Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:33 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times

Advertisements

Well cant put a LIEN on any property till they are presented with a Bill. & there is time for the person to Pay the bill. Then the OP friend can sue in court. Only then can the court place a lien on the LL property. Even with all this the bill may not get paid until the property is sold. & Even then it may not get paid. I had Years of Tax Liens on my property. When it got re-poed by the Bank they got the money from the sale. I still owe 2 yrs of back Taxes. So any money the OP thinks is owed to her friend might as well forget about it. Me I just pay the friend out of my pocket... just cause he was doing me the favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 AM

274 posts, read 427,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I have a question for the OP... While Section 8 in your area seems to cover rent from day one .... Who pays those 20 days of late fees? IS the 1st section 8 check cover the next months rent also...or is this a constant 20 days late on the rent problem? This is why LL in my area & Section 8 says You the tenant pays the 1st months rent. When I moved in to this complex I had to pay the 1st months rent in Full. LL in my area wont wait 20 days later for rent & wont allow tenants to be constantly 20 days late. This could be why the LL changed their minds. Please Explain.
For the first month (or in my case almost 3 months) the tenant is responsible for paying the rent waiting on the first check from Section 8. If that is late, then it is the tenants responsibility to pay the late fees. Once that first payment arrives, they are only responsible for their portion.

I had an issue where I changed my mailing address with section 8. They messed up, and apparently transposed some numbers (girl admitted it) and it didn't get caught until the end of the month after repeated "where is my check" calls. I clarified with the director of our local office and she pointed out that in my contract, I agreed to not charge late fees for the section 8 portion no matter the reason for a late payment.

That left a bad taste in my mouth...they can mess up, and take their sweet time sending checks, but I don't have any recourse.

That, along with my renter, plus the fact my checks never came in until the 6th-8th of the month (mailed out on the 1st or the following business day, DD wasnt' an option) for the non renewal of the lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting