Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,417 times

Advertisements

This is a really good article on how to find rentals when you have dogs that may show up on the aggressive list. It's also great advice and insight for landlords who rent to people.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jade-r...b_8044328.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 10:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Great article. Unfortunately finding THAT tenant who has all its ducks in a row is about as rare as hens teeth. We had tenants with pets. We used to allow pets. But they mistook our kindness for weakness and abused not only our rentals but our trust.
I still have one tenant with a dog. I would prefer tenants with no pets, but if I get one that is that responsible as the ad describes to be I would be more willing to accept.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:37 PM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
The answer is still no. Not even if you insist that your pitbull isnt really a pitbull. He's really an Alaskan Truffle Hound with vet records to prove it.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:10 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,394,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
This is a really good article on how to find rentals when you have dogs that may show up on the aggressive list. It's also great advice and insight for landlords who rent to people.
Everything You Need to Know About Renting With Pit Bull-Type Dogs*|*Jade Rouzeau
Pet owners are not a protected class, so the entire slant of the article that they are being discriminated against immediately negates any possible good it could have done.

The reason some breeds are on the aggressive list is that statistically, that moniker is justified. Some insurance policies will not provide coverage on properties that have these breeds. As a property manager (and animal lover - you should see how many pets I have), it is my job to represent the owner's best interests. I am not an advocate for the tenant which does not mean we treat them badly, but we are not their agent.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:58 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
I don't know... In my opinion, volunteering information is not best strategy. And if a landlord is against certain breeds, he won't change his mind just because yours are cuties...

Would I have a dog, I'd obviously apply only to places where there are no restrictions about "pets", or where it says specifically that "pets" are ok. Then, if I get that pets are OK, I'd look very carefully for words "except certain breeds". If there are no such words in the lease, I'd sign it and move on. If landlord later on tries to say that my super-bull-mastiff (or house alligator) is too scary for a pet, well, it ain't legal if it isn't in the contract.

Old 08-31-2015, 02:27 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,470,844 times
I'd actually be really irritated by someone who used this strategy. We don't deny for aggressive breeds for no reason. We've been directly told by multiple insurance companies that if a tenant has an aggressive breed dog, the home insurance may be dropped. If an incident involving the dog happens, the insurance company will deny coverage and then drop the homeowner's policy.

So if someone wasted my time meeting them at the property without telling me they had an aggressive breed dog, I would not only not rent to them, I'd be angry. This is one example of why we now require full applications before we will even make an appointment to show a property.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:17 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKat View Post
Pet owners are not a protected class, so the entire slant of the article that they are being discriminated against immediately negates any possible good it could have done.

The reason some breeds are on the aggressive list is that statistically, that moniker is justified. Some insurance policies will not provide coverage on properties that have these breeds. As a property manager (and animal lover - you should see how many pets I have), it is my job to represent the owner's best interests. I am not an advocate for the tenant which does not mean we treat them badly, but we are not their agent.
Discrimination isn't against the law. Smoker's aren't a protected class and they are discriminated against as well. Would you feel the same if the article was advice for people with poor credit getting a rental?

The article has good advice for getting dogs accepted. There is nothing wrong or underhanded or shady about it.

If you or your insurance company still doesn't care to shoulder the risk, that's your right.

Old 09-01-2015, 11:36 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,519,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
I don't know... In my opinion, volunteering information is not best strategy. And if a landlord is against certain breeds, he won't change his mind just because yours are cuties...

Would I have a dog, I'd obviously apply only to places where there are no restrictions about "pets", or where it says specifically that "pets" are ok. Then, if I get that pets are OK, I'd look very carefully for words "except certain breeds". If there are no such words in the lease, I'd sign it and move on. If landlord later on tries to say that my super-bull-mastiff (or house alligator) is too scary for a pet, well, it ain't legal if it isn't in the contract.

See that's the problem. Someone allows a pet they assume it's going to be a normal dog not a man eating tiger. This is why LLs go with strict no pet policies. Because tenants tend to push boundaries. No LL wants to deal with a aggressive pet, liability or the damage so they simply say no thank you. And I can't blame them.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:33 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,888,827 times
I am actually both a landlord and a tenant myself. I lease my house to some good people and live in an apartment.

As a landlord I made a conscience choice to lease my house to any tenant and only take extra security deposit for a pet (I probably should've add pet fee too, but I didn't so far). Why? Because the kind of people who would want to rent a single-family house, are kind of people who have children and want to have their pets.

When I started to offer my house for lease, I had to switch from home insurance to commercial landlord insurance. It doesn't cover any liabilities, only damage to the property from fire, water, etc, but has no limitations on pets or breeds or anything of that nature.

Any problems between my tenants and neighbors? It's their problems! They can settle it between themselves, either peacefully, or they could go and call cops on each other. It doesn't matter to me one way or another.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:26 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,424,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
When I started to offer my house for lease, I had to switch from home insurance to commercial landlord insurance. It doesn't cover any liabilities, only damage to the property from fire, water, etc, but has no limitations on pets or breeds or anything of that nature.

Any problems between my tenants and neighbors? It's their problems! They can settle it between themselves, either peacefully, or they could go and call cops on each other. It doesn't matter to me one way or another.
Until their Pit rescue attacks a kid and you are named in the lawsuit, and your insurance doesn't cover your loss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting