Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 06:03 AM

62 posts, read 123,649 times

Advertisements

My wife and I would like to move to a nicer apartment and spend a little more of our income on rent than the traditional 35%. Corporate run apartments in seem to be very strict about minimum income vs. rent requirements. But if we put on the application form that we make more money than we do, are they actually going to call our employers and verify our income? Or are they going to ask for a copy of our paycheck stub? How are they going to verify our income, in most cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 06:16 AM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
I use a company to do all the verification for me. They call the employer and previous employer. If they cannot get the information from them, they ask for pay stubs to be faxed. No pay stubs, how about bank statements for regular deposit amounts. Self employed, how about tax forms.

That is how they verify. They might ask for a larger deposit if you cannot verify income, or pass.

I NEVER ask for a co-signer, as I rather have a larger deposit that the otherwise co-signer can put up for you. If the co-signer wont put up a deposit for you, they wont pay your rent when you default either.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:29 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Your HR department will usually refer any callers to "the employment line" - it's a 3rd party service that has access to your salary, job title & dates of employment. A creditor can fax a release signed by you & the employment line will give them basic info verifying your current employee status & wages.

They might ask for paystubs, but those are routinely faked by the element that specializes in ripping off landlords, so I wouldn't count on them being accepted.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:44 AM

The answer below sounds good in theory but I have lived in numerous apartments through the years all run by large real estate corporations and I have never filled out a release form allowing my employer to get my salary and employment information. I just assume that they may call HR who verifies that I work there but took my word on it that I made a certain income. My employer would never just give anyone's income to someone who called on the phone and asked about me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Your HR department will usually refer any callers to "the employment line" - it's a 3rd party service that has access to your salary, job title & dates of employment. A creditor can fax a release signed by you & the employment line will give them basic info verifying your current employee status & wages.

They might ask for paystubs, but those are routinely faked by the element that specializes in ripping off landlords, so I wouldn't count on them being accepted.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:55 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard Luck View Post
The answer below sounds good in theory but I have lived in numerous apartments through the years all run by large real estate corporations and I have never filled out a release form allowing my employer to get my salary and employment information. I just assume that they may call HR who verifies that I work there but took my word on it that I made a certain income. My employer would never just give anyone's income to someone who called on the phone and asked about me.
the release is the same one allowing the landlord to run your credit. And you're correct, most employers don't want to say anything to random callers, that's why they use the employment line.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:53 AM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I suspect that most landlords will verify your income. That is most easily done by speaking with your employer. If the employer won't give information, then the landlord will want to see pay stubs and bank records.

I just turned down two different applicants with my last vacancy because they exaggerated their income, trying to qualify.

If I can not verify income, I will turn the applicant down. I suspect that most landlords are going to do the same.

I'm not doing anyone any favors by renting them a place that they can't afford and don't have enough money left after rent to pay the rest of their bills. Not to mention that tenants who think they are entitled to more than they can afford are very often very difficult to deal with.

Old 07-10-2015, 11:57 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Most of the one's I've applied at just ask for pay stubs.

Old 07-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Most of the one's I've applied at just ask for pay stubs.
That sounds logical but someone can make up their own paycheck stub if they know anything about computers. Same with W-2's/

Old 07-10-2015, 02:16 PM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Quote:
That sounds logical but someone can make up their own paycheck stub if they know anything about computers. Same with W-2's/
Yes but the large complexes that do this generally don't care. You pass their test, you get in. You sign a lease.

You don't pay rent? They go after you. As long as they get you to sign on the dotted line, all is well to them. An unoccupied unit costs them much more than the small % of people who forge pay stub, then don't pay rent, and end up squatting.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:16 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Your application will generally have a release at the end of it that allows them to collect the information they need. Both the realtor and apartment association applications in AZ have it. My application has one and I also require all persons 18 or over to sign an additional release just so they understand what's going on. Not that it is a legal defense but no one reads applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting