Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 01:48 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times

Advertisements

The landlord has the legal right to maintain his property. Working lots of hours on the project will get it done fast. He could have workmen there one day a week and it would take multiple months to finish, which I suspect you would also complain about.

Grit your teeth, stay out of the work men's way, and leash walk you dog for a couple of weeks. Once it is done, enjoy the new repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 03:51 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
The problem is that if you give the LL grief over this, he won't renew your lease. So I would advise you to put up with it. It's not as if HE wants this to go on forever, either.

Old 09-12-2015, 07:40 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,257,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renterbychoice View Post
Thank you. I think this has less to do with ordinances and more to do with tenant rights. I was reading about the "quiet right to enjoyment" for tenants, and I believe this covers what we are dealing with. We are paying a premium for rent based on my knowledge of the neighborhood, but that gave us a fenced in yard and the ability to have the dogs. The rehab/cosmetic work that is taking place takes away our use of the yard - this time for 14 days because workers are there most of the day. My question really is at what point should the landlord take into consideration what the tenant (who is home while the work is going on and deals with the noise and the clean up) has paid to live in and use the property and is now not able to do that. I am not looking to break the lease, but just want a clear understanding of how this should be handled by both parties. I do want to talk with the landlord, but want to make sure I have a clear understanding of landlord tenant rights and responsibilities to have that conversation. Thanks again!
Have you checked your lease? The lease my tenants sign has different verbiage, but this is a standard clause:

Quote:
2. Control of Premises

Landlord also reserves the right to:

(a) make any alterations, repairs, improvements, or additions to the premises or to the building as may be necessary or desirable for the safety, protection or preservation of the premises.

(e) grant to anyone the exclusive right to conduct any particular business or undertaking in the building, to the extent permitted by law.

(f) take any other action that is reasonable in connection with the operation, maintenance or preservation of the premises and not in violation of this Lease.

Any or all of the foregoing rights may be exercised by Landlord without being deemed an eviction or disturbance of Tenants use and possession of the Premises.
Rights of the Landlord - ContractStandards

You having to clean up after them is something I would definitely discuss with your LL. I would NEVER expect a tenant to clean up after a contractor.

Good luck and keep the thread updated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting