Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 09:40 AM

90 posts, read 212,008 times

Advertisements

I thought I was being nice and giving them so much time but last night I saw there for rent add and it says home available the 17th. I got a little upset. They asked me to leave everything on so they could do updates not so they could rent it out again so fast. They will be showing the house tomorrow and it's a gem in the land of old homes. I'm just not going to stress, do what I need to do on being a good tenant and cross that bridge when we get there. I hope they will do the right thing if they rent it so here's hoping for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:45 AM

19,361 posts, read 27,576,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
Thank you I will do that. They asked me to leave everything on so the house could be worked on and my garden could be keeped up. But I don't want to pay for someone else. We have hired a cleaner and will be leaving the place much cleaner then we got it. I have my walk through notes and it states how dirty stuff was and they signed off on it so there aware too.
Photos would have (will be) much better proof than notes. Notes prove nothing unless notarized. Even then. . . photos are better.

Make sure you tell the LL IN WRITING that you are shutting off the utilities and gardener. Get proof of delivery of said note.

Old 07-03-2015, 11:55 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,358,788 times
I always try to remember to refund any overlap, because whether it is the law or not, it is the right thing to do. In my opinion, it is against the law to collect overlap rent, and it should be refunded. Some here are saying it isn't double dipping to not refund if they get a new tenant before the first and don't refund the overlap, but I disagree with that. I think if they don't get a tenant, you don't get a refund, but if they do, you do for those days.

I'd politely mention it.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:33 PM

9,123 posts, read 14,666,383 times
Have you talked to the landlord about it?

Old 07-03-2015, 12:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 928,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrsacg View Post
I thought I was being nice and giving them so much time but last night I saw there for rent add and it says home available the 17th. I got a little upset. They asked me to leave everything on so they could do updates not so they could rent it out again so fast. They will be showing the house tomorrow and it's a gem in the land of old homes. I'm just not going to stress, do what I need to do on being a good tenant and cross that bridge when we get there. I hope they will do the right thing if they rent it so here's hoping for the best.
Why are you upset that they are simply showing the property so soon after you move out? Generally when you leave early you owe the rent, but the landlord will reimburse you if they rent the place early. This will vary by lease and state regs, you need to check your specific lease and state. Like others say, do not leave the utilities in your name for a minute after you vacate.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:21 PM

im only upset b/c they gave me a line about doing some updates and I thought I was being nice when I agreed to move out early and leave the utilities on then I found out they posted the house for rent and ready for move in 2 days after I leave the state only 17 days into the month I paid in full. I'm feeling taken advantage of I guess. But your right as of right now this is all hypothetical so I guess I will stop stressing.

Old 07-03-2015, 01:59 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,594,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I always try to remember to refund any overlap, because whether it is the law or not, it is the right thing to do. In my opinion, it is against the law to collect overlap rent, and it should be refunded. Some here are saying it isn't double dipping to not refund if they get a new tenant before the first and don't refund the overlap, but I disagree with that. I think if they don't get a tenant, you don't get a refund, but if they do, you do for those days.

I'd politely mention it.
I couldn't agree more.

Having been both a tenant and a landlord, I think some of the things that landlords do are really petty.

I need some notice that a tenant is moving, and if they're skipping out 6 months ahead of the lease-end, that's one thing - but a couple weeks, and they've been there for 11 months.. not really an issue.. and in a case like this, I'd pro-rate the rent & cut a check for everything including the security deposit on the day the tenant moved (and I wouldn't even ask the tenant to leave the utilities in their name).

I wouldn't tell the tenant that in advance though, I'd need to see the place was in good shape first. I've got better things to do than to try to beat someone (who did me right) out of a couple hundred bucks.

Old 07-03-2015, 02:09 PM

13,909 posts, read 39,089,894 times
WOW Not out yet! Anything could happen to delay your moving date.... You are Mad cause the LL is working on finding another tenant?

Old 07-03-2015, 02:53 PM

why on earth would I be mad they are finding a new tenant!?!? That is their job as a LL with a house to rent.

I was a little upset that they are telling me/asking to do one thing and turning around and advertising the home is available for rent on My dime. And like I said, I was only asking. Nothing has been done yet and I won't know if they are honest till after I move out. Maybe I'm upset for no reason.
I do agree with the fact I should shut everything off and I'm telling them that tomorrow when I see them.

Old 07-03-2015, 03:19 PM

109 posts, read 552,147 times
I was in the same situation. I gave the landlords a month in advance notice, but had to move earlier for a job. I wrote to them that I would leave utilities on in my name until the day I was supposed to move out according to my notice since I thought this was the right thing to do. In response, the landlords didn't return my deposit until a month and a half later after threatening with the court, concocted a sob story why and wanted a half deposit back to repaint their house on our dime when they didn't paint it prior to us in years and didn't even bother to clean before move-in (we had to hire professional cleaning company and carpet steamer, it was that bad. And no, I didn't rent it sight unseen, my dear husband did). Double dipping or not, do not let your landlords milk your niceness all the way like we allowed them. If you feel being taken advantage of, that's exactly what they are doing. Utilities go off once you move out and are no longer your responsibility - once the landlord has accepted the key, you no longer have an access to the place and aren't obligated to keep it up.

Every time we rent we have never yet met an ethical landlord or property manager. The ones we have been having are only after money, disregard disrepairs, do no maintenance and consider themselves above the law. It is actually very hard for me to believe caring and ethical landlords like the ones on this forum exist. I have never met a decent one yet. I wish you best of luck with your new home and landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting