Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2015, 09:11 PM

2,775 posts, read 3,728,251 times

Advertisements

Hello all. So just a quick question for those landlords out there;

So my oven heats up different temperatures than what I set it to. For instance, I'll set it to 425 but the back interior (middle rack) heats up between 450-460 degrees and near the front interior heats up to the proper set temp. This makes baking and cooking in the oven frustrating because food in the back burns while food in the front is almost undercooked, requiring me to rotate the food midway during the cooking process, which is a pain in the butt.

For those of you landlords , or tenants, that have experienced oven malfunctions like this, what usually happens? Will I get ignored by my property manager, or are they more likely to come out and fix it? I'm going to put in a work request, but I'm not optimistic about them doing anything about this. Last year the landlord/PM was trying to determine whether or not to replace or repair the stove because 3 out of the 4 burners didn't work. In the end, they repaired it.

Thanks for any help or advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2015, 10:36 PM

109 posts, read 551,968 times
You have a lot of problems with your landlords, I feel for you. We are stuck in this vicious circle too, bordering on slumlords every time. Anyway, our oven is too weak, on the opposite. We already adjusted the time to cook (we add a few minutes depending on the food and temperature). I think the landlords are supposed to have a pro recalibrate the thermometer and make sure it heats properly.
We have much bigger unresolved problems with current property we rent (extremely competitive market ensures we are highly disposable as tenants), so I am sure if we even mentioned the weak oven, we would be laughed at and ignored. But I hope you convince them to do that soon. I wouldn't attempt to do that myself, but them I am not handy with electrical anything.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,197,505 times
If it was me I would first call and attempt to repair. The heating element may be going bad or burners may be clogged and need cleaning. If it flat out wont work right after repair I would just replace it.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrworld View Post
You have a lot of problems with your landlords, I feel for you. We are stuck in this vicious circle too, bordering on slumlords every time. Anyway, our oven is too weak, on the opposite. We already adjusted the time to cook (we add a few minutes depending on the food and temperature). I think the landlords are supposed to have a pro recalibrate the thermometer and make sure it heats properly.
We have much bigger unresolved problems with current property we rent (extremely competitive market ensures we are highly disposable as tenants), so I am sure if we even mentioned the weak oven, we would be laughed at and ignored. But I hope you convince them to do that soon. I wouldn't attempt to do that myself, but them I am not handy with electrical anything.
Yep. It just seems like being a tenant is always a losing proposition for us. I'm planning on buying a home in the next 5 years or so. But until then, rent I shall.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredC View Post
Yep. It just seems like being a tenant is always a losing proposition for us. I'm planning on buying a home in the next 5 years or so. But until then, rent I shall.

Well look at it this way. When the oven breaks you'll be the one paying to fix or replace.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Well look at it this way. When the oven breaks you'll be the one paying to fix or replace.
True. But I told my fiance that I was right, the oven is the real reason why my cooking sucks. Lol. Now I've got proof

Old 06-25-2015, 11:09 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,718,339 times
You can leave a large pizza stone in your oven to help regulate the heat a bit. I have gas oven so the bottom is always tons hotter than the upper portion burning foods from below. I put a pizza stone in it and much better.

Try that until it gets repaired, if it gets repaired that is.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
True. But I told my fiance that I was right, the oven is the real reason why my cooking sucks. Lol. Now I've got proof

So what's gonna be the excuse when you get the new stove. I would go with the ol stand by and blame it on her. My wife loves it.

Old 06-25-2015, 11:30 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,180,620 times
Could be a bad deal causing the heat at the front to escape or the heating element doesn't work right, the metal wire in the bottom. Neither issues would cause me to pay someone to take a look at it, though I would come take a look at it myself. It isn't technically a habitability issue so you can't force them to do anything really, except the PM company had online reviews you can feel free to trash them there. Heating elements are kind of inexpensive at the big box home stores and you can try that, normally a plug or two in the back of the oven to remove.

Edit to add ovens will almost never heat to the temp you set them on which is why they make thermometers.

Old 06-26-2015, 01:47 AM

32,480 posts, read 47,405,393 times
Quote:
........So my oven heats up different temperatures than what I set it to. For instance, I'll set it to 425 but the back interior (middle rack) heats up between 450-460 degrees and near the front interior heats up to the proper set temp. .......
Sorry, OP. I'm a serious cook and I can tell you that a lot of ovens heat unevenly. In fact most ovens heat unevenly. If you ever get a stove with a good oven, count your blessings.

It has nothing to do with how expensive the stove is. A cheap oven can work really well and a different cheap oven might be awful. An expensive oven might work really well, or it might suck.

You shouldn't be cooking anything at 425 degrees except for a frozen pizza. Most foods will burn on the outside and be raw in the middle if you cook that high.

Buy yourself an oven thermometer and use that to figure out what temperature you get inside the oven when you set the thermostat to 350 (which is the most commonly used temperature). Adjust your controls until the oven thermometer lets you know you've found out how to set the oven to get the temperature you want.

With most ovens, you will have to rotate the food to get even heating. That's just how life and appliances are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting