Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 08:45 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
First step is the Landlord must offer to provide a pre-move inspection... if this was not offered, the Landlord is already on shaky ground.
Actually the landlord must inform the tenant of their right to request a pre-move inspection, subtle difference but there is one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
CA law does not state that the landlord does not get to claim damages if they miss the 21 day timeline, at least read the law. It has no reference to it being invalid within the law so stop with this nonsense.

Having said that what the landlord gave you is not an itemized list or the receipts to go with it and are in violation of that part of the law. It does not permit you to get a full return of your deposit under the law though, the law actually suggests mediation be used first. The landlord has every intention of returning your deposit minus the cleaning charges so what is your complaint/question?
So what is the purpose of the law then? If there are no limits, landlords can get away with anything. All of the resources I have looked up point to the landlord illegally holding the security deposit and I am within my rights to demand the entire amount if I see fit.

The cleaning charges I am not worried about - it's everything else. She has bullied us our entire stay there and she is clearly trying to bully us again. She has enforced the contract the entire year when she wanted something out of us, but she isn't even bothered to enforce it now. Why? Because she knows she's done something wrong.

Old 08-24-2015, 10:35 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jink View Post
So what is the purpose of the law then? If there are no limits, landlords can get away with anything. All of the resources I have looked up point to the landlord illegally holding the security deposit and I am within my rights to demand the entire amount if I see fit.

The cleaning charges I am not worried about - it's everything else. She has bullied us our entire stay there and she is clearly trying to bully us again. She has enforced the contract the entire year when she wanted something out of us, but she isn't even bothered to enforce it now. Why? Because she knows she's done something wrong.

Actually, CA law requires the landlord to postmark the deposit/deductions on or before the 21st day. When was your letter postmarked?

Old 08-24-2015, 10:51 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:

Not sure what you are asking or if you just aren't reading clearly what the poster said. No one said anywhere or implied that 'there are no limits'.

Just shake off the anger and focus that energy on reading and following everything in this link in it's entirety and you will be fine.
California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs
There is enough in this link that you will find the LL has done wrong and/or charged you incorrectly. You just need to make sure you are educated on everything and that you cross every 't' and dot every 'i' in your follow-through.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:03 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:

The 21 day limit is for her to send you the itemized list of charges and any refund due you. LL is not time limited on going after you for damages caused. She could technically charge you for everything exhausting your Sec Dep and as long as she sends thst itemized charge list within 21 days you would have to take her to court.
I send my return deposits 3 day express mail signature required.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:36 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
About half the time I will return the deposit at the time the keys are returned... it has worked well for 30 years and tenants are often most grateful.

Part of the reason is my rental agreements are quite clear as to what I expect and I have always done pre-move inspections since day one... keeps surprises to a minimum.

Also have had tenants asked me straight up how much it will cost them if I have the cleaning done or dispose of trash...

The point is so it is understood I do not work for free...

Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I recently retired from an apt mgr job in CA. Just send a demand letter saying they have lost the right to withhold any of your money because they missed the deadline to return it. They also have to provide you with receipts, which they didn't do. So, in your demand, also ask for receipts, just so it's on record. Give them a week to send your deposit, which they won't do, then file in small claims court. You'll win.

In your small claims form, ask for your full deposit, and then write in "and any punitive damages allowed by the court and any court fees." The judge will determine the amount.

In court, just tell the judge you believe you should get your full deposit back, and any punitive damages he/she thinks is appropriate and your court costs - because the landlord didn't do an initial inspection, didn't return your deposit within 21 days as required by law, and also didn't provide any receipts for deductions. That's all you have to say. And you'll win.

I"ve helped my daughter win against landlords twice for the same, and other friends. In every case they won and the landlords paid up right after the court decision. One landlord appealed, and my daughter just showed up without a lawyer and said the same things she had in small claims court, and won the appeal, too, even though the landlord brought a lawyer. In CA the law is very clear.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:35 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
^^^ Pretty much nailed it.

Helped many co-workers and friends and all prevailed... most did have to file... only two actually ended up in Court.

The last one had me serving the papers... it was a new owner and their first building... I suggested they must know a lawyer they can ask... two hours later the check in full was ready...

Residential Landlord laws in California continue to evolve... sometimes all it takes is presenting the facts.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:34 PM

327 posts, read 766,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Actually, CA law requires the landlord to postmark the deposit/deductions on or before the 21st day. When was your letter postmarked?
She has not sent a deposit or deductions, so there is no postmark.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 2,907 times
Hi Jink,

In case you're still checking this site, how did your case turn out? Have something similar going on. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting