Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2018, 02:50 PM

1,195 posts, read 987,005 times

Advertisements

I find it a bit shady how LLs accept applications that get denied after the applicant was upfront in the beginning. And how come LLs don't show us the results of our credit or background check, like a copy? I know what is on mine but still find it strange since we paid for our background check in the application fee, usually 30-80 dollars. Next time I will ask. I brought this up because over the years it has proven to be a pattern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 03:16 PM

268 posts, read 273,033 times
Your prospective LL isn't required to give you a copy of your credit report. If you are turned down due to to something in the report you can request a free copy of it from the credit agency.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrabbyAppleton205 View Post
Your prospective LL isn't required to give you a copy of your credit report. If you are turned down due to to something in the report you can request a free copy of it from the credit agency.
Ok. It would still be nice to have though. I never been offered a copy whether it was denied or approved.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:34 PM

268 posts, read 273,033 times
There are strict requirements when it comes to running someones credit report. Depending on the state/agreement with the agency they may not be allowed to give it to you.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:03 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I find it a bit shady how LLs accept applications that get denied after the applicant was upfront in the beginning.
The LL can't predict whether they would or would not deny the application until after they've considered any OTHER applications. Even if there happens to be one choice it doesn't follow that it is the best choice.

Old 10-29-2018, 04:10 PM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Why accept applications that will likely be denied?
Why submit an application that will likely be denied?

The qualities LL'S look for (income, credit, rental history, etc) aren't any sort of secret.
If you know you have a problem or an issue or some story to tell...

Old 10-29-2018, 04:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,271,773 times
Quote:
I find it a bit shady how LLs accept applications that get denied after the applicant was upfront in the beginning. And how come LLs don't show us the results of our credit or background check, like a copy? I know what is on mine but still find it strange since we paid for our background check in the application fee, usually 30-80 dollars. Next time I will ask. I brought this up because over the years it has proven to be a pattern.
I don't know what kind of housing you are describing, but I know some LLs who are irked because they pay for the condo HOA to do a background check and then the HOA does not tell the LLs what is in it. The whole thing is bizarre. A woman at an HOA told me they are not allowed to tell the LLs what is in their tenants' background report. So the tenants are paying $100 application fee, the LL is paying for the background check, but the only people who know what is in it are the office and board of the HOA.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why submit an application that will likely be denied?

The qualities LL'S look for (income, credit, rental history, etc) aren't any sort of secret.
If you know you have a problem or an issue or some story to tell...
I did tell them very clearly. Many landlords are eager to take in as many applications as they can. I think it's unethical to accept several for the same unit, people must lie like crazy if so many background results turn up with big issues.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't know what kind of housing you are describing, but I know some LLs who are irked because they pay for the condo HOA to do a background check and then the HOA does not tell the LLs what is in it. The whole thing is bizarre. A woman at an HOA told me they are not allowed to tell the LLs what is in their tenants' background report. So the tenants are paying $100 application fee, the LL is paying for the background check, but the only people who know what is in it are the office and board of the HOA.
They must be very cautious with privacy.

Old 10-29-2018, 06:09 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
I did tell them very clearly. Many landlords are eager to take in as many applications as they can. I think it's unethical to accept several for the same unit, people must lie like crazy if so many background results turn up with big issues.
Why can't a LL be allowed to choose the best tenant to live in their property? You expect to examine your options and pick the best of something don't you? Choose your own car instead of being forced to accept one? OK, I know it's a stretch....but isn't it sort of the same as applying for multiple apartments, comparing those that accept you, and choosing the best from among them, right?

BTW, people DO lie! Why else would LLs check rental histories, verify funds, do credit checks.

Sounds as if you were turned down. It may or may not have been due to your credit. Find another place.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-29-2018 at 06:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting