Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:24 PM

177 posts, read 923,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I've got one better... a family I rented to had a third child and Section 8 said they were under housed, which means Section 8 PAID the family $27 per month to stay in my 2 bedroom unit.

They were great Tenants and the Father worked 40 hours a week as a new car detail/lot guy.

Eventually they had a fourth child and Section 8 made them get a larger place.
crazy...section 8 pays people to get bigger families! If you don't made enough to support 2 kids you shouldn't be able to have a couple more at the government's expense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:36 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,089,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
I have seen working, non-section 8 families with several children have 3 kids to a room... whereas Section 8 would classify the family as being under housed because it only allows 2 children per bedroom. Sometimes it makes working families wonder why they go through all the trouble to work when life "Appears" to be so much easier on the government dole
This is interesting because I applied for Section 8 seven or eight years ago when I had 5 kids and lived in a two bedroom apt. They turned me down because I was not paying at least half of my income to rent. I even pointed out that I had too many people in a 2 bedroom and that I needed a 3 bedroom which I could not afford and she said it didn't matter.

Maybe what you stated only applies to those who are already using Section 8 and their family expands?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:58 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times
There really are two distinct sides of the HUD Section 8/Voucher program.

One side is called Eligibility and deals strictly with qualifying families in order to participate in the program and get on the wait list.

The other side deals with families that are already receiving assistance and experience a change in family size... either an increase or decrease or transfers

Eligibility often varies depending upon the funding the local agency has received. For example... Housing Authorities across the country received special funding to help displaced Hurricane Katrina victims or a Housing Authority may have received a grant to increase the number of certificates to Seniors or the Disabled.

HUD makes the rules, but local Housing Authorities are allowed some leeway to meet local needs.

All of my Housing Experience is limited to Alameda and Contra Costa Counties in California.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:02 PM

21 posts, read 24,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Someone told me in WA state they can evict someone for being on welfare..is this true? I cant find anything on it. I thought that wasn't allowed.
Id like to add my two cents and say that with all the drug addict, thieves, and con artists I have met who were on Welfare I would not blaim a landlord one bit for refusing to sign a lease to someone on welfare or for refusing to renew a lease.

If you already have a lease and then go on welfare I cant see how they would be able to evict you for that unless you stopped paying rent.

BTW never ever ever would I ever try to qualify a property for section 8.

Old 06-19-2015, 11:13 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,246,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommunistsRthieves View Post
BTW never ever ever would I ever try to qualify a property for section 8.
You could acquire an 8-unit building, and, instead of calling them apartments, you could call them sections. But who would want section 8?

Old 06-20-2015, 06:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,440,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
This is true.

However, if you have a place that tends to attract people on Section 8, its a good way to make sure you get at least most of your rent every month.

Sadly, we had a tenant that for some reason, had troubles coming up with the $8/month she was supposed to provide. I don't believe she was evicted, but the end result was her vacating the property.

did she ever consider getting a job and becoming a productive member of society?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting