Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 11:34 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariogames View Post
OK, but what I meant was that I didn't set out to be "trespasser". Mind you, I signed what i thought was a legal binding lease, room rental agreement, or whatever, so the fact that I choose to stay in the situation should not exclude me from the protections that most licensees enjoy even though the circumstances changed as result of the actions of others, namely, the fake LL. Am i making sense?
Your sentence structure makes sense (for the most part) however, as I stated before... YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT WITH THE ACTUAL PROPERTY OWNER. Therefore, if the primary tenant (fake LL) leaves or is evicted you are in fact trespassing.

Did you not note this in the link I posted: "Be warned: roommates are vulnerable to unexpected evictions when the prime tenant of the apartment is evicted through legal means by the landlord. Sometimes, prime tenants do not inform their roommate of eviction proceedings. When prime tenants are legally evicted, the order of eviction usually applies to all occupants of the apartment - including roommates. See below for more about this process, and how to protect yourself in such cases." Source
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 11:45 PM

95 posts, read 81,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Your sentence structure makes sense (for the most part) however, as I stated before... YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY LEGALLY BINDING AGREEMENT WITH THE ACTUAL PROPERTY OWNER. Therefore, if the primary tenant (fake LL) leaves or is evicted you are in fact trespassing.

Did you not note this in the link I posted: "Be warned: roommates are vulnerable to unexpected evictions when the prime tenant of the apartment is evicted through legal means by the landlord. Sometimes, prime tenants do not inform their roommate of eviction proceedings. When prime tenants are legally evicted, the order of eviction usually applies to all occupants of the apartment - including roommates. See below for more about this process, and how to protect yourself in such cases." Source
Katjonjj, don't think I don't appreciate your help and all the time you are spending on me here (I do). And no, I didn't read that part. Regardless, "unexpected evictions" doesn't mean no due legal process applies and LL is not required to file a complaint for unlawful detainer. I am expecting to be sued, that's not the issue. The question was (again) can the landlord cut the electric off without getting into trouble with the law for ignoring the 'no self-help eviction laws'?

Old 06-26-2015, 11:58 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,528,565 times
Quote:
Katjonjj, don't think I don't appreciate your help and all the time you are spending on me here (I do). And no, I didn't read that part. Regardless, "unexpected evictions" doesn't mean no due legal process applies and LL is not required to file a complaint for unlawful detainer. I am expecting to be sued, that's not the issue. The question was (again) can the landlord cut the electric off without getting into trouble with the law for ignoring the 'no self-help eviction laws'?
Dude... are you serious? If the utilities are in his name he can turn them off. He doesn't have to supply utilities to a rental unit without a lease. You do not have a lease with the LL so if the fake LL leaves then he is well within his rights to stop paying the utilities. If you are still there then you can try to get the utilities in your name but what the heck would you do that for?

For example, I rent a home with 4 rooms but my family only takes up 3 and we are all on the lease. We rent the 4th room to a person. We decide to move to a better place. We cancel the utilities because they are in our name and we are moving. Does that occupant of the 4th room get to stay using our utilities account? NO... The occupant must move too and if he doesn't the LL would be dealing with a trespasser/squatter because the LL had no knowledge of the occupant in the first place.

YOU are that occupant. It may be legal for us to have the occupant but once we are gone there is no legal right for the occupant to be there.

So I guess you need to clarify whose name the utilities are in.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:42 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Bottom line is this...you are not on the lease. Your 'rental agreement' expired...you're overstaying your welcome and they will evict you. It doesn't matter who the 'they' is...what matters is you're going to end up with an eviction. You are an unauthorized tenant...grounds for eviction.

Move. Now. Stop worrying about trying to sue someone and find another place to live before the eviction is granted.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Dude... are you serious? If the utilities are in his name he can turn them off. He doesn't have to supply utilities to a rental unit without a lease. You do not have a lease with the LL so if the fake LL leaves then he is well within his rights to stop paying the utilities. If you are still there then you can try to get the utilities in your name but what the heck would you do that for?

For example, I rent a home with 4 rooms but my family only takes up 3 and we are all on the lease. We rent the 4th room to a person. We decide to move to a better place. We cancel the utilities because they are in our name and we are moving. Does that occupant of the 4th room get to stay using our utilities account? NO... The occupant must move too and if he doesn't the LL would be dealing with a trespasser/squatter because the LL had no knowledge of the occupant in the first place.

YOU are that occupant. It may be legal for us to have the occupant but once we are gone there is no legal right for the occupant to be there.

So I guess you need to clarify whose name the utilities are in.
Look Bud, I understand your logic. I get it. I don't know in whose name the utilities are, but if the LL can cut off the electric or the water, or both, then what stops him from coming with the cops to kick me out, ha?

Old 06-27-2015, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Look Bud, I understand your logic. I get it. I don't know in whose name the utilities are, but if the LL can cut off the electric or the water, or both, then what stops him from coming with the cops to kick me out, ha?

Nothing stops him because you do not have a legal right to be in the unit. The cops may or may not kick you out, but they will tell the leaseholder and/or landlord, if you want them gone, file for an eviction.

If you do not move, you will be evicted. Stop worrying about utilities and pack your stuff and move.

Old 06-27-2015, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
If you do not move, you will be evicted. Stop worrying about utilities and pack your stuff and move.
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about, only I am staying girl and if the LL cuts the utilities off I hit him with punitive damages in my answer (more money to be made)...

Old 06-27-2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Yep, that's exactly what I was talking about, only I am staying girl.

Enjoy that eviction.

You will be evicted; either by the landlord or the leaseholder. If the landlord files for eviction that means everyone in the unit gets evicted.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:03 AM

And if the LL comes to change the locks (no cops), that would be a clear breach of the housing laws (self help eviction). Either way I can sue and get me some money for my trouble.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
And if the LL comes to change the locks (no cops), that would be a clear breach of the housing laws (self help eviction). Either way I can sue and get me some money for my trouble.

Before you get all excited about your windfall, I suggest you consult with a real estate attorney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting