Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 01:25 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times

Advertisements

Why do you think its a waste of time to show a property... That YOUR Job! I went to a Section 8 class in MD was Told to NEVER say I was Section 8 on the phone. The idea was to have the LL Meet us & get to know us & us them then when talking. You LL could just a easy waste time on non Section 8... so why fuss about it! BTW if you don't want section 8 say so in the adv.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 01:50 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,750,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Why do you think its a waste of time to show a property... That YOUR Job! I went to a Section 8 class in MD was Told to NEVER say I was Section 8 on the phone. The idea was to have the LL Meet us & get to know us & us them then when talking. You LL could just a easy waste time on non Section 8... so why fuss about it! BTW if you don't want section 8 say so in the adv.
You are saying to tell someone in advance if you don't want section 8, but will never tell that you are on it on the phone, that's a waste of time for you and the LL.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:59 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Can't you tell them what they need to qualify when they call to make an appointment to see the place?......
I do give a run down on what I check when people call me. That does stop a lot of them. However, there is this tenant myth that makes the rounds that a private landlord will be very lenient and won't actually do the screening. So I get a lot of applicants who lie because they think I won't actually check and they think they can charm their way in.

In fact, if I get 30 applications, only one or two will have truthful answers. There are a lot of liars out there.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
......... I went to a Section 8 class in MD was Told to NEVER say I was Section 8 on the phone. The idea was to have the LL Meet us & get to know us & us them then when talking...... .
And from a landlord's perspective, you are deliberately being deceptive. I don't accept dishonest tenants and I don't accept any tenant without doing their screening. Nobody gets in because they are so adorably charming that I can't resist them.

Incidentally, the Section 8 people here are told to never say that they are Section 8 or HUD. They are told to say that they are on this great program called Housing Works. More deception.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
.......So if there is a section 8 tenant application but they have a good background, good record, high credit score, but just have less income... would you discriminate?
Maybe I'd accept them, but I've never had a Section 8 applicant like that apply to rent from me. I get homeless plus her pitbull and 3 stinky leech homeless boyfriends. Or the nice older lady that owned 3 horses and took in rescue horses. Or the couple who arrived in two brand new Cadillac Escalades. Or the girl with a couple of children whose own mother told me I'd be sorry if I rented to her.

The Housing Authority in my area is unpleasant to work with so a Section 8 tenant would have to be mighty darn perfect before it was worth the trouble to rent to them.

Old 07-04-2015, 06:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
Section 8 will pay reliably. If the person who pays their own money ends up unemployed, they might be forced to stop paying, and desperately look for another job in other cities, and move there and leave the place neglected because they don't have time for it in their desperation.

OTOH, section 8 is probably too much paperwork, bureaucracy, requirements, etc., and might be a big headache.
Not here in PA. The requirements for the apartment are the same as what any renter would want. Working windows with locks, two seperate entrances/exits for fire emergencies, working smoke detectors, working heat etc All normal stuff. Some landlords known as slumlords won't have these things in order.

Old 07-05-2015, 01:18 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
So I've got an apartment up for rent and I get alot of emails with questions about whether or not I accept section 8 or public assistance etc.

I thought it was a general rule that it would be discriminatory of income to NOT accept those things. Am I wrong? Cause either it seems like these are professionals looking for a land lord to slip so they can sue for a few bucks, or these are completely voluntary programs that land lords can choose to participate in since the housing needs to meet additional HUD requirements.
Our reply is always "we do not participate in that program". that's it.

Old 07-05-2015, 06:40 AM

461 posts, read 666,586 times
I don't turn away S8 applicants, but on my last vacancy (Southern CA) none of them could pass the criteria. If an applicant does pass the criteria, it could take up to 60 days dealing with inspections & red tape before they are able to move in, meanwhile a qualified tennant without S8 could move in right away. A bird in the hand ...

Old 07-05-2015, 07:25 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,012,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalswife View Post
I don't turn away S8 applicants, but on my last vacancy (Southern CA) none of them could pass the criteria. If an applicant does pass the criteria, it could take up to 60 days dealing with inspections & red tape before they are able to move in, meanwhile a qualified tennant without S8 could move in right away. A bird in the hand ...

and if that qualified tenant leaves damages beyond the deposit and you sue, you might actually see some money. With sec 8, you'll have a useless judgment on your hands. You can't get blood from a turnip.

Old 07-05-2015, 08:26 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
When I rented the 1 bedroom in this complex they inspected it the Next day 2 days later we were moved in!

I never used my Sec 8 in MD Most LL Lied to me! Talk about a waste of time! Others had Crazy rules...one would rent to sec 8 BUT only IF we had a record & spent 1 yr + in jail!! Another said they take it & my SD but then did 2 no show on showing the property. I had my gf call an arrange a meet since she was driving me around. She was told they didn't want my SD! So they were avoiding me! This was an apt next door to beer joint! 2 days later they New Neighbor was SHOT! I count myself lucky...but at the time I was pissed! I asked another LL if there was a bus nearby she said yes 2 blocks away... more like 2 Miles! Another LL told me she rented the other apt she had to a lady with 2 teen kids & 4 Huge Dogs! Knowing I needed to get my scooter in my apt thru the back door Meaning I have to go into the yard these dogs were in! Dogs known by the police & LL to Bite people! cripe! BTW 2 months later she called & said the apt we wanted was still vacant she be willing to lower the rent for me... Really! Nice apt wonder why she couldn't rent it .... could it be those dogs Lying LL I don't need Now I got another bunch of lairs took over here! Sooo wish I could move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting