is a total psycho
This is not a lease renewal because there are new signatories to the lease. It's technically (and legally) a new lease with new tenants even though some may be remaining and it may be for the same physical unit. The landlord would have to act against the previous lease signers as a single party as they signed that expired lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:55 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,199,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_was_that View Post
Hi Everyone!

I live with 2 other girls. Myself and another girl are on the lease. The lease will be up July 31st. The other girl who is on the lease with me will NOT be resigning this lease. She said she has a new place that isnt available till sept. 1st. She told me today she will not be leaving till the end of August. Myself and my other roommate DO NOT want her staying since she is the roommate from hell. I kid you not. My question is does she have any legal rights to stay in the apt since her name will no longer be on the lease come August 1st. My name and my other roommate will be signing the lease. The one who will no longer be on the lease keeps telling me and my other roommate she is staying and has the right to stay even tho she isn't on the lease. I can't imagine this to be true at all. can someone please let me know. We also have another girl, a friend of mine wanting to move in and be on the lease with us.

thank you!
When do you sign the new lease?? I would inform your LL, and have them send her a 30 day eviction. Or, can you two just go to a 30 day lease, so that you can move with just a 30 day notice too.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:59 AM

403 posts, read 557,084 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most states have some type of residency law so that even if a person isn't on the lease, they can't just be thrown out of someplace they are living without notice?

I may not have worded it correctly so I'll try it this way. A friend and his sister rented an apartment together. The sister started dating a guy and he started spending the night. Then he would be over there all day and night for a couple days at a time. He then started moving his things in. He wasn't on the lease, but they never did anything to stop him so for all intents and purposes, they were allowing him to move in even though he wasn't on the lease. Him and her broke up, but he wouldn't leave. She was friends with several cops around town so she asked one of them how to go about getting him out of the house and he basically told her that she couldn't just throw him out instantly because he was living there. She then spoke to an attorney, who told her the same thing. So I understand that laws vary from state to state, but don't MOST states have some law like that?

Old 06-24-2015, 11:58 AM

911 posts, read 2,598,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_was_that View Post
Hi Everyone!

I live with 2 other girls. Myself and another girl are on the lease. The lease will be up July 31st. The other girl who is on the lease with me will NOT be resigning this lease. She said she has a new place that isnt available till sept. 1st. She told me today she will not be leaving till the end of August. Myself and my other roommate DO NOT want her staying since she is the roommate from hell. I kid you not. My question is does she have any legal rights to stay in the apt since her name will no longer be on the lease come August 1st. My name and my other roommate will be signing the lease. The one who will no longer be on the lease keeps telling me and my other roommate she is staying and has the right to stay even tho she isn't on the lease. I can't imagine this to be true at all. can someone please let me know. We also have another girl, a friend of mine wanting to move in and be on the lease with us.

thank you!

do something crazy like i did. clear it with your landlord and ask him if u can change the locks, then tell your room mate you're changing the locks and they'll leave. not sure how legal it is, but they'd rather leave over having their stuff locked somewhere that they cant get it

Old 06-25-2015, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 5,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
OP what state are you in?
Hi, I am in NY.

I honestly got so busy with things I forgot to check this.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:56 AM

4 posts, read 5,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most states have some type of residency law so that even if a person isn't on the lease, they can't just be thrown out of someplace they are living without notice?

I may not have worded it correctly so I'll try it this way. A friend and his sister rented an apartment together. The sister started dating a guy and he started spending the night. Then he would be over there all day and night for a couple days at a time. He then started moving his things in. He wasn't on the lease, but they never did anything to stop him so for all intents and purposes, they were allowing him to move in even though he wasn't on the lease. Him and her broke up, but he wouldn't leave. She was friends with several cops around town so she asked one of them how to go about getting him out of the house and he basically told her that she couldn't just throw him out instantly because he was living there. She then spoke to an attorney, who told her the same thing. So I understand that laws vary from state to state, but don't MOST states have some law like that?
Hi, The roommate who is not signing the new lease has known we needed her to vacate by August 1st for 2 months or more now. She is now refusing and telling us that the new girl who is signing the new lease with us should look for another place. She also thinks, as she told us that she will "stay as long as she likes and there is nothing we can do about it." I believe she is acting this way because the night before she got drunk and threw a plate at her boyfriend who my roommate and I believe was who her new apartment was going to be with (she had already told us she found something a while back). And needless to say after she did that she magically has no place to go.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:46 AM

13,703 posts, read 12,410,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post

All of them do, to some degree.

Yes, in most states its a 30 day notice if they live there and rent is paid monthly. If they aren't out after that 30 day notice, eviction proceedings start. If the judge issues the eviction, a date is set that the sheriff comes out and will forcibly drag the tenants out if need be, and the landlord can change the locks, put their stuff in storage, etc...

In this case, they have given her in excess of the thirty day notice. They need to provide it in writing, so that come August 1 if she isn't out, they can start eviction proceedings.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:36 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,099,118 times
OP, you need to discuss this issue with the landlord. If you have already signed the new lease and she is not on it, then she needs to be evicted. The landlord has to evict her.

At least that is the official stance.

But in any event, you need to discuss this issue with the landlord especially since you are moving in a new roommate/lessee. Leave out the drama with the boyfriend. It's drama and has no bearing on the lease or her not moving out.

Old 06-25-2015, 01:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,232,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
OP, you need to discuss this issue with the landlord. If you have already signed the new lease and she is not on it, then she needs to be evicted. The landlord has to evict her.

At least that is the official stance.

But in any event, you need to discuss this issue with the landlord especially since you are moving in a new roommate/lessee. Leave out the drama with the boyfriend. It's drama and has no bearing on the lease or her not moving out.
If the landlord goes to evict he is going to clear the unit
Unless there is a no sublease agreement the additiotparty is the tenant of the lease holders. If there is a no sublease agreement the landlord is going to clear the unit and they will all be out on their butts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting