Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 06:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,668 times

Advertisements

Hello, thank you for your insight in advance.

I have been living at my current place for 8 months. Two months after moving in, a leak in our kitchen ceiling began. We notified our landlord right away, she came and looked at it, said she would look into it and fix it.

Then it leaked again, called her. She said, "okay" and "looked into it"

Then it leaked again, called her. She didn't return my voicemail.

Then it leaked again, called her. Same deal.

The last leak really did the ceiling in and now its started to peel and sag. She actually answered my phone calls and came to look at the progress, said the ceiling was going to have to come down. Great.

I am a SAHM (stay at home mom) of my 14 month old and this is a huge inconvenience for us. We have no where else to go while they do these "repairs" so I am so stressed.

This morning, she sent me a text letting me know that she is having people come here at 9 am to start on the ceiling.

What do I do? Or what CAN I do? The ceiling is cracking, falling apart and debris is coming down everytime it leaks. Our lease is up October 1st so we would have to request to break the lease or go to court to break it. I know, legally she can do anything but I have a young child who cannot be exposed to this. HELP!

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 06:53 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
She sending people to Fix the problem... WHAT is your child exposed to? Take the kid to the park while its being fixed.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:59 AM

When the contractor looked at the ceiling last time, he said that he is going to have to tear down the ceiling, the 200 year old (the age of the house) debris is going to go airborne. What if my child breathes that in?

Not to mention that I have been on her ass about this since it first started and she let it go this long.

The contractor doesn't even know how long this is suppose to take, what am I going to do, bring my 14 month old to the park for four hours? Doesn't work like that.

My issue is what rights do I have? The apartment is exposing us to the elements (rain) and the repair is extensive and messy. It's not a big apartment that I can set up shop on the other side of the house...

Old 06-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Unless you want the ceiling to Fall on your childs head... Yes can happen then you figure out where you can go for 4 hours! sheesh don't you take the kid any where..Shopping park/play ground. OR go into the bedroom the farthest from the link & close the door! You reported it LL fixing it! What do you expect?

Old 06-25-2015, 08:21 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonscience View Post
I am a SAHM (stay at home mom) of my 14 month old and this is a huge inconvenience for us. We have no where else to go while they do these "repairs" so I am so stressed.

This morning, she sent me a text letting me know that she is having people come here at 9 am to start on the ceiling.

What do I do? Or what CAN I do? The ceiling is cracking, falling apart and debris is coming down everytime it leaks. Our lease is up October 1st so we would have to request to break the lease or go to court to break it. I know, legally she can do anything but I have a young child who cannot be exposed to this. HELP!

Thank you.
What would you have done? The ceiling needs fixing, she is fixing it. That's all you can expect her to do. How would this be different if you owned a home and had the same problem?

If you have renters insurance, they MIGHT pay for a hotel while the repairs are being completed.

Quote:
When the contractor looked at the ceiling last time, he said that he is going to have to tear down the ceiling, the 200 year old (the age of the house) debris is going to go airborne. What if my child breathes that in?
Probably nothing. And anyway, go to the park or the mall or something if it really concerns you.

Quote:
The contractor doesn't even know how long this is suppose to take, what am I going to do, bring my 14 month old to the park for four hours? Doesn't work like that.
Deal with it. You really think you're the first person to have repairs done to their home? Go to the park then visit your mom and then take the kid to the beach or whatever and then go eat supper at McDonald's and come back at 7 PM and put him to bed and have a glass of wine and relax.

Old 06-25-2015, 08:48 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Quote:
It's not freaking poison, and unless they are sanding out old paint or removing asbestos, you'll be fine.
Or you could take the child outside for a bit.. but then they'd be breathing pollen, car exhaust fumes, cigarette smoke.. heck.. you are right! There could even be a child-predator out there!

NOWHERE IS SAFE!!! OMG!!!!

Posts like these are proof that you just can't make some tenants happy.

1) The ceiling in my rental home is busted and a huge inconvenience.

2) The landlord is fixing the problem, and this is a huge inconvenience.

3) Won't somebody think of the children!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:54 AM

Renters Insurance is NOT going to pay for a Hotel for 4 hours!

6 months ago was dead of winter... would it been better for it to have been fixed then?

Old 06-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Listen folks, I have arranged to go to somewhere for the time being but the problem is that she doesn't know when it will be completed, she mentioned the rain coming on Sunday so I think she wants it done by then but I'm concerned that it will take until the evening to have it done or it will continue on until the next day. I can't sleep at the mall, McDonalds or park so that's my concern.

We don't have renter's insurance.
I'm happy that she's fixing it so we don't have the issue like we have for the past 6 months. I would have much preferred that she fixed it when I first showed her, especially when it wasn't as dangerous as it is now but I digress.

We just want more communication from her on what sort of repairs will be happening so we can make arrangements to be elsewhere.

CarlitosBala: And yeah, we are "hard to please" tenants who have to chase their landlords around to get simple repairs done. Psh.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:19 AM

324 posts, read 836,768 times
Quote:
Listen folks, I have arranged to go to somewhere for the time being but the problem is that she doesn't know when it will be completed, she mentioned the rain coming on Sunday so I think she wants it done by then but I'm concerned that it will take until the evening to have it done or it will continue on until the next day. I can't sleep at the mall, McDonalds or park so that's my concern.
She can't tell you when the repairs will be completed because she doesn't know. The contractor himself won't know until he opens up the ceiling and sees what he is dealing with. I don't understand what you are so concerned about. The repairs are to the kitchen ceiling. Unless you sleep in the kitchen, if the repairs are not completed in the first day just request they staple up some plastic to keep stuff from falling on your head and carry on as usual. Get some takeout if you don't want to be in the kitchen and call it a day. I think you are making way too big of a deal out of this.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyWhnChasd View Post
She can't tell you when the repairs will be completed because she doesn't know. The contractor himself won't know until he opens up the ceiling and sees what he is dealing with. I don't understand what you are so concerned about. The repairs are to the kitchen ceiling. Unless you sleep in the kitchen, if the repairs are not completed in the first day just request they staple up some plastic to keep stuff from falling on your head and carry on as usual. Get some takeout if you don't want to be in the kitchen and call it a day. I think you are making way too big of a deal out of this.
Ah see, here's something I was looking for, I didn't think i could request something like that. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting