Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 05:40 PM

218 posts, read 776,948 times

Advertisements

I have tenants and their lease is up in March.

Obviously I won't know until closer to the date if they wish to renew but I wanted to give them enough time to let them know that I will not be renewing it (I will be moving back in).

How much notice should I give them and should I tell them why or just use a template?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:49 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,808,787 times
The lease will tell you when you *must* give notice. You are not obligated for more than that, and you are not obligated to say why. Although, if you're willing to give them a good reference, maybe you could tell them that, as a way of letting them know it has nothing to do with them.

As a current tenant, I have a good relationship with my landlady. She's been burned before, and I'd understand if she wanted to stick to the terms of the lease. Still, she should know by now the kind of person I am, and I'd hope she'd give me more than the minimum.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:54 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,726,500 times
It sure doesn't hurt to let them know ASAP if you already know for sure. The more time you give them the better so they can prepare and think about what they will do especially if they are not expecting it and they like their place. There is no law or limits to how far ahead of their lease renewal that you notify them so the more notice the better. Moving is never fun plus it is a big expense.

Otherwise, yes of course you always have the option to give them the bare minimum of notice and go by whatever your lease states on what is required. If you don't have anything in your lease then go by your state laws.

And yes, of course tell them why so they don't think anything negative or otherwise.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:58 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,262,350 times
Follow your lease. I would wait for after the holidays, no one needs that stress looming ontop of everything else.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:26 PM

32,707 posts, read 48,291,572 times
Would you move in early if they leave early?

If you want them to stay don't tell them until 30 days or 60 days before the lease is up. If it is ok if they leave early, tell them now and let them know that if they find a good place to move to before the end of the lease, you will let them out of the lease without penalty.

Old 09-01-2015, 04:05 AM

6,579 posts, read 8,441,030 times
According to CA law, if the tenant has lived in the unit for a year or more, you are required to give them 60 days notice.

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 09-01-2015, 07:51 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,421,423 times
Wink Gosh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by toopie28 View Post
I have tenants and their lease is up in March.

Obviously I won't know until closer to the date if they wish to renew but I wanted to give them enough time to let them know that I will not be renewing it (I will be moving back in).

How much notice should I give them and should I tell them why or just use a template?

Thanks.
Why not treat them as you would like to be treated? Now there's a thought, huh?
Koale

Old 09-01-2015, 10:22 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,810,263 times
I understand the dilemma. If you give notice now, they might leave early, even though you have a lease agreement, and then you have to go after them for the unpaid rent for the rest of the lease, or rent it to a short term tenant.

I would let them know 90 days or so in advance. That's enough time for them to find a place, even for them to buy, if that's what they want, if they hustle. Make sure that in addition to notifying them informally, that you also notify them formally by certified mail.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM

6,131 posts, read 8,007,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
Why not treat them as you would like to be treated? Now there's a thought, huh?
Koale
I'd give you 100 reps for that if I could.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:43 PM

218 posts, read 776,948 times
Thanks everyone.

I'll tell them in Jan. They are actually renting out their house and staying in mine (they get more for their house in rent). Every year they ask me to wait a couple of months before renewing lease with me so they can renew with their tenants - so they have somewhere to go.

They have been good tenants and I hate to lose them but life interrupts...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting