Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2018, 12:47 PM

3 posts, read 8,315 times

Advertisements

Hello,

On Feb 7th, I moved out of an apartment complex in Dallas, Texas to move in with my family to reduce my monthly cost.

The carpet was new when I moved in a year prior, and I took good care of it until I accidentally sprayed a cleaning solution that contains bleach.

I've seen the carpet guys while I lived there, and they did do patch works, so I figured i'll just let the apartment complex do that after I move out.

After I moved out, the apartment complex came back to me with $350 charge instead of $300 security deposit, saying that they needed to replace the carpet because they no longer work with the same carpet vendor.

So I called the said vendor to see if they still do carpet for the complex, and he said 'yes', and I asked how much it'll cost to do a patch work, and he said $75 if the area is as I described it (foot by foot at most).

Then, I went back to the apartment complex to see if they actually changed the vendor and replaced the entire unit's carpet, and they provided me with an invoice from another carpet vendor.

in the email, the manager at the apartment said they expect at least 5 years on the life of the carpet.

So my questions are:

1. Although my damage was only $75 and older vendor with the same exact carpet was available a phone call away, can the apartment complex make me pay for replacement of the entire unit's carpet?

2. Since the landlord said in an email that he expect the life of the carpet to be at least 5 years, and I lived on it for a year, shouldn't I only need to pay 4/5 proration of the damage/re-installtion on the carpet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2018, 02:55 PM

So I just had a call with the management, and they were trying to charge me for:

original carpet installation cost * 4/5

but the new installation was cheaper then above amount by $50.

so they want me to pay for the entire cost of replacement of the carpet instead ($50 cheaper).

Old 02-28-2018, 04:13 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
You messed up the carpet you pay.

Old 02-28-2018, 04:39 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
1) You can be charged for the entire room even if you think it could have been patched, a patch in the middle of a room looks horrible and wears very poorly.

2) They can likely prorate out at 10 years even on the cheapest of cheap carpet.

Sounds like they might be over charging by a couple bucks but the court costs will be way higher, when you lose you will pay for their court costs and attorney fees, so I'd just pay it and move on.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:23 AM

13,707 posts, read 12,418,158 times
Eh...It was new carpet when you got it.

And, you did burn a hole in it.

They aren't "obligated" to fix it, they are within their rights to replace it.

For $350, I would pay it and move on with my life.

Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,467,288 times
It sounds like they are charging you $650 total (your $300 deposit not being refunded, plus an additional $350 bill).

Is carpet that expensive in your area for one room? In my area, carpet, pad and install is under $400 for a room, sometimes as low as $200 if cheap carpet is used.

So that seems high to me.

But they can charge you 4/5 of the cost to replace that whole room. They aren't required to patch.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:44 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,894,516 times
You can file a lawsuit in small claims court. It likely will cost you about $100 to file and serve, which you will get back if you win.

I agree you pay for the depreciated amount and the LL has no obligation to "patch" regardless of your beliefs.

If you want to spend a hundred to get a hundred or two back, be my guest.

But either pay or sue. Don't ignore it. If you ignore it, it goes to collections and bill grows and grows and grows and trashes your credit.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:36 AM

Thanks everyone.
I gave in and paid the full amount that the apartment demanded.
I'm planning on buying a house sometime within a year, and I really need to have one less ding on my credit report to save multi grand or more.
Thanks everyone, and I'll consider thing event as an another expensive lesson learnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting