Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 03:28 PM

63 posts, read 148,083 times

Advertisements

I have never had a super or maintenance come into my apartment without notice for something so trivial.
I have been living here for several years and my old super has never entered, he would call or text first if he needed to enter. Recently got a new super, who I really dislike at the moment.
Today, while I'm in the shower my doorbell rings, I'm not going to get out mid shower to go answer it so I dismiss it then I hear my door unlock and the super entering (let me clarify when you open my front door the bathroom is clearly visible and you can hear water running because it isn't that big). At this point I stick my head out of the shower and scream I'm busy, I hear the door closing so I thought ok he understands and I'll reach out to him once I'm done and dressed.. NOPE! He enters 4 more times! And every single time I'm yelling I am in the shower and busy, I will call you when I am done.

If it was a emergency like fire, gas, or a water pipe leaking. That I understand, you want to deal with it promptly. This was not, something that could've waited, or he could've called or texted with his company phone that is provided by the management.

I spoke to management and they assured me they would pass onto him to not enter my apartment for whatever reason UNLESS it was a emergency or with 24 hour notice.
It is stated in my lease that maintenance (super) will not enter without permission unless it was an emergency.
Crazy neighbor below complains that I must be throwing water out the window like some barbarian. Really!? Way to feed into the crazy pot smoking unemployed guy below.
Does that sound like a emergency?
I think a call, text or a note on my door to call 1.management or 2.super would've sufficed instead of entering a apartment that is currently occupied and unable to answer the door and enter 5 effing times with each time me yelling that I will call him once I am ready and dressed.
Am I being unreasonable?
I understand I am renting and this is truly not my own property but I am paying rent. I do have a right to privacy.

Sorry for the rant, I am just flabbergasted that the super would enter my apartment 5 damn times in a 15 minute period for something so trivial that could've been settled over the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:32 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,835,776 times
Water coming from your apartment window could be classified an emergency.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:44 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,700,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Water coming from your apartment window could be classified an emergency.
Yeah, it could be but then maintenance should have said that or yelled that when he entered. Normally, if it is an emergency they still knock on the door. If no one answers they unlock and open the door and yell something like "Maintenance! Anyone here?" the first time. They don't just keep coming back when they clearly know someone is in the apt and just keep walking in. If it was such a critical emergency the first time then maintenance should have clearly stated "Sorry, but this is an emergency! We have to come in!"

I ain't buying that claim of an emergency but that is just my opinion.

Old 07-31-2015, 03:55 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Sounds like when you shower they get wet! Yes it needs checked out. Yes it IS an emergency! How would you like to be living down stairs & every time some one took a shower in the apt above You & Your things got wet?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:05 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,524,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Sounds like when you shower they get wet! Yes it needs checked out. Yes it IS an emergency! How would you like to be living down stairs & every time some one took a shower in the apt above You & Your things got wet?
Even if it was an emergency the guy clearly knew the tenant was in the shower. Trying to enter again and again is just creepy. Was the guy trying to open the door at the optimal viewing moment?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Even if it was an emergency the guy clearly knew the tenant was in the shower. Trying to enter again and again is just creepy. Was the guy trying to open the door at the optimal viewing moment?
Sure sounds like he was to me!

Old 07-31-2015, 04:10 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,285,398 times
Well Most people hear some one in their apt grab a robe & go check it out. At least I do! I don't keep taking a shower!

Old 07-31-2015, 04:12 PM

63 posts, read 148,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Gee I hope not, I did have the bathroom door halfway open to let the cool air from the a.c in.

Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well Most people hear some one in their apt grab a robe & go check it out. At least I do! I don't keep taking a shower!
And, as I said before, he clearly could have yelled loud enough IF it was such an emergency when she said she was in the shower. But no, he just keeps coming back and letting himself in. Who does that?

Old 07-31-2015, 04:15 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
So are you throwing water out the window??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting