Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:20 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,703,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
No, it doesn't. But I'm not the one chastising other posters about advice claiming the Op's neighbors are making noises way beyond what is considered normal.

OP has already said there is poor sound insulation, so that is most likely where the problem is. The neighbors should not be expected to stop living their lives just because OP has to work odd hours. They pay rent too and should be able to enjoy their homes without having to worry about their neighbor's sleep schedule. Sorry, but that is not there problem.

The OP needs to find a way to live with the noise by wearing ear plugs, running a fan, playing soothing music/sounds, etc.
We will just have to agree to disagree on this one. I wasn't referring to only this thread as I specifically stated in my post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:39 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I wasn't referring to only this thread as I specifically stated in my post.
Well, if we are refering to the other noise threads the OP has started, then yes, it is normal apartment noises.

The OP can not expect the neighbors not to cough, flush their toilets, allow their kids to play outside, shower, open their cabinet doors, etc...

//www.city-data.com/forum/renti...ar-inside.html

It seems to me the OP is overly sensitive to noise, and no matter how quiet the neighbors are, there will always be problems.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:00 PM

I was referring to any/all 'loud obnoxious inconsiderate neighbor' threads, not just ones that this OP has posted. There have been many other threads.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:09 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
I was referring to any/all 'loud obnoxious inconsiderate neighbor' threads, not just ones that this OP has posted. There have been many other threads.
Well yes, others have neighbors who are loud and obnoxious. But this thread is not about problems other people have had. This thread is about the OPs issue. I was referring specifically to the OP who has issues with noise due to working/sleeping at different hours then the neighbors.

If you want to talk about general noise complaints, there are plenty of threads for that. You can find them at the bottom of the page under "similar threads".

Old 09-23-2015, 02:12 PM

50,276 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Now we're getting to the root of the problem. The construction of your building is the cause of the noise issues...not the neighbors.

It's not unreasonable to expect your landlord to deal with nuisance noise, but in a poorly insulated building, the line between nuisance and daily living becomes quite blurred.

People can be evicted for nuisance noise, but not for daily living noise. If someone continues to complain about daily living noise, especially when they know they live in a poorly constructed building, they can expect a non renewal notice when their lease is up.

Here's the thing....You're going to hear noise no matter where you live unless you go totally deaf and then you'll 'feel' the noise and complain about that. If it's nuisance noise, your landlord should deal with it. If it's not, you're SOL.
We had a guy complain because we flushed the toilet and took a shower too early.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Well yes, others have neighbors who are loud and obnoxious. But this thread is not about problems other people have had. This thread is about the OPs issue. I was referring specifically to the OP who has issues with noise due to working/sleeping at different hours then the neighbors.

If you want to talk about general noise complaints, there are plenty of threads for that. You can find them at the bottom of the page under "similar threads".
Again, we will just have to agree to disagree.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:18 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
We had a guy complain because we flushed the toilet and took a shower too early.

Yup and I bet they expected you to conform to their schedule. These kinds of noise complaints are ridiculous and sadly that's what most of the complaints on this forum consist of. Very rarely do you hear complaints about parties or fighting or loud booming music.

I hope your landlord told him to get ear plugs

Old 09-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Where did the OP say that they CHOSE to work an odd shift? Many people take the jobs that they can get. Maybe you are lucky and can be choosy about what hours you work, but not all of us are so lucky. If a third shift job is all I can get to pay the bills, that's what I'm going to take.

Sorry, but I use earplugs AND a large box fan on high and it doesn't drown out most noises that come from adjoining units, thumping bass or anything as such. I see people posting that "solution" so much, but it doesn't solve anything.

I'm sorry you're having this issue, OP. I've dealt with it many times myself. It comes down to a lack of consideration. Nobody cares anymore about how their actions affect others.
And when people put themselves in positions that they have to work second or third shift, be it by choice or necessity, it doesn't change the fact that they can't expect the rest of world to remain silent so they can sleep.

Yes, I am lucky.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Yup and I bet they expected you to conform to their schedule. These kinds of noise complaints are ridiculous and sadly that's what most of the complaints on this forum consist of. Very rarely do you hear complaints about parties or fighting or loud booming music.

I hope your landlord told him to get ear plugs
You know you don't have to read or respond to these types of threads if you don't like the topic. But to put people down and berate them all the time about this issue is not helping matters.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:41 PM

Quote:
You know you don't have to read or respond to these types of threads if you don't like the topic. But to put people down and berate them all the time about this issue is not helping matters.

You know you don't have read or respond to any of my posts on these threads and yet you continue to do so.

And who did I put down? The OP? Well their noise complaints are ridiculous especially if they expect total silence during daylight hours.

And we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting