Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2015, 04:14 PM

6 posts, read 29,499 times

Advertisements

The facts:
I lived in this unit for 2 years. I am in Dallas, Texas. I put down a $720 security deposit. I moved out June 7th, 2015. I gave my landlord adequate notice and my new address in the form of an email. It's probably not relevant but before I moved out, my landlord said in an email he was pretty sure I'd be getting my entire security deposit back. The last correspondence I received from landlord was on June 6th asking me if I was ready for him to do his walk thru. I said yes "after the 6th" and someone has since moved in to my old apartment. I have emailed him and cc'd his partner 2x asking the status of my deposit. They did not respond. I tried calling my landlord today bc I got fed up...he did not answer. Which is probably good because I know I need everything in writing anyways. I tried just emailing his partner today (as he owns 50% of the duplex I was living in). So far I haven't received a response.

So next step demand letter just asking for the $720 and then after 10 days if still no response file with the Justice of the Peace for 3x the amount due, plus $100, plus court/attorney fees? I'm lucky because my brother in law who lives 45 mins away is a lawyer (but not a court room lawyer) and has experience with landlord tenant law so I can get him to draw up the official docs and sign them etc. But I also read that maybe the landlord has 45 days to file suit against me?? For what I'm unclear. 45 days would be this Thursday, I believe, so maybe I wait to make any moves til after Thursday?

Anyways he acted in Bad Faith, right? So is there any way I could lose??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2015, 04:15 PM

To be clear, I have not received any notice of any kind from them at all, no itemized list of deductions, no partial refund, and they have not tried to contact me since the day before I moved out.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:17 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,617,651 times
I got a security deposit back from a group who was infamous for never returning one. Loophole for them was that we had to notify them in writing 30 days before moving. Most people had not bothered reading their contract.

Old 07-20-2015, 04:25 PM

So do you mean you did it by mail, as opposed to e-mail?

Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
I don't know where you are reading that 45 day thing from for LL to file suit. Only thing I can think of is if YOU sue and then the 45 days would be for a counter suit perhaps?

I would just go ahead and send your demand letter certified mail/return receipt and not worry about that 45 day thing. If they don't respond just sue them in court because based on what you have said, they are over the 30 days required by law to return the full deposit or an itemization of deductions.

Send certified so LL can't claim they never got it and it is also proof for you that they do in fact receive it. Emails, texts, etc aren't going to give you much proof and LL can claim ignorance.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 07-20-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 09:09 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
You just have to wait 30 days. You just have to give them notice "in writing." If you have communicated with your LL in the past with email, email should suffice. It's written and it's notice.

Here you go:

Texas Tenant Advisor

Old 07-22-2015, 08:08 PM

1,904 posts, read 1,043,884 times
Misquote...

Old 07-22-2015, 08:11 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balkins View Post
Don't want to Rain on your parade BUT, you Gotta go by what lease says. If lease says, Landlord will return deposit within "x" days, then that's when they have to return it.

If it said 90 days or 120 days, that would be considered unreasonable. But 45 days is not.
Wrong. State law requires the deposit to be returned within 30 days. The lease can not have a clause that goes against state law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting