Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

In our County, "Source of Income" has just been made a protected class.
We can't ask potential tenants if they're working or where they're working or ask for pay stubs, etc. If they volunteer, we're good to go.
We CAN ask for bank statements, tax returns, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 08:38 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
My wife and I would like to move to a nicer apartment and spend a little more of our income on rent than the traditional 35%. Corporate run apartments in seem to be very strict about minimum income vs. rent requirements. But if we put on the application form that we make more money than we do, are they actually going to call our employers and verify our income? Or are they going to ask for a copy of our paycheck stub? How are they going to verify our income, in most cases?

They ask for paystubs or have an income verification form your employer needs to fill out/

If you're spending 35% of you income on rent, you're living beyond your means. Housing shouldn't be more than 24%.

Private landlords and property managers can be just as strict and will require up to 3 times the rental rate in income.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:54 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
We require recent paystubs, or if you are self employed, last 2 years' tax return. Occasionally we accept 3 months bank statements for retired persons who always get a direct deposit. We can also call to verify employment or income. I'd be on the safe side if I were you and tell the truth. I realize that's a novel idea to some but it seems to work well.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:58 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
We can't ask potential tenants if they're working or where they're working or ask for pay stubs, etc. If they volunteer, we're good to go.
I would like to see that law if you have a copy you could post? In my estimation, that only means you cannot discriminate based on the source of income. Just like you can't discriminate based on race or religion etc. It doesn't mean you can't have a policy where applicants have to prove they have income. So if they're on unemployment or receive ADC for instance you can't turn them down.

Old 07-11-2015, 12:52 PM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Generally "source of income" being a protected does not mean that the landlord can not verify your income. It means that the landlord can not reject if the source of that income is the only reason to reject.

It's hard to imagine that even the most incompetent politician would pass a law that says that landlords have to rent to anyone whether they have income or not or that a landlord must accept a drug dealer.

Generally, those laws are written to try to help Section 8 tenants, but usually the way the law is written is that no legal source of income can be used to deny an applicant. Don't want strippers living in your building? Too bad. Unless you can find another legal reason to reject them, you can't turn them down just because they make their money taking their clothes off.

Let me know where I can look up the law you are talking about Elke Mariotti, because I am interested in reading it myself.

Old 07-11-2015, 01:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
That was the stated interpretation by a real estate attorney from the local Board of Realtors. I have not personally seen the actual law. You've made me curious--I'll look into it further!

Old 07-12-2015, 12:02 AM

13,131 posts, read 20,968,136 times
Quote:
That was the stated interpretation by a real estate attorney from the local Board of Realtors. I have not personally seen the actual law. You've made me curious--I'll look into it further!
If you mean SCC 528 that simply states a landlord can not make adverse decision based on the source of legal money as income. Landlords in Suffolk County are still free to verify income as they always have.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:19 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
...I have lived in numerous apartments through the years all run by large real estate corporations and I have never filled out a release form allowing my employer to get my salary and employment information.
It's usually the fine print toward the end of the application that you initially fill out - before you get the apartment. It's often a few sentences of fine print just before your signatures. It's so small, you might have missed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting