Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,584 times

Advertisements

Long story short... Mice at my townhome that I was renting out. I constantly dealt with this issue without the landlord doing anything about it besides recommending mice traps. I told them that I wouldn't pay the rent unless this was resolved. I did not feel comfortable sleeping in my home with rodents crawling all over the place. Anyways... I ended up moving in with some friends and didn't pay the rent for two months. This was a 4 months before my lease was set to expire. The landlord of course set up an eviction which didn't mean much to me at the time because I was happy to be out of that place. Several months later it showed up on my credit report as a collection. I contacted the collection company and paid the full amount. It now shows as settled on my credit card report. Now, for the past 2 years I have been renting out a house from a landlord. I have been on time with my rent every single month for the past two years. The landlords are good people but they don't have a rental company exactly... They inherited the house from their parents and have been renting it out since. NOW MY QUESTIONS IS... Being that the eviction is in my rental history but does show as settled since I paid the company back the full amount for the eviction. Will this cause me any issues attempting to rent somewhere again? As stated in the title I have a credit score of 700 which is fairly good. I could have my current landlord write something up stating that I have been on time with my rent and that there has not been any issues with me as a tenant. I could also contact the old townhome and have them issue out a statement saying that I paid them the full amount. I just don't want to rack up all these app fees if it is going to result in an automatic dq because of the eviction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 03:58 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
I have a zero eviction policy and I know many others doo also. I don't care about the circumstances or how long ago if its there I deny, if you avoid the question on the app or answer yes I deny. There are private landlords like the ones you are with now that will take you on but they are a bit more rare but they exist. Chances are you will have zero luck with any management companies or complexes.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:36 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zudinmuskic View Post
Long story short... Mice at my townhome that I was renting out. I constantly dealt with this issue without the landlord doing anything about it besides recommending mice traps. I told them that I wouldn't pay the rent unless this was resolved. I did not feel comfortable sleeping in my home with rodents crawling all over the place. Anyways... I ended up moving in with some friends and didn't pay the rent for two months. This was a 4 months before my lease was set to expire. The landlord of course set up an eviction which didn't mean much to me at the time because I was happy to be out of that place. Several months later it showed up on my credit report as a collection. I contacted the collection company and paid the full amount. It now shows as settled on my credit card report. Now, for the past 2 years I have been renting out a house from a landlord. I have been on time with my rent every single month for the past two years. The landlords are good people but they don't have a rental company exactly... They inherited the house from their parents and have been renting it out since. NOW MY QUESTIONS IS... Being that the eviction is in my rental history but does show as settled since I paid the company back the full amount for the eviction. Will this cause me any issues attempting to rent somewhere again? As stated in the title I have a credit score of 700 which is fairly good. I could have my current landlord write something up stating that I have been on time with my rent and that there has not been any issues with me as a tenant. I could also contact the old townhome and have them issue out a statement saying that I paid them the full amount. I just don't want to rack up all these app fees if it is going to result in an automatic dq because of the eviction. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
It is better than an open eviction but for us it would be a denial as we are not interested to hear a one sided story as there are always two sides to every story and we don't want to deal with tenants who have been in an eviction process unless it is over a decade old and there is not a better candidate but the way the rental market is right now is so changed from a year ago and we can rent out every property many times over if needed so we choose the party without an eviction filing on their record.

Sorry but that is the truth and maybe a private owner may act differently and in no means am I saying you were wrong but we can't judge unless we have all the facts as proof or the story from both sides.

Old 08-06-2015, 03:29 AM

274 posts, read 427,215 times
It would be a no for me too as a pRivage landlord. See if you can get a letter from your current landlord stating that you have been a problem free tenant and submit it with your application.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:10 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
That's great that you paid if off, but the fact that the landlord had to evict you in the first place is the problem. You can't just withhold rent because you feel like it, there is a process to follow. So to answer your question, your best bet would be to stick with private landlords who don't always do a credit/background check.

Old 08-06-2015, 05:10 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,736,758 times
Some tenants think it is just the eviction filing or on their record that is the issue but usually the dealings with people who you have to evict are the real issue as they are obnoxious and feel entitled to everything and always feel it is the other parties fault and even play the game of "dare to evict me as you don't have grounds".

Then they are evicted and play the self-pity cards and how it was the other parties fault.

We had one not too long ago that we allowed to rent from us after more than 10 years ago being evicted with upfront higher security deposit, last month rent and first month rent and if she could proof she was falsely evicted then we would refund the amount that was charged higher than the normal security deposit.

The proof she came up with month's later was that she had paid off the outstanding unpaid rent and we told her "that LL was totally right to evict you as we would also do for unpaid rent!"

Old 08-06-2015, 06:05 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,524,353 times
I have a zero policy for evictions also. Way I see it is the situation had to get pretty bad in order for the involved parties to go to court and file and finally get a judgement to evict.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:20 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
So if you move out before the lease is up they can still evict you even though you are not there?

Old 08-06-2015, 08:22 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,236,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
So if you move out before the lease is up they can still evict you even though you are not there?
It is an unlawful detainer case for unpaid rent and shows same as an eviction. After you win the case you go back to the courthouse and get a writ of something, it's been a while since I did it, to get the sheriff to vacate the premises. The cases show up the same on a background check though.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:46 AM

1,715 posts, read 4,777,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Why would a (I) landlord spend the money to evict you if you're gone what does he have to gain
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting