Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 02:35 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,118,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Remember, these laws weren't drawn up and promulgated just to have something to do, No, they came about because of abuses by landlords against tenants.
Nope. They came about because of abuse of either party by the other.

Rental law affects and protects both tenants and landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2016, 07:05 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Not necessarily. It is all subjective depending upon which state you live in.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:01 PM

No, it's all subjective depending on whether you are a tenant or a landlord.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:06 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Quote:
"It's all subjective depending on whether you are a tenant or a landlord" depending upon which state you live in. If you are not familiar with the rental laws in states 'other' than AZ then you obviously wouldn't agree with that. Case in point, you charge every tenant a $400 non-refundable cleaning fee that does not even include the required carpet cleaning expense they have to pay above the cleaning fee.
Can my landlord require me to pay for pro carpet cleaning?
You would not get away with that in some other states because some other states have deemed that as unlawful, unethical, unfair and not in good faith to do so IF the tenant has already cleaned the apt sufficiently themselves.

Old 09-20-2016, 09:34 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,984,674 times
Quote:

We were not taking about abuses by tenants, we were talking about why legislators write tenant protection laws and it's primarily because landlords screwed tenants so law were passed for the tenant's protection. Of course laws are written because of abuses by each side and that's what I said, just limited my comment to the discussion at hand. Any idiot would know that laws to protect landlords would also come about because of abuses by tenants.

Old 09-21-2016, 07:08 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Landlords View Post
THESE TENANT/LANDLORD LAWS ARE LAUGHABLE...a real joke.

Here's a question... HOW CAN LANDLORDS CHANGE SOME OF THESE RIDICULOUS LAWS.
EVERY LANDLORD IS NOT WEALTHY
You know how if your tenant gets sick or divorced, his financial woes aren't your problem? Yeah...that sword cuts both ways. If you aren't adequately capitalized to carry through an eviction, its your problem. No one else's. If the furnace goes out and the pipes burst, what are you going to do? You can bet the tenant will be in a hotel and not paying you rent.

Quote:
No. Compare California or Bay Area rental laws to North Carolina rental laws or Minnesota rental laws and you will see vast differences.

In Illinois, for example, I knew a guy who was a handyman for a landlord that owned a bunch of rentals. The courts said that the property had to be left for x hours at the curb before the landlord could take it. Now, this being Chicago, nothing was gonna last a minute at the curb.

So he would pay his handyman to watch the property, with instructions not to let anyone but the evictee take the property. When the evictee hadn't collected his stuff at the stroke of midnight, they would load it in a van and take it to the LL who would then sell it.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
"It's all subjective depending on whether you are a tenant or a landlord" depending upon which state you live in. If you are not familiar with the rental laws in states 'other' than AZ then you obviously wouldn't agree with that. Case in point, you charge every tenant a $400 non-refundable cleaning fee that does not even include the required carpet cleaning expense they have to pay above the cleaning fee.
Can my landlord require me to pay for pro carpet cleaning?
You would not get away with that in some other states because some other states have deemed that as unlawful, unethical, unfair and not in good faith to do so IF the tenant has already cleaned the apt sufficiently themselves.
I prorate carpet damage depending on the applicable laws when a tenant destroys a carpet so badly that it can't be cleaned to fix it.

Old 09-21-2016, 11:43 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
......... It just makes sense to me.
Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what makes sense to you and laws often don't make sense.

I believe that in the majority of states, the landlord doesn't have to store anything. The sheriff comes for the set-out and all of the tenant's belongings are moved to the curb and the locks on the house are changed. The tenant can get his stuff from the curb, or the scavengers will take off with all of it.

The eviction took weeks at the fastest and perhaps took months. That gave the tenant plenty of time to make arrangements for their stuff. If they didn't, then oh well, they might lose it.

Oregon law is that I have to store for a very short time period and then everything has to be sold to the public and the proceeds apply to the debt and if there is more left after the debt is covered, it goes back to the tenant.

Residential rental law is not the same as business law and if you have a commercial lease, the landlord can padlock the doors if you pay late and you don't get your stuff until you pay up all that is owed (in every state, as far as I know)

Old 09-21-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Residential rental law is not the same as business law and if you have a commercial lease, the landlord can padlock the doors if you pay late and you don't get your stuff until you pay up all that is owed (in every state, as far as I know)
I guess you don't know very far. Somehow I think I would be living in a world of hurt if I did that to a tenant. What if there is a pet inside and the tenant doesn't have the rent money and the pet dies? Are you willing to take the chance that your actions would kill somebody's pet? Or would just excuse it, "the tenant couldn't pay the rent." ?

Old 09-21-2016, 12:04 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Usually the landlords have to store the property for 30 days, prior to selling. The law is the way it is, so that landlords do not have the incentive to evict.

If the law was changed to what you propose, perhapse you owe $1000 in rent, and you are like me, owned $30,000 in computer equipment. The landlord would profit from evicting me.
He cannot profit in such way. He would gave to return anything over what he is owed using your example.
If your car hit repo'ed and you owed 4K but it does for 6k you would be owed the difference between the 4K and whatever fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting